Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock Allotments

Options
  • 13-07-2013 8:47am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I see there's a sign at Ashtown Railway station for allottments, and it's pointing up along the canal towards Blanch. I've been up as far as the next lock and didn't come across any though.
    Does anyone know where they are, and does anyone use them.

(The sign is a bit amateurish looking so I presume it's a private operation and not the council.)

I know someone who is keen to get an allotment and this area might suit him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Is this up along the Navan road from the renault garage to the travel lodge or along river road?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Somewhere along the canal itself between Ashtown Station and Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

As far as I know there are allotments near clonsilla station.

Or "plots" as we called them when I was small :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just over the tracks from Clonsilla and it's almost an immediate right turn. Beechfield or Beechpark I think the name is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

January wrote: »
    Just over the tracks from Clonsilla and it's almost an immediate right turn. Beechfield or Beechpark I think the name is.

That's the one. Between the station and the park/playground.

http://www.beechparkallotments.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Gaspode wrote: »
    Somewhere along the canal itself between Ashtown Station and Blanchardstown.

Any more news on this, it makes no sense to me to have a sign at ashtown for clonsilla miles away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No, haven't found out any more, and haven't had a chance to walk up the canal either. Maybe this weekend I'll get time to have a bit of a nose and see where they are. I could ring the number I suppose, but I'm wary of any business that offers only a mobile and nothing else for contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

They could also try and get an allotment from Fingal in Powerstown which is up near Tyrellstown.

It's cheaper, 5x10m plot é50 and 10x10m plot é100 pa. You are also allowed to plant fruit trees there, which you are not in Beech park.

Here's Fingals site http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/Allotments/

As for being wary of the Beechpark site which has with only a mobile number, I think in this case your apprehension may be a bit misplaced. The bloke that runs the show would not normally be at a desk with a landline beside him. Also,, you have an address for him that you can visit ie his plots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

One of the guys in play football with has an allotment in Beechpark. He has the standard size lot and shares it with a family member.

He is having a great harvest from it this year, giving me ideas now of taking on one.

Murt10 wrote: »
    As for being wary of the Beechpark site which has with only a mobile number, I think in this case your apprehension may be a bit misplaced. The bloke that runs the show would not normally be at a desk with a landline beside him. Also,, you have an address for him that you can visit ie his plots

I really don't think the sign I'm seeing is for Beechpark, that's way too far away. This site seems to be somewhere between Phoenix park train station and Blanch village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gaspode wrote: »
    I really don't think the sign I'm seeing is for Beechpark, that's way too far away. This site seems to be somewhere between Phoenix park train station and Blanch village.
    I saw the sign at the entrance to the canal tow path at Ashtown level crossing. I don't recall if there was a phone number on the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I often jog along the canal between Ashtown and the M50 and can confirm that there are no allotments along the way. Are you sure they're not pointing up the little lane just before the tracks? https://www.google.ie/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-6.332748!3d53.375284!2m2!1f262.94!2f68.89!4f75!2m4!1e1!2m2!1sgSpiDLtpk3PE4K2BgqOi-w!2e0&fid=5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Are you sure they're not pointing up the little lane just before the tracks?
    The sign I saw is on the other side of the tracks.

That little lane only goes up about 100m to a building that used to do car repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Has anyone heard anything more about these? I'm based in Ashtown and am interested in an allotment.

I tried texting the number on the sign but got no reply..

No, I tried the number as well but got no answer. I've walked the whole route from Ashtown to Blanchardstown and didn't see any allotments.

It's definitely the allotments at Clonsilla then... They're the only allotments in the area apart from the Fingal ones in near Tyrellstown.

It's definitely the allotments at Clonsilla then... They're the only allotments in the area apart from the Fingal ones in near Tyrellstown.

But they're called beechpark allotments, also the number on their website is different..

What's the name of the allotments on the sign?

What's the name of the allotments on the sign?

Castleknock allotments..

Advertisement