Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I move this shrub

• 13-07-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

I want to move spikey dillinger a few feet to the right to close the gap there. is this possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It is a large plant and you would need to take a big rootball with it and it would involve a lot of aftercare in watering etc. it may be better to take a smaller section of the plant with roots (perhaps pot up to ensure a good root system) and plant that in the new position and maintain until settled in and after a year or two then remove the larger plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It looks to me like a phorium. You should be able to split the rootball and wind up with two or more plants which you could then transplant to fill the gap, but they'd take a couple of years to establish themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Is it urgent to have the gap filled now? If you can afford to wait, Phormiums do bulk up a lot and I reckon in two years this one would have spread out to cover the gap. That might be an easier option that splitting or trying to move it. I am currently cutting down old Phormiums and over time they have spread to well over a meter in width.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Leadan

Hi

I am looking for some suggestions, I have no clue about gardening but have just bought a house with an adjoining front garden. I would like to plant some shrubbery to create a divide that won't take much looking after apart from a trimming every now and then. Also I would like it to last all year around.

Anyone have any idea of what I could use???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Leadan wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking for some suggestions, I have no clue about gardening but have just bought a house with an adjoining front garden. I would like to plant some shrubbery to create a divide that won't take much looking after apart from a trimming every now and then. Also I would like it to last all year around.

Anyone have any idea of what I could use???

BERBERIS STENOPHYLLA, if you are looking for a Quick growing evergreen prickly Hedging. there are compact/slower forms as well... one called 'Nana'

I'd think about a mixed Shrub border to have a bit of interest all year round.

It depends on what you need more Interest/Security/Privacy etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Leadan

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement