Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchanging coins into notes

Options
  • 13-07-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi I've kept a habit of putting loose change away in a drawer for a good few years and feel like now is the time to get rid of it I was just wondering how I go about it? Is it a hassle to get it done or can I pop into any Bank of Ireland to get it done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hi I've kept a habit of putting loose change away in a drawer for a good few years and feel like now is the time to get rid of it I was just wondering how I go about it? Is it a hassle to get it done or can I pop into any Bank of Ireland to get it done?

of course u can..just bag them

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Do you know if they'll give me one of those big coin bags it's just I don't want to be carrying around a load of small bags with me it could take a long time to package it up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Most banks (BOI certainly) will only take full bags (100 units of any particular coin).

Other alternatives are the coin counting machines in supermarkets but there is a charge, either that or do what I did earlier and paid for 22 quid of shopping in Tesco with 20c and 50c pieces!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Most banks (BOI certainly) will only take full bags (100 units of any particular coin).

A full bag is not necessarily 100 units of an particular coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Pubs are always looking for (properly bagged) coins, as the bank charges them for a supply. Your own bank will also charge you to convert or lodge them. Ask in your local

Edit; If you have a CU account, they won't charge you to lodge properly bagged coins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm with PTSB and they never charged me for it. Last time I handed in coins though it was about a year ago so maybe things have changed.

I'm with PTSB and they never charged me for it. Last time I handed in coins though it was about a year ago so maybe things have changed.

Yeah, it's currently 2% of the amount handled, minimum €1.27

oldyouth wrote: »
    Your own bank will also charge you to convert or lodge them.

I dont think your bank will charge if you lodge them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I pay for pints of beer with coins, the pubs seem happy to get them.

I also use the machines in Tesco, that gets rid of a lot of coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

john_cappa wrote: »

Boi definitely charge.

• Advertisement

john_cappa wrote: »

Perm TSB do

How can they justify charging to lodge coin?? Never heard of that before. They only charge for Business accounts AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Ulster Bank doesn't charge, whether you just take the cash or lodge it.

Advertisement