Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with fractured pelvis

• 13-07-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

My neighbours dog which is a mini jack russell got ran over today, he is 9 months and vet says from xray looks like fractured pelvis, he is on a drip and pain relief at the min, i feared the worst for the wee dog as its tiny but vet says he could be very lucky as dosent appear to be any internal bleeding just swelling and brusing but he is sending for a 2nd opinion...

He says the pelvis might have to be operated on but as its a small young dog he may get away with being well strapped up and well rested for a few weeks all depends on the second opinion he gets.

My elderly neighbour is in bits over it as you can imagine and wouldnt have the money for a big vet bill, I have been asking a few people who keep dogs for hunting/sport and they said if all else ok pup will heel no prob on it own with some pain relief and loads rest etc they seen it happen many times.

So i dont no what to say to the neighbour tbh im kinda stuck in the middle, has anyone heard of anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well bones will heal with rest if that's all that's needed..but when the vet says rest they mean REST so crated for weeks and only allowed out to go to the loo. It can be tough getting the dog to settle in a crate if they're not used to it but gets easier once you get into a routine with them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I wouldn't be inclined to take the advice of lads who hunt or shoot or keep dogs as pets for advice on how to proceed with a pelvic injury. For starters, they're not vets and are in no position to give a prognosis on such a serious injury, and secondly, many of the gundog lads I know are about as expert on matters dog as I am on matters shooting. Which is not very much.
    The dog's owner needs to talk to the vet about options, costs, and what's best for the dog. The vet is big enough to be offering a second opinion, so sounds like a reasonable person. So, I'd keep any talk of how to proceed on this matter to the vet(s), not people who have no medical training.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Just to add to this thread as im sure its in everyones interest.

The little dog went for his operation, repaired the pelvis, 2 fractured legs and something else on his spine and a hernia, thankfully little dog is now on rest duty confined to a small space for a few weeks, total cost of the operation €2100, which he didnt have but was able to get a credit union loan. It was going to cost a fair bit more he told me but the vet after hearing his personal circumstances did discount part of the fee.

Just goes to show for the little money dog insurance costs, I seen it from €7 a month and that would have covered this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 name0123

my bichon got ran down a few months ago (they literally ran right over her, she had tire marks down her back and on her head) and she had issues with the pelvis aswell. the vet told us it would heal but we run the risk of arthritis setting in and she would possibly have a small limp. we decided to have the operation and she is perfect now, you wouldnt know she was ever ran down thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The poor man. He must have been terribly fond of the dog to take that kind of a loan out to pay the vet. Has he tried the Blue Cross - they have a fund for cases that he might be able to tap into - he is exactly the kind of hardship cases they are there to help.

Who ran the dog over? tBH I'd be expecting them to put their hand in their pocket and make a goodwill contribution too.

Maybe a whip around in the pub at closing time or a tin with a pic of the dog in the gAA bar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Definitely check with the blue cross + if you are on facebook people on the animal pages often do a whip around to help out deserving cases

Advertisement