Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp in rented apartment

Options
  • 13-07-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am currently six months in to a years lease but two weeks ago the apartment above us started leaking leaving us with a badly damp smelling apartment, since then mould has developed in the sitting room/kitchen area , main bathroom , main bedroom & en suite & the corridor area in between all of them. Where do I stand in this situation can I ask for my deposit back & find alternative accommodation? We really liked the apartment but it is in a bad way .

Please note the apartment above us badly leaked resulting in water coming down walls & out of spot lights. Etc

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
    Sullydublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you spoken to the landlord and ascertained what they/the management company intend to do about the problem and what kind of time frame will be involved? If there is an effort being made to right the problem and the landlord is acting in a timely fashion then you dont really have any grounds to seek to break the lease. If the issue is bad enough to make living there impossible then you could however seek to be rehoused while the repair work is being carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

djimi wrote: »
    Have you spoken to the landlord and ascertained what they/the management company intend to do about the problem and what kind of time frame will be involved? If there is an effort being made to right the problem and the landlord is acting in a timely fashion then you dont really have any grounds to seek to break the lease. If the issue is bad enough to make living there impossible then you could however seek to be rehoused while the repair work is being carried out.

The minute the leak happened I contacted him & the answer I received was they will paint the apartment but that would be fine if it didn't smell damp. Mould is developing in the wardrobe. Carpet is smelling. The other halfs asthma which is flaring up & I'm not putting her health at risk if she doesn't want to be. As I said lovely apartment but I'm not happy being there at the moment.

Parents have said they would take us in for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It doesnt sound like they have sorted the underlying issue of the leak to be honest. Id be writing to the landlord (proper letter) and requesting a full explination of how they are intending to proceed with resolving the issue properly, and the time frames involved. Request the response in writing. If you do not get a satisfactory explination, or the time frames are not reasonable or met, then you can consider your next move in an effort to end the tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

djimi wrote: »
    It doesnt sound like they have sorted the underlying issue of the leak to be honest. Id be writing to the landlord (proper letter) and requesting a full explination of how they are intending to proceed with resolving the issue properly, and the time frames involved. Request the response in writing. If you do not get a satisfactory explination, or the time frames are not reasonable or met, then you can consider your next move in an effort to end the tenancy.

Issue has been resolved we got back our deposit :D

Advertisement