Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this heat wave last much longer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yummymummy82

Will people please stop complaining about the weather, it's amazing we are blessed and just enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Will people please stop complaining about the weather, it's amazing we are blessed and just enjoy it while it lasts.

No.

tumblr_m6g6t7EkmA1rujy5uo1_400.jpg

In all seriousness, it's the temps at night that get me. It's been grand the last two days though, cooler :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

This morning's output certainly looks less likely to deliver record breaking heat. Finally an increasing chance of thunderstorms. After a scorching weekend that looks likely those first few drops of rain will certainly feel pretty sweet of they transpire next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I speak as an Italian, that is what I am... Useless to say that I'm used to this kind of weather, we generally have 30-35 degrees from mid-July to mid-August and I just love it.
    And I live in an area where the summer only lasts four weeks... In the southern Italy they have much higher temperatures and for longer time.
    I and my wife were on holiday in Ireland in June for three weeks and we missed the first heatwave (between the end of May and the beginning of June) by a week.
    We had a very bad first week of holiday, then a reasonably good weather in the middle week and a pretty good weather in the third and last week.
    Now that we're home we're reading that the weather over there is wonderful, dry and warm since we left Ireland... And here we have mixed weather, rainstorms, hailstorms (on last Saturday the hailstones were as big as ping pong balls) and thurderstorms (last night we had a wonderful show of thousands of lightnings), but not a settled summer as we would like...
    So don't complain for this unusual (to you) weather, and enjoy it.
    To those who don't like it, be positive, it won't last forever.
    To those who like it, unfortunately it won't last forever.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

dopolahpec wrote: »
    This morning's output certainly looks less likely to deliver record breaking heat. Finally an increasing chance of thunderstorms. After a scorching weekend that looks likely those first few drops of rain will certainly feel pretty sweet of they transpire next week.

Whats the timescale for the breakdown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats the timescale for the breakdown?

It's only model output. But a thundery break in the dryness looking likely next week. Whether the heat follows suit quickly or not is debatable. The GFS showing onset of cooler conditions in approx 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

So don't complain for this unusual (to you) weather, and enjoy it.
    To those who don't like it, be positive, it won't last forever.
    To those who like it, unfortunately it won't last forever.
    ;)

Wise words. Grazie!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oceanblue

I didn't really notice anyone complaining about the weather. People can have different experiences of the heatwave.

Personally I'm in the "be postive, it won't last forever" category. I've enjoyed the small drop in temperature over the past couple of days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I and my wife were on holiday in Ireland in June for three weeks and we missed the first heatwave (between the end of May and the beginning of June) by a week.

The June spell was more typified by brilliant sunshine, it wasn't particularly warm nationwide, hot in the west for a few days but high teens/low 20s elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The June spell was more typified by brilliant sunshine, it wasn't particularly warm nationwide, hot in the west for a few days but high teens/low 20s elsewhere.

The week from 10th to 16th June was wet and cold... At least in the area where we were at that time, counties Kildare, Carlow, Wexford, with 11th and 12th being the worst days.

Today it's raining here as well, with dozens of lightinings and thunders (one of my cats is terrified by them!). The morning temperature dropped from 24°C yesterday to 17°C today. My guess is that our summer is gone :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

This thread is proof that Irish people are never done complaining. You get a couple of warm days and now its too hot.

Grow a set of balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

MagnusDamm wrote: »
    This thread is proof that Irish people are never done complaining. You get a couple of warm days and now its too hot.

Grow a set of balls

+1

And the same people complaining about it being 17C at night time will pay to go to Spain to sleep in night time temperatures of 27C.

If warm at night, open windows, open bedroom door, get rid of covers, get rid of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tiredgirl23

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    +1

And the same people complaining about it being 17C at night time will pay to go to Spain to sleep in night time temperatures of 27C.

If warm at night, open windows, open bedroom door, get rid of covers, get rid of clothes.

This is Ireland, not Spain. We are not used to such extremes of temperature. If I'm going away, I seek out cooler parts. We enjoy complaining about the weather in Ireland, it's not meant to be taken so seriously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

30c highs every day since I started work. Leaving the nice air conditioned building to get the tube after work feels like descending into the bowels of hell. 25-26 at midnight quite a bit of the time too. 5c cooler would be really nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

In Salou at the moment and it's been up around 32/34c every day for the past two weeks. Got to see a great 2 hour lightning storm last night as well. Then this morning I opened the curtains in the room to see it was pissing rain outside and thought to myself "I bet the weather in Ireland is better than this". Is there something wrong with that sentence? :D

Still delighted to hear it will be warm this weekend, looking forward to coming back to sun and warmth than the usual cold and miserable weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Grow a set of balls

take a walk outside in this wether and your balls will def grow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

This weather is seriously making me think about relocating to a warmer climate once and for all. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭briany

We enjoy complaining about the weather in Ireland, it's not meant to be taken so seriously :D

We enjoy complaining but also enjoy commenting.

"'tis fierce mild!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Answer to OP - I hope so

Just gorgeous. Here in Nth County Dublin its lovely and warm but I wouldn't say hot. Lovely to be sitting in the garden, having meals outdoors and the garden is getting lots of attention that we didn't give it the last few summers.

Please let the Summer last for the Summer :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

30c highs every day since I started work. Leaving the nice air conditioned building to get the tube after work feels like descending into the bowels of hell. 25-26 at midnight quite a bit of the time too. 5c cooler would be really nice...

I've been on the tube in normal temperatures and its been hot but lord god I'd say its pure roasting now, some amount of sweaty backs, armpits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

This is Ireland, not Spain. We are not used to such extremes of temperature. If I'm going away, I seek out cooler parts. We enjoy complaining about the weather in Ireland, it's not meant to be taken so seriously :D

Extremes of temperature? Please tell me your joking? It rarely tipped 27 has it? I've spent June working in temperatures of 47 Celsius.

This heat wave we are having is not extreme temperature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Extremes of temperature? Please tell me your joking? It rarely tipped 27 has it? I've spent June working in temperatures of 47 Celsius.

its been 30 degrees or more down south quite a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

dfbemt wrote: »
    Answer to OP - I hope so

Just gorgeous. Here in Nth County Dublin its lovely and warm but I wouldn't say hot. Lovely to be sitting in the garden, having meals outdoors and the garden is getting lots of attention that we didn't give it the last few summers.

Please let the Summer last for the Summer :)

Isn't it Autumn at the start of August?
    I don't really like sunny weather but I have to admit I'm enjoying this nice break from the norm.
    I just sit out in the garden under an umbrella avoiding the nasty rays. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tiredgirl23

I wish I was joking. For many people in Ireland, these temperatures are extreme. There is even a possibility of 'Absolute drought'. Met Eireann have published a Status Yellow warning today.

High Temperature Warning for Ireland
    Temperatures will reach values between 27 and 30 degrees in many areas today and Saturday. Nights will be warm and humid also. The very warm and humid weather will continue next week.

Issued:Thursday 18 July 2013 19:00
    Valid:Friday 19 July 2013 08:00 to Sunday 21 July 2013 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I wish I was joking. For many people in Ireland, these temperatures are extreme. There is even a possibility of 'Absolute drought'. Met Eireann have published a Status Yellow warning today.

Temperatures will reach values between 27 and 30 degrees in many areas today and Saturday. Nights will be warm and humid also. The very warm and humid weather will continue next week.

I'm not sure the temperature is extreme,,but I'd say it's how long We've been having this hot weather.

Yup,,it's going to be hot,hot,hot this weekend...And chances of some thunderstorm activity from Monday onwards.

The UK are predicting that the middle of next week will be the hottest there,with temps hitting a possible 35 degrees,,which will be followed by Thunderstorms a few days later to break the current hot spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

The majority of people in Ireland aren't complaining. I've yet to see anyone on my Facebook complain, only the basement-dwellers of Boards.ie and {snip} people are complaining - they're still a minority.

Drought, prolonged cold snaps (Winter 2010), and high winds are the only extremes Ireland can be subjected to. Meteorologists in continental Europe, North America and many other place would laugh you if you called this weather extreme.

If we get water restrictions, then you have the right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Ah shure this Irish weather is a joke. Sun, heat, no rain year after year. Cant remember the last time I saw rain. Terrible it is , truly terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

We know, yeesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

We know, yeesh.
    Not extreme when compared to other countries maybe.
    This however is Ireland, when you look at the average temps for this part of the world we are most definitely experiencing extreme temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

not a sign of a brass monkey these days, long may it last :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement