Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Router to Airport Extreme

• 13-07-2013 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a UPC Cisco Wireless router, its not great,

I want to use my Airport Extreme

Is is as simply as switch off wireless on UPC, ethernet into the AE and thats it? and let AE manage Wireless ?

Any help appreciated

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes, just set the Airport to work in bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Graham wrote: »
    Yes, just set the Airport to work in bridge mode.

Perfect...works a dream...

Now you just need another 2 or 3 of them, blanket the house in WiFi and connect speakers to them all. Perfect for music around the house in the summer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Perfect...works a dream...

Thinking of doing this with my UPC modem. How are you finding it?
    Graham wrote: »
    Now you just need another 2 or 3 of them, blanket the house in WiFi and connect speakers to them all. Perfect for music around the house in the summer :D

How do you go about linking them all up? Run an ethernet cable from all of them to the UPC modem? Or can it be done wirelessly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I'd be interested to hear how the signal strength is? I have UPC and need to seriously change router from Netgear to AE. Signal strength with Netgear is brutal so need something better.

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote: »
    Thinking of doing this with my UPC modem. How are you finding it?

How do you go about linking them all up? Run an ethernet cable from all of them to the UPC modem? Or can it be done wirelessly?

They can all connect wirelessly, just leave the original airport connected to your router over ethernet.

It's great for Skype/FaceTime too.

Stephen P wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear how the signal strength is? I have UPC and need to seriously change router from Netgear to AE. Signal strength with Netgear is brutal so need something better.

Signal strenght is excellent, and speeds are ok, Ihave 50MB and was getting 35 on wireless based on two rooms away

May connect Airport Express next

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread, OP, but does anyone have any experiences with the Technicolor TC7200 modem/router that UPC are now providing? Will I be able to get it working with my Airport? Nothing but complaints about it in the Broadband forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Here's a good step-by-step guide to setup the UPC Cisco router to work with an another/apple router;
    http://www.ronanskehill.com/2013/02/16/bridging-cisco-epc3925-and-using-asus-rt-n16-instead-howto/
    Especially like the bit about using the same SSID/password on the new router so you don't have to re-connect all your devices.
    I used this with the latest time capsule, connection stability seems improved and wifi speed is up from <40Mbps to >50Mbps (yes just over 50Mbps on "up to" 50Mbps connection)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread, OP, but does anyone have any experiences with the Technicolor TC7200 modem/router that UPC are now providing? Will I be able to get it working with my Airport? Nothing but complaints about it in the Broadband forum.

Ok press the reset pin on your Airport Extreme.

Then connect your TC7200 modem/router by ethernet to the Airport Extreme. Then put the Airport extreme into bridging mode. Next step is to turn off the SSID/wifi address on your UPC modem. leaving the only SSID searchable on your network the Airport Extreme. This should give you a nice stable connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭uphillonly

Stephen P wrote: »

I've been doing this for a couple of years. I think my Airport Extreme model is about 3 years old.

Wifi coverage is impressive & does 50mb in the same room. 20mb a floor above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

If you have the 3925 and have the ability to turn it into bridge mode, rather than the airport extreme, it works perfectly.

Description here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758726

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Ok press the reset pin on your Airport Extreme.

Then connect your TC7200 modem/router by ethernet to the Airport Extreme. Then put the Airport extreme into bridging mode. Next step is to turn off the SSID/wifi address on your UPC modem. leaving the only SSID searchable on your network the Airport Extreme. This should give you a nice stable connection.

Hey
    Quick question - I've been using mac for years, have the iMac, extreme, iPhone, iPad. I got my TC7200 today and I'm not sure why I'm using the extreme anymore. What benefits does it have over the TC7200 on its own.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Another hijack, can these work with the horizon box? Parent's house is shocking for wifi signal strength.

If your cable box has an ethernet port, the Airport Extreme should plug straight into it. As danger mouse said, you'll probably then need to stick the Airport into bridging mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

As a side note, for anyone thinging buying an extreme, the 5th gen are now €79 in the refurb store.

I've been running this model with the cisco modem (bridged) for almost two years and its been rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 patrickobrien

Apologies for jumping but need similar advice. I have UPC Technicolor TC7200 A Time Capsule and an airport Extreme at present I have TC and the extreme plugged into the back go UPC. The signal is not great from the TC but it is from the extreme is this the best setup method or should they be in a daisy chain

Apologies for jumping but need similar advice. I have UPC Technicolor TC7200 A Time Capsule and an airport Extreme at present I have TC and the extreme plugged into the back go UPC. The signal is not great from the TC but it is from the extreme is this the best setup method or should they be in a daisy chain

Hi

Make sure the UPC is in Bridge mode and plug the AE into it allowing the AE wo manage the wireless stuff and DHCP., then plug the TC into the ethernet on the AE

I am not sure if the UPC you have is possible to have in bridge mode, so if not and you have the AE plugged into it, its really doing nothing other than being a device plugged in and in fact make be causing problems as its a router and trysto do router stuff, you could try putting the AE in bridge mode and use it as a wireless extender

• Registered Users Posts: 14 patrickobrien

I have my AE plugged intone the UPC router I have tried to set it up in bridge mode or extend mode but the option is not there the only option is create a new network?

• Advertisement
Advertisement