Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard drive went to RAW?

Options
  • 13-07-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Built a gaming rig and got windows 7 ultimate. Finished building last night. Copied over some stuff from my external HDD and then today I was waiting for something to download so I wanted to watch something off of my external HDD. Went to my computer selected the HDD and got a messege saying you need to format this drive before you can use it. Went to device manager and its say the format is RAW now. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Try the drive on a different machine, it might just be a problem with the OS rather than the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

FSL wrote: »
    Try the drive on a different machine, it might just be a problem with the OS rather than the drive.

Yeah I read that somewhere that raw definatley isn't compatiable with win 7 but might be with vista. Have an old laptop lying around with vista on it. Must try and get some stuff off of it and then reformat the drive cheers.

coolguyrko wrote: »
    Yeah I read that somewhere that raw definatley isn't compatiable with win 7 but might be with vista.

RAW means unformatted, no partitions. It is nothing to do with compatibility, your OS thinks it is a blank, unformatted disk.

RAW means unformatted, no partitions. It is nothing to do with compatibility, your OS thinks it is a blank, unformatted disk.

I assume there is no fix so? There was a lot of data on it. College work as well. To I don't need it, it would be nice to have and I assume formatting it will wipe everything

Yeah there may be a fix, it depends on the problem.

It could just be a corrupted MFT from losing power or some such. It could be a virus on your system, I know ones that have done that. The drive itself (or enclosure, cable etc) could be faulty. Could be a bad SATA driver on your system causing data corruption.

It could be a lot of things and from your other thread it sounds like you have an unstable system so its hard to even hazard a guess as to what's most likely. If you have another system then the first thing is to try connecting it to that instead of your new PC. Make sure your other system has good a/v protection before connecting it up.

• Advertisement

Yeah there may be a fix, it depends on the problem.

It could just be a corrupted MFT from losing power or some such. It could be a virus on your system, I know ones that have done that. The drive itself (or enclosure, cable etc) could be faulty. Could be a bad SATA driver on your system causing data corruption.

It could be a lot of things and from your other thread it sounds like you have an unstable system so its hard to even hazard a guess as to what's most likely. If you have another system then the first thing is to try connecting it to that instead of your new PC. Make sure your other system has good a/v protection before connecting it up.

Yeah new build is riddled with problems. First thing I did with it tho was installed eset. Fixed the Internet problem. Still have the graphical issue tho. Not ruling out a virus but its unlikely. Could be the power issue but it went from working to not working overnight but I have had it for about 3 years. And as far as I know all my drivers are completely up to date

Advertisement