Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic Williamstown / dunmore roads?

Options
  • 13-07-2013 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi just curious about 'rush hour' traffic on the Williamstown road and Dunmore road. I'm thinking of renting either in Collins avenue or one of the estates on the Williamstown road but have heard they can both be really slow moving, especially In the morning (and during school term I guess).
    Is it really bad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Honestly, yes!

It has become a lot better with the ORR and stuff, but rush hour (school run, work finishing) is still a very frustrating time to be on the road.

I drive out that way to work most days, luckily never around either of those times, have been caught in the traffic before though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

Don't see traffic as a major problem, live in Collins av work on the estate takes me 15 mind in the morning to get to work no delays ! Evenings bit busier only gets heavy around ardkeen takes 5 tops 10 mind to get from ardkeen roundabout to ca, now its a different story if you head straight into town towards newtown , Lombard st ! All in all wouldn't let traffic phase u if u use the orr !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If your going to Collins Avenue or any of the estates before, you have part of the battle over with. The further out you are, the worse it gets. But even at Collins Avenue, it still takes drivers an AGE to get on. Letting out drivers from the estates and not being able to drive seems to add to the delays. Mainly during the school term its bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I think Williamstown would be better to live if you were looking to avoid traffic but it really depends on where you work or need to get to on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

I've lived out the dunmore road for years. Back in the Celtic tiger era, it used to be mental. It isn't that bad especially if your only going up to the Hospital and then heading for the Orr.

It really depends where you working. Most days you can get to the industrial estate in 15 mins.

Also public transport on the Williamstown road is happening every hour whereas on the Dunmore is every 20 mins at peak times and 30 mins at non peak times.

If you can get past the traffic disruption in the morning, I highly recommend Collins avenue, quiet peaceful estate and safe for kids to play without much traffic and plenty of green areas.

Questions about the area I would happily answer as I have lived in many estates along the Dunmore road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Thanks for the replies :) Yeah I'd be planning to use the ORR alright. I dont work in the industrial estate, but not far from it, near Lisduggan. I've to be there about 8.40 most mornings so maybe that tiny bit ahead of 9 is enough to beat the heaviest traffic of school runs (say leaving home around 8.20) ?!
    Another option is Ardkeen village though friends living there say traffic isn't a problem for them.
    As I said I'll only be renting but I'm hoping to buy in the next few years and would like that general area I think

Thanks madfcuker, I may be PMing you when I narrow things down a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

araic88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies :) Yeah I'd be planning to use the ORR alright. I dont work in the industrial estate, but not far from it, near Lisduggan. I've to be there about 8.40 most mornings so maybe that tiny bit ahead of 9 is enough to beat the heaviest traffic of school runs (say leaving home around 8.20) ?!
    Another option is Ardkeen village though friends living there say traffic isn't a problem for them.
    As I said I'll only be renting but I'm hoping to buy in the next few years and would like that general area I think

If your goal is to get out to lisduggan before 8.40, you should see no problem living out the dumore road. If you left at 8.15 from where I live in the middle of a school year you should get out to lisduggan by 8.35 the latest. Sure give me a shout I would be happy to help.

I wouldn't recommend ardkeen due to recent volumes of break ins but that's another story. I would recommend your new house having an alarm in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

We lived in Grantstown Park a while back. It took 8 minutes to get past the lights at the top of the Island Lane. It took another 15 minutes to get to the Cork Road Industrial estate entrance. Now, if you want to go down John's Hill or in by Glenville that's a whole different ball game!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

araic88 wrote: »

If you have to be there at 8:40, leave the house at 8:10/8:15. Five minutes can mean the difference in a straight run and being caught in a tailback.

Advertisement