Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thompson IP changing

• 13-07-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was wondering if its possible to change my ip work purposes i was trying to look for a way to change it but cant seem to find it if anyone can help that would be brilliant ( my ip doesnt change by itself)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I was wondering if its possible to change my ip work purposes i was trying to look for a way to change it but cant seem to find it if anyone can help that would be brilliant ( my ip doesnt change by itself)

Your ISP assigns the IP to the router so no there's no way to "change" it you'll have to wait for the DHCP lease to run out, usually you have to switch off and wait..if it's xDSL it should be fairly quick to change if cable the lease could be fairly long.

Why would you need to change your IP anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RaymondSupport

bealtine wrote: »
    Your ISP assigns the IP to the router so no there's no way to "change" it you'll have to wait for the DHCP lease to run out, usually you have to switch off and wait..if it's xDSL it should be fairly quick to change if cable the lease could be fairly long.

Why would you need to change your IP anyway?

I'm Just working on a game with my friends we were trying ip banning see if it works but it doesn't, Tried everything i just need to change my ip so you say that i have to switch it off for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You can't really change your IP on UPC. If you leave your modem turned off for long enough, it might eventually assign it to somebody else, but it could require you to be offline for days before that happens, and the only to test it would be to go back online, which would renew your lease and reset the timer if you hadn't been reassigned yet.

Advertisement