Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless N ADSL2+ Router

• 13-07-2013 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

I have a TP Link 8960 router which is 300mbps.

Been trying to find out what speed BB it can support, but can't seem to find an answer. Even looking on the TP Link website can't seem to give me a solution!

Does anyone know?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

that is a strange question, why would you want to know what broadband speed it can support? what have you nearby, eircom fibre, upc etc? the 300mbps is the wireless speed and bears no relation to the router speed, so if your provider does 24mb, the router will handle 24mb.

say a bit more as i am confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand the 300mbps is the speed of the router. I want to know if the router can handle high speed BB; e.g 25, 50 or 70Mb. AFAIK there are both Eircom and UPC fibre BB cables at my sv/ex. So, not really a strange Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Well its a ADSL2+ modem, so won't go past 24mb because adsl2+ it limited to 24mb, for 25, 50, 70mb speeds you will need a VDSL2 modem, but the providers at the moment will not support the use of a 3rd party modem for VDSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

24mb. It's designed for copper and the best copper can handle is 24mb, but you'll only get 24mb if you live beside the exchange.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling that was the answer, but for the life of me, I couldn't find one on the 'net!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

ah to explain, that router can be used with fibre/cable broadband as well but only as a router. so for example if you had eircom fibre you could bridge the eircom/modem router and use the TP Link 8960 as router. You do lose a lan port as it does have a wan port. I know nothig about UPC so dont know what they provide.

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dochealth

Not directly related...

Would an N router give coverage from an outside timber office to a room 120 feet away to the far side of a house?

Sorry for piggybacking on thread but reading this reminded of the need to sort out bb coverage for house.
    Thanks DH

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Hi all. Firstly - I'm very untechy when it comes to phone lines/broadband type things, good with electrical stuff strangley - so be gentle (ie for dummies) with any replies. Have eircom broadband which works fine but drops when a call comes through - what I have in the house is 2 phone sockets - the main one for the modem and 1 phone both connected to the 2 socket thingy (see what I mean), I also have a second phone socket with 2 phones - 1 cordless connected to it - any suggestions as to why broadband drops with a phone call? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Cork981

Hi all. Firstly - I'm very untechy when it comes to phone lines/broadband type things, good with electrical stuff strangley - so be gentle (ie for dummies) with any replies. Have eircom broadband which works fine but drops when a call comes through - what I have in the house is 2 phone sockets - the main one for the modem and 1 phone both connected to the 2 socket thingy (see what I mean), I also have a second phone socket with 2 phones - 1 cordless connected to it - any suggestions as to why broadband drops with a phone call? Thanks.

Id say you have no filter on the lines.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Cork981 wrote: »
    Id say you have no filter on the lines.

Yup, either the filters are missing or broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

How many filters do I need - one for each socket/one for each phone?

You need one. Connect the filter to the socket that has the modem. Connect the filter to the socket, then plug in the modem and the phone jack where indicated on the filter. If the phone's cordless, you don't need to plug into another phone socket. Just the power socket will do.

Dochealth wrote: »
    Not directly related...

Would an N router give coverage from an outside timber office to a room 120 feet away to the far side of a house?

Sorry for piggybacking on thread but reading this reminded of the need to sort out bb coverage for house.
    Thanks DH

If it's wireless - yes, it should do. How fast is the router?

Advertisement