Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving License

Options
  • 13-07-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Heya!

Got a few questions, hopefully you can help me.

In countries like Spain or Italy, if you have the car license, you can ride a 125cc bike (in Spain you wait 1 year, in Italy it's instant). How does it work here?

Also need to know what kind of expenses can I expect during the course (exam fees, lessons, etc)

Lastly, know any good and cheap academies to get the licence before the summer ends?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Done some research, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

You do the theory test online, 35€ per try, lasts for 5 years
    Then comes the learners (unknown price or duration)
    After you do the EDT (unknown price or duration)
    Lastly the 12 classes for the full licence (300-350€)

So everything should be around 500-600, with no possibility to ride a bike with the car licence. Not even a simple scooter

Right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InsaneChef

**double**

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I did a test on a motor bike 30 years ago . Even then it was a seperate test

That does not answer my questions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You won't get any freebie bike or scooter license nowadays and afaik, it's been a long long time since you could have. I think it would have only counted for a 50cc.

The most popular instructor in the Cork area is probably going to be Declan O'Donovan/ http://www.twowheeltraining.ie/

You should really have a leaf through this thread but I can tell you now that there's no easy, quick or cheap way of getting on two wheels these days. Not even with small ccs. Maybe if you have a license that had the right category selected going back to the 90s you might be able to exploit some loop-hole but I'm doubtful of that...

Ok, bike is out of the question, for now :(

What about my car related questions?

• Advertisement

Do you mean going through the full process before the summer's out? I really have no idea but you could ask here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=909

I can't see why you couldn't go through it quickly if you were dedicated to the process. Do you have any driving experience. Have you driven before? Have you held a license before?

Didn't see that subforum, thanks!

InsaneChef wrote: »
    Didn't see that subforum, thanks!

One thing I've just remembered. If you've never held a license before, you'll have to wait six months before you can take a practical test...

cantdecide wrote: »
    One thing I've just remembered. If you've never held a license before, you'll have to wait six months before you can take a practical test...

Does a Spanish A1 licence count (49cc bikes), if I'm going for the car one?

So it's impossible for me to drive a car before those 6 months? Not even with the L?

InsaneChef wrote: »
    Does a Spanish A1 licence count (49cc bikes), if I'm going for the car one?

So it's impossible for me to drive a car before those 6 months? Not even with the L?

I'd had a full car license since '01 when I got the LP for bikes in '08 and I still had to wait six months before doing the practical test.

If you never held a cat B LP, I think you're screwed:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement