Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy vomiting. Help!

• 13-07-2013 6:18am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Twice last night, my puppy seemed to vomit. It was on two toilet runs in the night, and she started making gurgling sounds before heaving up yellow bubbly liquid. Both times she then simply went back into her bed and fell asleep as if she was fine, having her usual "I wanna play" sniffs along the way.

As a first time dog owner, I am worried. She was very energetic before bed last night. Wondering if we over-exhausted her causing vomiting? Should I be getting her to a vet ASAP?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Has she been eating grass? That's probably the cause.

It's defintely something in her stomach upsetting her, if it happens again I'd bring her straight to vet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nope, no grass. 100% sure of that. She hasn't been near any cause our garden doesn't have any and I am not letting her near the park till she gets full vacs. She's 9 weeks old if it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd hold off and see how she is today as long as she's happy and not acting lethargic. Assuming you're feeding dry food soak it in warm water until it's musy and split it into smaller meals so it's easier to digest. You'll know pretty soon after the first meal if she's not well.

And 2 runs to the loo during the night?! Don't say that - our puppy comes home next week lol! :p

Well' as an update, she seems fine now. Woke up this morning full of energy and appetite. Will be keeping very close eye on her though. Scared the living daylights out of me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What time was her last meal last night op?
    And just on the grass thing, they often eat it when they're feeling a bit off because it helps to get any icky stuff in the tummy back up and out via vomit (which often contains the grass), or helps it pass through the other end faster (the poop, which will often be soft, containing the grass too).
    My point is that eating grass doesn't make them sick... They eat it because they feel sick.
    That said, dogs often nibble on grass just because they like to, but you don't tend to get the vomiting or the runs in conjunction with it in these cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Keep an eye on her, but also make sure she is drinking enough water, particularly in this heat. Great that she has her appetite back today though. Allpets is open til 5 today so keep an eye on her and bring her up if you need to.

Well, no more vomiting all day.

If anything, her energy levels have gone through the roof. She's been manic all day. Can't believe I was up half the night worried she was going to die given how full of life she is today :pac:

Advertisement