Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go to meet new people

Options
  • 13-07-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,
    I am in my early 20s and just out of a long term relationship. Although it was not a bad breakup, we have remained friends, but not as close. Most of my friends were mutual friends - I am not a very confident person and felt like friends would always choose him over me. So now I am looking to get out and meet new people, try new things. I still have my own few friends but we are each very different so don't get to interact with others much. I am in Cork.
    I like to go out and enjoy myself at weekends [my friends don't drink], I enjoy sports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I don't play or have any interest in sports but its a terrific way to meet people - pick a favorite sport and join a local club / society / pundits group or whatever. Football Supporters societies are a good start - loads of them around! If you're into the ole skateboard then all you have to do is bring your board to anywhere with steps in Cork city and away you go!

and in terms of confidence etc, I find that if you're meeting people with similar interests and you've a good knowledge of that specific interest then your confidence will be high and the conversation will flow! If you're fairly opinionated on certain topics that'll only help things along!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stardollz

I go to fitness classes three times a week, but my problem is that all of the people I have met through this are alot older than me. It's the same in work, the person closest to me is ten years older than me! Unfortunately I don't do skateboards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jamie Cal

stardollz wrote: »
    I go to fitness classes three times a week, but my problem is that all of the people I have met through this are alot older than me. It's the same in work, the person closest to me is ten years older than me! Unfortunately I don't do skateboards :-)

I would say in a holistic kind of way this'd be quite good. I mean, I go to loads of matches and you talk away to people, but you never become friends with them really, they're forgotten the next day-type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Hey, i would recommend checking out the couchsurfing crowd in cork. It may have been made as a travelling site but it's a fantastic way to meet people. People organise an array of different events, i was just camping a few weeks back with about 20 people from the site and it was great craic. There's generally a meetup every friday in a city centre pub.

Heres the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/couchsurfingincork/?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Hi stardollz,
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, I moved down here to Cork back in April to do a masters in UCC and although the work crowd are sound they're all older and busy with their own lives. I have a boyfriend and he's great but I really miss hanging out and having girly chats and nights out... A little about me- I'm 23 originally from Roscommon... quite a bit of a science nerd but one with a sporty streak as my bf recently found out at tag rugby...I'm into almost everything except watching soccer. I'm kinda running out of things to say so feel free to ask questions!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dreamsphere3

I'm the exact same. during the summer i always get like this as i find it a ridiculous time to find things to do that do not include spending money or needing a car. I'm not sure if we would get on but im always free to go for a chat in town or whatever. I'm unashamedly a nerd, no very little about sport, unless it includes snooker or swimming. i love going to cinema, i hang out mostly bar wars in either crane lane or fred zeplins and i enjoy going to conventions :-)

Seems there are quite a few of us in the same boat then! :-)

I'm the exact same. during the summer i always get like this as i find it a ridiculous time to find things to do that do not include spending money or needing a car. I'm not sure if we would get on but im always free to go for a chat in town or whatever. I'm unashamedly a nerd, no very little about sport, unless it includes snooker or swimming. i love going to cinema, i hang out mostly bar wars in either crane lane or fred zeplins and i enjoy going to conventions :-)

Hi Dreamsphere, I don't think I am a nerd haha my ex is though and many of our mutual friends - also those would be the bars that we would have frequented! So I do get on well with so called nerds! :-D And don't worry, although I enjoy playing sport, I hate discussing it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hey, i would recommend checking out the couchsurfing crowd in cork. It may have been made as a travelling site but it's a fantastic way to meet people. People organise an array of different events, i was just camping a few weeks back with about 20 people from the site and it was great craic. There's generally a meetup every friday in a city centre pub.

Heres the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/couchsurfingincork/?fref=ts[/QUOTE]

uhhh I never knew there was a couch surfer set up in crock great stuff thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Guess another in the same boat, I'm 24, but most people in any groups seem to be late 20s, early 30s.

titan18 wrote: »
    Guess another in the same boat, I'm 24, but most people in any groups seem to be late 20s, early 30s.

Yes! Everyone I know is older haha

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

My husband uses this for all things cork related!

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

well its simple if you have to come on here to meet friends,,,,,your knackered

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyboy

i think the CUMH is the only place to meet new people in Cork :D

mickyboy wrote: »
    i think the CUMH is the only place to meet new people in Cork :D

Haha brand new at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

The cork city pub crawl is a good way to meet people. Happens every Friday. I've been to a few they're good fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Encrustment

MrFrisp wrote: »

What age group would that be? And what type of person?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What age group would that be? And what type of person?

Mid twenties and up generally. Character wise, I would say from the sublime to the ridiculous but who is which tends to alternate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

^^^^^ As above..

Most from mid 20's to mid 30's..

Some a bit older,,some a bit younger.

All types of people to be honest..from all sorts of backrounds. All seem to be good decent people,,and all mingle and mix very well.

• Advertisement

If anyone here is a woman in there twenties/thirties looking to meet up, I've received a few private messages to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Riand101

Hey I posted up something kinda similar here myself looking to meet and make new friends, I noticed there it was three weeks ago have ye made any progress yet?

Not much! How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Riand101

stardollz wrote: »
    Not much! How about you?

I've actually only started today would ya believe been chatting to one other, it's funny how many people are in this boat

Advertisement