Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving License

• 13-07-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Heya!

Got a few questions, hopefully you can help me.

Need to know what kind of expenses can I expect during the course (exam fees, lessons, etc)

Lastly, know any good and cheap academies to get the licence before the summer ends?

Done some research, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

You do the theory test online, 35€ per try, lasts for 5 years
    Then comes the learners (unknown price or duration)
    After you do the EDT (unknown price or duration)
    Lastly the 12 classes for the full licence (300-350€)

So everything should be around 500-600

Right?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

InsaneChef wrote: »
    Heya!

Got a few questions, hopefully you can help me.

Need to know what kind of expenses can I expect during the course (exam fees, lessons, etc)

Lastly, know any good and cheap academies to get the licence before the summer ends?

You can have a learners permit by the end of summer but you can't sit the test till 6 months after you've gotten the permit.

Done some research, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

You do the theory test online, 35€ per try, lasts for 5 years
    Then comes the learners (unknown price or duration)
    After you do the EDT (unknown price or duration)
    Lastly the 12 classes for the full licence (300-350€)

So everything should be around 500-600

Right?

Thanks!

The theory test is done by DTT in a good few locations, you can only practice the theory test online. Once you pass the theory test you apply for you permit and start out on EDT

EDT is the 12 classes you need to complete before you can apply for the test, you are supposed to do extra lessons between EDT but they aren't tracked. Some people will be able to pass with only the EDT lessons other will need more.

No idea of costs

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InsaneChef

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can have a learners permit by the end of summer but you can't sit the test till 6 months after you've gotten the permit.

The learners permit lets me drive? What limitations does the L do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

The learners permit lets me drive? What limitations does the L do?

Haven't done much research have you?
    The common ones
    -Insurance is expensive.
    -Cant drive unaccompanied.
    -Must display red L on white background on the front and back of vehicle.
    -Cant drive in Northern Ireland or any other country.
    -Your Blood Alcohol Content is reduced to 0.2% compared to 0.7% for experienced drivers.
    -Permit is only valid for 2 years.

Ok, then it's kinda according to my plans:

Have the car license for a few months without car (company car only). Meanwhile get the 250cc bike license and use that.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Ok, then it's kinda according to my plans:

Have the car license for a few months without car (company car only). Meanwhile get the 250cc bike license and use that.

Thanks!

You can no longer get a 250cc bike licence because of new EU regulations since January 2013.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%203.pdf

• Advertisement

What do you mean? Can't I simply get the A, while waiting for the 6 months of the final C license?

What do you mean? Can't I simply get the A, while waiting for the 6 months of the final C license?

Yes, you can get the A Learner Permit if you're over 24 but the test has changed since January 13th. So personally I wouldn't recommend a 250cc as you can't use it for the test and trying to sell it on could be a pain in the arse.

Also you mean B licence not C?? C is Rigid truck.

I thought C was Car, but ok, B.

And what's the test like, that you disapprove it?

It would be my first bike, so I'd start with a 250cc and in a year or two change to a 450 or 500cc.

No?

PS: I'm 29

I thought C was Car, but ok, B.

And what's the test like, that you disapprove it?

It would be my first bike, so I'd start with a 250cc and in a year or two change to a 450 or 500cc.

No?

PS: I'm 29

Well I did the old bike test .i.e 250cc. You'd be better off getting a "A LP" and use a school bike to do the test. Then buy a bike for yourself, I passed my test with only a month's training using only my instructors bike.

It will cost you a fair few bob if you want to get on the road with a LP straight away:

Theory test, Eye sight Report, Photos, IBT and that's without buying a Bike, insurance, tax, gear/helmet....

Get the full licence and then weigh up your options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Haven't done much research have you?
    The common ones
    -Insurance is expensive.
    -Cant drive unaccompanied.
    -Must display red L on white background on the front and back of vehicle.
    -Cant drive in Northern Ireland or any other country.
    -Your Blood Alcohol Content is reduced to 0.2% compared to 0.7% for experienced drivers.
    -Permit is only valid for 2 years.

Just to let you know, it's 0.5% for experienced (2+ years having a full license) driver.

• Advertisement

Cathalog wrote: »
    Just to let you know, it's 0.5% for experienced (2+ years having a full license) driver.

How the hell the RSA deem a full licenced driver of 2 years as experienced is beyond me? I'm driving 5 years and know I've still plenty to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 greenhib

If one has 12 years driving experience, is it possible to convert your license or must you do the entire thing again from scratch? Any feedback is appreciated.

Agree with Faith+1 you can never take driving for granted no matter the years.

Advertisement