Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi the electrical switch in my kitchen is broken and the lights will not turn off.

Options
  • 13-07-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

The actual switch on the wall will not work correctly and as a result the lights in the kitchen are still on? 

Can anyone tell me how to turn the lights off or do I need to replace the electical switch first?

I have turned off the power to the kitchen sockets in the kitchen but the broken switch ( which turns the lights on & off) is still got power coming to it? 

please help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭greenore

yes you need to replace switch to get lights turned off

switching off the lighting circuit at the consumer unit will work, but not by turning off socket circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A very easy fix op but don't do it yourself! I wouldn't go as far as paying someone to do it, just find someone who has experience wiring. Once power is switched off at the board (test first!) it's no more dangerous than wiring a plug. Probably less as it's possible to be shocked by a plug once its been plugged out if there's a motor or something in the device. But I digress...

Edit: if you're renting best contact the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andosgaf

greenore wrote: »

switching off the lighting circuit at the consumer unit will work, but not by turning off socket circuit
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andosgaf

greenore wrote: »

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi andosgaf,
    andosgaf wrote:
    The actual switch on the wall will not work correctly and as a result the lights in the kitchen are still on?

Can anyone tell me how to turn the lights off or do I need to replace the electical switch first?

In a case like this, we would always recommend getting a RECI/ECSSA-certified electrical contractor in to fix the problem. It is not advisable, for safety reasons, to attempt to fix it yourself unless you have been trained to do so.

For help finding an independent electrical contractor, click here. And for general information in relation to safety around the house, this section of our website is well worth a look. It includes tips on bathroom/kitchen safety, trips and fuses, modern appliances and child safety.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    David

• Advertisement
Advertisement