Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Melted Tar

• 13-07-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Lads anyone have any wobbly moments on the melted tar on the roads due to the hot weather? I was picking up my bike yesterday and on the way I noted the amount of melted tar on the country roads. As the car drove over the melted tar it sounded like we were driving through puddles of water.

On the way back on the bike I was taking a fairly sharp bend and mid way through the bend I hit a mass of melted tar. I was able to let the bike sit up straight and narrowly avoided coming off by rolling onto a small grass verge. Thankfully I was crawling ( nothing new there ;) ) and all was fine. Im not talking about the melted tar lines you get after work was carried out on the road. This is 80% of the road surface melted & that melted patch can last for 20 meters or so depending if its in direct sunlight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Yeah it's all over the place. Noticed it in Rathcore, Enfield, parts of Mullingar etc... Like riding on the over-banding you get after a patch of road has been fixed. Just be careful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Yeah had a few encounters with it haha it's not the nicest, wheels wobbles like hell. Best to go over it slowly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think its from the new machines that spray tar and chips at the same time.
    The tar is a low viscosity stuff and melts very easily.
    The councils should re-grit now while the stuff is soft and it would make a great job of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Came back the N52 today from Mullingar on the Sprint after the Walderstown Races and was fairly moving...road was lovely. The odd spot was tacky but still plenty of grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

I noticed lots of it around the Tuam area in Galway but even more dangerous is the buildup of grit especially on corners, ya just need to expect the unexpected and take it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

have one of my footpegs ruined with the **** - thought it was the sole of my boot melting. Like chewing gum in the cinema bleugh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Melted tar is being possibly blamed as the cause of the crash that killed that litle girl the other day.

The van she was in,may have skidded off the road when it went over the melted tar.Thats according to some of the newspapers yesterday.

http://www.herald.ie/news/was-melting-tar-to-blame-for-tragic-girls-crash-death-29420886.html

RIP,cant imagine what the family must be going through right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Was way out west on Friday and some of the back roads the tar was like water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How come when you go down to places like Tunisia their roads don't turn into rivers when the sun comes out? It comes down to quality of roading and I am afraid we are being ripped off here with road quality.

Advertisement