Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student moving to Belfast-questions

Options
  • 13-07-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone. I am super excited to be moving to Belfast in September, in order to start my PhD at Ulster. I have been offered a full scholarship, with a maintenance award of about 14K, and I was wondering whether that is enough to live on. As I am in my late 30s and have never shared a flat before, I was thinking of renting a 1-bedroom apartment. The areas that I have been advised to search for a property in are BT7 and BT9, but everything is very expensive there. So, I have two questions:
    1. Is 14K enough to live decently on?
    2. Are there any nice and quiet areas that I could rent a property at, even if they are not that central? I mean, if I can save off the rent, I could buy an old car (I have had my own car for the past 16 years) to move around.
    Cheers, Athanasia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

14k is enough, yeah, to get by. you'll not be wining and dining though. it's not a lot, but it's enough.

BT7 and BT9 are nice areas, but are more expensive as a result. There are lots of other places you could consider, however I'd be hesitant to give too much advice without knowing your background. Are you a southerner? If so, stick to areas which are quite mixed or are nationalist, and as such, I'd avoid the east of the city entirely.

north belfast has some decent areas a bit further out - cavehill/castle area. good public transport links too. or you could head further out on the south side towards carryduff, for example. nice out there, and so long as you've a car, it'll be easy to get around from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 athanasia

Thanks catrionanic! I am Greek, I am moving to NI for my PhD, and won't be bringing my car as we drive on the opposite side and I don't think it will be too easy for me to adapt right away. What about BT10 or BT12? Is there a different attitude towards complete foreigners? I am way past my party times, I just want a decent place to live in, and not among partying students! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

BT10 is Dunmurry/Finaghy right? I don't know the area too well myself. There are quite a lot of loyalist flags around the area which automatically puts me off. BT12 is the Falls area, so generally a pretty Republican place.

As a greek you shouldn't really have a problem with either side, but personally I'd rather steer clear of any of the staunch areas.

I think you should stick to south belfast. It's the most mixed, most middle-class, and safest part of the city. Second to that, I'd probably choose the Antrim Rd area. It's nationalist but not staunch, there are no flags etc, has great public transport links, and lots of lovely people around. That's where I grew up. Generally the further up the road you go, and the further out of the city, the nicer it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

HOLD ON!!!

Ulster?

as in Ul;ster University?

which Campus are you going to?

if it's UUJ (jordanstown) then you want further out of the city in that direction or your travelling costs will be very high.

and as someone who is obviously not from this fine island, the idiots who will pick on someonje for their religeon wont notice you as you will have far too good a tan to be a threat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Danera

Hi all, I am from Africa, also going for my PhD at University of Ulster, Jordanstown Campus in September. I intend to stay in the halls for the one semester or two before thinking of finding a flat outside campus. I don't know whether to choose Courtyard Apartments or Dalriada Student Village. I prefer a place with mature students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 athanasia

Thank you martinedwards for your reply! I was told by my advisor (also a Greek living in Belfast) that I should stick to the city centre for reasons of convenience. What do you mean by travelling costs? I checked online and think that my weekly expenses for the uni (that is University of Ulster Jordanstown campus) will be GBP 10.50/ week. I don't find it that much, having in mind that by living downtown I will have easier access to all types of facilities. However, I would hate to be at a student area, and thus avoid campus accommodation.

Belfast central to UUJ weekly train ticket is £18.50 weekly or £65.50 monthly. work it into your budgeting....... Jordanstown village isn't studentland...... for instance the main bar has a strict no visible tattoos policy.......

there is much more varied nightlife in Belfast.

As to Courtyard Apartments or Dalriada Student Village, I think they're all pretty much in the same area on the Uni Campus. I drive past them every day dropping the kids off at school, and there never seems to be any of the normal student accomodation debris laying about......

beer cans...... clothing...... unconscious bodies etc!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Much of BT7 and BT9 are studenty areas, you have to be selective about the streets you choose or it will feel like you are living in halls of residence. For someone a little older and moving from overseas it does make sense to stay in the city, not that Jordanstown is remote but there's much more to do in the city. Finaghy is quite far out if you don't have a car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Isotonik

I'd concur that South Belfast is the best bet but I wouldn't rule all of East Belfast out altogether. That side of the city despite it's recent problems has folks frequenting it of various nationalities and ethnicities so I don't think you'd stand out. Property to rent in the Cregagh, Castlereagh and Bloomfield areas is plentiful and I'd think slightly cheaper than BT9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 bradygold53

athanasia wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I am super excited to be moving to Belfast in September, in order to start my PhD at Ulster. I have been offered a full scholarship, with a maintenance award of about 14K, and I was wondering whether that is enough to live on. As I am in my late 30s and have never shared a flat before, I was thinking of renting a 1-bedroom apartment. The areas that I have been advised to search for a property in are BT7 and BT9, but everything is very expensive there. So, I have two questions:
    1. Is 14K enough to live decently on?
    2. Are there any nice and quiet areas that I could rent a property at, even if they are not that central? I mean, if I can save off the rent, I could buy an old car (I have had my own car for the past 16 years) to move around.
    Cheers, Athanasia

BT9 nice area and 14k reasonable for living on. If ur used to paying through the nose for everything down here, the North will be a welcome change! Not as cheap as it was but still cheaper than rip of republic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Isotonik wrote: »
    I'd concur that South Belfast is the best bet but I wouldn't rule all of East Belfast out altogether. That side of the city despite it's recent problems has folks frequenting it of various nationalities and ethnicities so I don't think you'd stand out. Property to rent in the Cregagh, Castlereagh and Bloomfield areas is plentiful and I'd think slightly cheaper than BT9.

Very true, I lived in Ballyhackamore happily for two years with no bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Saoirse77

Hi all looking at moving to west or north Belfast or better you outside it in the country. Will be attending Greenmount campus and working so will have car. Can't seem to find and good sites for renting also the rent is way way way higher than down south. Currently in limerick and I am shocked how little is on offer for good value. Any pointers in the righ direction is much appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭biketard

pow wow wrote: »
    Very true, I lived in Ballyhackamore happily for two years with no bother at all.

Yup, Ballyhackamore is decent enough. As for the other mentioned places, Bloomfield isn't bad, Castlereagh is hit and miss and honestly I don't know if I'd recommend Cregagh at all.

Saoirse77 wrote: »
    Will be attending Greenmount campus and working so will have car.

Greenmount?

in Antrim?

so 20 miles out from Belfast?

that's a long commute to college!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Saoirse77

Greenmount?

in Antrim?

so 20 miles out from Belfast?

that's a long commute to college!

Ya its only 2 days a week you see at college and the remainder working in a practice which could be in Belfast or surrounding areas. It depends where the work is to decide where I live but Not seeing many options to rent outside Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Have a look around Glengormley, Newtownabbey...they're ok areas and handy to Belfast and Greenmount.

Advertisement