Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did a supermarket security guard ask me to use a basket?

Options
  • 13-07-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

He came over to me saying "use a basket please". Is there any reason why he wanted me to do it? It's bothering me because sometimes I only buy a bottle of water. I don't want to be bothered by him insisting I carry a basket in with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Iopu wrote: »
    He came over to me saying "use a basket please". Is there any reason why he wanted me to do it? It's bothering me because sometimes I only buy a bottle of water. I don't want to be bothered by him insisting I carry a basket in with me.

Were you using a carrier bag to put your shopping in?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Were you using a carrier bag to put your shopping in?

No, it happened as I was only entering the store too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Iopu wrote: »
    No, it happened as I was only entering the store too.

Should have just ignored him there no rule to say you must use a basket. What store was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

He was just being a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

it's probably new procedure due to people shopping with their own bags. my guess is they have to say it to everyone who has no basket so as they are not seen to be singling out those who are using their own bags in the store.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like a perfectly inoffensive way to cut down on shop lifting. It's hardly an imposition to use a basket, even for one item.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Sounds like a perfectly inoffensive way to cut down on shop lifting. It's hardly an imposition to use a basket, even for one item.

It is if just doing the lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

bumper234 wrote: »
    Should have just ignored him there no rule to say you must use a basket. What store was this?

A shop can have any rule they like once they apply it to all people.

Basically my guess is the usual scumbags that thieve are causing a problem so they shop has to insist on baskets rather than the way the scumbags operate and put things into bags.

As a rule like this could be construed as discrimination if only applied to a certain type of person, it has to be applied to all people.

So rather than blame the shop, blame the scum who shoplift which in turn is paid for by you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

It is actually a directive that Tesco are introducing, because of people dropping things on there toes and suing stores.

Its being done in England with a few months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

You also might be more inlined to impulse buy more stuff if you have a basket with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I heard from someone that was shopping at the store that he was also doing this to others. So I am happy, that it wasn't just me. Maybe it's an anti theft measure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Were it not for the part in bold, I would probably have thanked this post.

I agree with this policy in principle, but in practical terms it's going a little over the top to expect a customer to use a basket if they're just picking up a carton of milk or a newspaper. If someone can carry their goods in their hands, let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I see Lidl have introduced baskets also with a sign up stating to please use a basket or trolley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TheDriver wrote: »
    I see Lidl have introduced baskets also with a sign up stating to please use a basket or trolley.

Only some aldi and lidl stores have baskets and the smaller sized trolleys. The Carlow Hanover aldi used to have dozens of the very handy smaller trolleys but not they only have about 6 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

TheDriver wrote: »

I never noticed that and I'm down in Cork Street once a week. Unless it was introduced during the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They don't have baskets in Aldi Sandyford so I just grab an empty cardboard box as soon as I see one, there's normally a few lying around but baskets would be handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Maybe instead of having to ask shoppers carrying a cardboard box around , if they have completed a Manual Handling Course , Supermarkets are going to insist on shoppers use their basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I can see them losing alot of customers over this, especially the lunch and school crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The new Lidl baskets are handy, but where do you put them once you've put your shopping on the belt? I usually put them on an adjacent checkout (if empty) or on the packing shelf opposite. The checkout areas are not designed for putting baskets away safely as in Tesco/ Supervalu etc -i.e. no area underneath to put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I think its a health and safety thing. because people would go in a buy one thing end up buying a few things. suddenly a bottle of wine or jar of Dolmio is smashed on the floor posing risk to not only to the person who dropped it but to other customers too. especially children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is actually a directive that Tesco are introducing, because of people dropping things on there toes and suing stores.
    I really hope this is the case. I would say 30% of the time I go into my tesco there are no baskets, they are all used up and at the checkouts, so this will force them to actually bother having them out for customers on the way in.

I am sick of having to go looking around checkouts and apologising to people as I get in their way to get a basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Id say its primarily
    limit shoplifting, easier for a thief to shove something high value into their clothing if they are holding onto a load of stuff, and easier to miss.

and if they insist its policy to use, even just by signage, and you drop something, they could if it was high enough value ask you to pay for it, or at least ward off any attempt to sue if you drop it on your toe

secondary
    impulse buying, means you can carry more stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

jordainius wrote: »
    Were it not for the part in bold, I would probably have thanked this post.

I agree with this policy in principle, but in practical terms it's going a little over the top to expect a customer to use a basket if they're just picking up a carton of milk or a newspaper. If someone can carry their goods in their hands, let them off.

Slightly off topic, I have watched and told staff a couple of times in my local Tesco about the 'gentleman' who uses the self service checkouts with items in his hands and a newspaper under his arm. He scans all but the newspaper and keeps it tucked under his arm. Pays for his stuff, gathers it and leaves.

I was told by staff "maybe he brought it in with him" and "maybe he just forgot". They probably feel sorry for him because he's maybe in his 60s/70s and not your usual shoplifter. It's a large extra tesco in an industrial estate that 99% of customers drive to. So it's highly unlikely that he's just strolling by with his prebought paper. There isn't another shop for a few kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Unpaid security, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Unpaid security, are you?

I presume that's directed at me?

No, I worked in retail for almost 2 decades and I tend to still 'observe' things even when I'm shopping on my own time. I've no problem going up to staff and telling them that their stock is being pilfered, I've gone to staff in Halfords, Boots, Tescos, TKMaxx, wherever I see it happening. Scum that steal are no better than muggers on the street, they just think they're pulling one over on the stores when in fact the mark up on consumer items includes a cost to cover pilferage and security, so everybody ends up paying but the shoplifter.

Advertisement