Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swimming in heat

• 13-07-2013 9:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello

This is probably the wrong forum and a stoopid question

Anyways heading abroad and will be swimming

I will be wearing a waterproof sun cream

They always advise that after swimming you should re apply your sun cream - but after swimming you are wet and I don't think that putting sun cream on wet skin is affective

So

1. After getting out of water should I lye in the sun and wait for the sun to dry me before applying the sun cream

OR

2. After getting out of the water should I dry myself with a towel and then apply the sun cream.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Hello

This is probably the wrong forum and a stoopid question

Anyways heading abroad and will be swimming

I will be wearing a waterproof sun cream

They always advise that after swimming you should re apply your sun cream - but after swimming you are wet and I don't think that putting sun cream on wet skin is affective

So

1. After getting out of water should I lye in the sun and wait for the sun to dry me before applying the sun cream

OR

2. After getting out of the water should I dry myself with a towel and then apply the sun cream.

If you need to re-apply sun cream, lying in the sun is not a good idea so No. 1 makes no sense. Besides, it takes a good 20 minutes for the suncream to be fully effective after applying. 20 minutes in the tropical sun can easily burn most people.

So, after swimming, dry off in the shade. Even if you have no towel, in warm weather you'll be 90% dry in a few minutes anyway. Reapply the suncream, being slightly wet should be ok. Ideally, wait 20 minutes before going in the sun again.

Don't forget other protection: close weave short with a collar, wrap around sunglasses, wide brimmed hat (not baseball cap). And avoid sun from 11am-3pm as much as possible.

I'm sure people will come on here and that's all too much trouble, but what I'm saying is the ideal and recommended. Sunburn is bad, end of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Thanks for that. So half an hour before swimming, I would be putting on a water resistant sun cream, then maybe swim for 30-40 mins.

The sun cream should probably last for 2 hours in normal circumstances.

Would this swimming for 30 mins mean I would have to apply after swimming i.e. would the swimming wash off the sun screen or should it be ok for another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Thanks for that. So half an hour before swimming, I would be putting on a water resistant sun cream, then maybe swim for 30-40 mins.

The sun cream should probably last for 2 hours in normal circumstances.

Would this swimming for 30 mins mean I would have to apply after swimming i.e. would the swimming wash off the sun screen or should it be ok for another while.

Well, your first post answered this; no sunscreen is really waterproof and 30 minutes is a long time to be in water, so yes you need to re-apply it. People like the Irish Cancer Society certainly advise that.

Advertisement