Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce8800Gtx Equivalent?

Options
  • 13-07-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I need to get a replacement card for my 8800 and I know next to nothing about graphics cards. I was wondering if someone could suggest a good card that is equivalent in performance and power requirements to my 8800?

I use it only for Photoshop and playing League of Legends, but unfortunately the last patch for League broke the game for everyone who owns an 8800 :(

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A better question would be to give your machines specs and your budget, then someone can suggest the best card. The 8800 is pretty old I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

GTX 640 would give you a pretty big performance increase, but the 8800GTX was the analog/equivalent of the GTX660, of the 8xxx series.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7
    System Model: RT586AA-ABU t3720.uk
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.1GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Page File: 1951MB used, 4683MB available

That's about all I can find without posting info on my current graphics card, which would be pointless. Do you guys require more information to make a recommendation?

My budget is ~100 Euro

Thanks for the help.

That's seems to be a HP board I would be surprised if it has any overclocking options. Have you checked what options it gives you in the bios? I couldn't find anything about that board on the web.

Overheal wrote: »
    GTX 640 would give you a pretty big performance increase, but the 8800GTX was the analog/equivalent of the GTX660, of the 8xxx series.

Analog equivalent what does that mean mean?

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    That's seems to be a HP board I would be surprised if it has any overclocking options. Have you checked what options it gives you in the bios? I couldn't find anything about that board on the web.

Yep it's HP as far as I know. I'm pretty sure I don't want to overclock anything, I just want to know what graphics card I should get to replace my existing one.

I have not checked the BIOS for overclocking options. I don't need a more powerful card, I just want to play League of Legends, but It doesn't work with GT8800's any more since their patch in February. It's not a lack of processing power on my card, I could run the game fine in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Analog equivalent what does that mean mean?
    as in it sits in the 8xxx series of cards where the 660 sits in the 6xx series of cards. The 8800 was the high-end-but-widely-available option. Same in the 660. The higher cards beyond that are usually special ordered and much more expensive. You'd get the same bang for buck basically by getting a 660/670.

No I meant "Analog equivalent" Whats Analog ???

I don't there's much point spending much on that machine. You'll be limited by the CPU. As Overheal suggested something like the GeForce GTX 650 Ti seems to be whats suggest for a budget upgrade from a 8800. I have no idea if it works with LL but that seems to be an issue with the 8800 and cards of that era.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just buy a GT640, or Radeon 7750, either would run that game fine on high settings. If you want to buy it today pretty sure PC World have 550ti's for 99 euro or there abouts which isn't criminal for a walk in store. If there's a Maplins near you, they have 4850's for 50 euro which would also run the game on high.

No point going too wild with the video card if you're only playing that one game, and you're pretty cpu limited anyway.

• Advertisement

I don't there's much point spending much on that machine. You'll be limited by the CPU. As Overheal suggested something like the GeForce GTX 650 Ti seems to be whats suggest for a budget upgrade from a 8800. I have no idea if it works with LL but that seems to be an issue with the 8800 and cards of that era.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-3.html

If I wanted to upgrade in the future to a high end machine, would I just have to replace the CPU and graphics card? And maybe the power supply? Or is there more I am missing?

Sorry I'm a bit of a noob, I've never built my own tower.

Thanks for all the replies peeps, I'll make a trip into Malpins next week when I have the money.

i think youd better to sell the pc you have and start over. that would offset the price of a new one.

i think youd better to sell the pc you have and start over. that would offset the price of a new one.

I don't think I could afford to build one from scratch, I'd have to get a part every week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well thats fair enough. In that case just change the graphics card. As others said that will get you buy.

I did something similar, stuck a GT430 in a machine not much better than yours and its plays most things at low or medium settings.

Advertisement