Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian emigrating to Ireland - Jobs, work permits

Options
  • 13-07-2013 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everybody!

I'm moving back home from Australia this year and bringing my Australian girlfriend with me.

My question is if anybody knows what it's like getting permission to work in Ireland? She has already done a working holiday here a few years ago so would be moving with me as a de facto partner.

We have contacted relevant offices in Ireland and have learned that so long as we can prove a relationship of 2 years or more then there should be no problem. The only thing is, you may have to wait up to 6 months before this permission is granted.

Has anyone else gone through this process and if so how long did you wait before you could work?

I understand it's going to be incredibly difficult to find work but it's quiet daunting to think we might have to wait 6 months before she can even be considered to work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055870436/18/#post85088025

Check out this thread - all the info you need is on there. But yes, it can take 6 months, occasionally longer and to get the visa you must prove you can support yourselves during that time and also if she cannot get a job. You must show that you will not need to rely upon state assistance to reside here

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

Going the wrong way mate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does she do? If it's on the shortage list, it may be easier to get a work visa to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 don023

3 Months and 1 week...

A letter from immigration arrived today to confirm residency. Application was put in the end of November and confirmation the 1st week in March. With the break over Christmas I'd say the process took about 3 months

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

don023 wrote: »
    3 Months and 1 week...

A letter from immigration arrived today to confirm residency. Application was put in the end of November and confirmation the 1st week in March. With the break over Christmas I'd say the process took about 3 months

Thats residency. Residency does not infer a right to work (unfortunately).
    What field does she work in?

• Advertisement

Yes it does

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

don023 wrote: »
    Yes it does

Are you sure?

For it to automatically apply- you would normally have to be married (according to the DJEI). Outside of that- it depends on what sector your spouse works in (IT, Finance and a list of approved areas- are pretty much guaranteed acceptance- any job with a gross pay of under 30k/pa is normally automatically excluded.

It depends on which sector she works in. It is not automatic.

Oh right, i guess she falls under "Spouses, recognised partners and eligible dependant" and got a stamp 4 which means "the non-EEA national will not require an employment permit to work in the State"

Advertisement