Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy training

• 13-07-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

We got a puppy last week (a miniature schnauzer) she is 9 weeks old now. It's our first dog so we're looking for a bit of toilet training advice.

She is fine doing her no 2 business outside, goes to the same part if the garden 9/10 times. At night she whines to be let out and we bring her out to the spot and say 'do your business'. She goes no prob and back to bed. But during the day she keeps peeing in the house. We have her mostly confined to the kitchen and garden (unless the kids let her out to the hall). We are in and out of the garden with the back door open as the weather's so great, but she comes back into the kitchen to pee it seems. If we catch her peeing outside we praise her.

At night she is crated (it's a homemade cordoned off area). We have newspaper down but she has never soiled it. Should we take the paper away - would it make her less likley to pee on the floor as it then would be the same as her floor area?
    I know whatever we do will probably take a while and we don't mind-as long as we're heading in the right direction.

Any advice welcome. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

You need to clean the floor to get her smell of pee of it.

I think biological washing powder will do the job but not bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Dodd wrote: »
    You need to clean the floor to get her smell of pee of it.

I think biological washing powder will do the job but not bleach.

Ok, will try that. Just been using normal floor cleaner. Thanks very much!

At 9 weeks old they don't know they want to pee until the last second and run around looking for where to do it.
    If the smell their pee some where they wil do it there.
    If you see her nose down and in a hurry take her out side.:)

I just want to add 5 minutes per month old the dog is the walking rule.
    So 10 minutes is a good walk for your pup.
    I would keep the pup out of the sun most of the day these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Thanks very much for the replies. She went outside yesterday and we gave her a treat and made a fuss over her. Will wash the floor again with the washing powder.

We're not walking her yet, but she is playing outside with the kids. Maybe a bit too much. But she took herself off to bed for a good chunk yesterday avo so must be wrecked. Will lay off on the playing.

Also one more q...re mouthing, she nips me quite a lot..until yesterday I was saying ah ah loudly when she nipped me/bit my trousers/legs but read last night that ignoring might work better, so if I was ignoring her, I would first have to remove her mouth then walk away and hands in pockets. What do I do then? As as soon as I pet her again she wants to mouth again. She doesn't do it to my hubby, or two of the kids just me and one kid! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement