Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to camp in Coomeragh?

Options
  • 13-07-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, noobie here - my youngest kid is determined to go camping, skin rabbits etc, so we have afamily holiday in Dunmore East and have aquired a tent, so I figure we could hike somewhere into the Coomeragh mountains, pitch the tent then the rest of the family could head for their comfy beds while me and small boy enjoy a night under canvas before packing out the next day.
    Is this realistic? - the ideal would be wild camping, the tent is a 3 man yoke and I only just got it so would need a reasonable space to pitch it.
    Any advice on where to enter the area and hike to (which can't be far as the tent weighs a tonne and there will be kids).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Maybe the Mahon Falls area might suit? There's a path leading towards the waterfalls and you might find a spot along there not too far from river. Not too sure about skinning rabbits though, they kinda have a right to exist peacefully :) If you do take this trip, please do not under any circumstances leave any rubbish behind, one night stay and leave everything as you find it.

I say this I've been disheartened recently to see local swimming spots left with all sorts of rubbish strewn about. These are privately owned fields and I really can't quite figure how the man farming it, puts up with it. Really pisses me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

- my kid is of an age where everything is literal. And absolutely, nothing will be left behind, will be picking up any rubbish we spot as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

: doubtless the bunnies are indeed safe, can't guarantee you'll find a spot there but well worth a look and easy of access. In case any confusion arises, the local swimming spots I mentioned above at not in the Comeragh region.

Picked up a black sack of rubbish myself yesterday and left as much behind.. it really is unbelievable how Irish people and mostly locals in this case, can rubbish a place. I just don't understand the mentality of it, you go to a pretty place on a beautiful summers day with your kids and just leave all the rubbish behind, simply beyond me - sometimes you'd despair for this nation..

Edited to add: anywhere near water, damp ground, trees in this heat and you'll be plagued by midges which may well turn it into rather an unpleasant experience. If it works out like that, keep tent zipped up. Go for a walk and get away from the buggers. If at campsite, retreat to tent and zip it up! Midges don't like wind, so a campsite in a breezy place is the only way to avoid them.

Advertisement