Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on a working holiday visa

Options
  • 13-07-2013 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I'll be going to Sydney in a few weeks on a working holiday visa, on my own.

Ireland is like a dot on the map and to end up in a country the size of Australia on my own. I'm really scared.

I've always wanted to go but I can't put it off anymore. I'll be too old in September to get the visa. Waiting for someone to come with me, it wouldn't happen. If I wait any longer, I might actually end up with work and never get the chance again. As it is, I'm not getting work here and I still have savings. Its my only chance. Am I mad?

I've got the visa booked and return flights fully paid for, so I'll be mad to chicken out.

But I am so scared. I've never been on a long haul flight before, I don't know what to expect. The furthest I've ever been was England.

Has anyone stayed in Sydney Backpackers hostel? It has a free airport pickup, so that would be handy instead of getting lost just off the plane. It also has lockers and free Wi-Fi so i'll be happy with my laptop for searching for jobs, sending cv by email and all that.

There's still a couple more things I have to do like setting up a bank account, tax file number. I wasn't going to leave USIT money for something I can do myself. One handy thing, USIT has is the travel insurance included. Is travel insurance necessary? I think USIT do a package with travel insurance, bank account TFN, sim card for €260. Most of that is free if you did it yourself, so its just the insurance i'm paying out on. Is there cheaper travel insurance out there? Or do I need it?

I'm really worried with getting work. There can be casual work available with the profession I'm in, which is what I want. There is a website I can advertise myself before I go and employers contact you, so I will advertise on that. I read of one girl who advertised herself and started work the day after getting off the plane with £500. I hope I get work that easily.

I intend on emailing places before I get there and see if it helps. I also have a hotel management degree, so I can work in hotels.

But what else can I do or where do I find all these backpacker jobs? I have heard about the responsible serving of alcohol and holding traffic signs. Is there really good money in holding traffic signs? Are you guaranteed work if you did one of these courses? Any help in the right direction would be great?

I will be coming over with $5600. Is this enough, it better be as I have no more savings. Can I set up the bank account before going over and transfer money into it from Ireland? How much cash should I bring with me?

I also intend on booking 2-3 weeks in a hostel or until I get work and hope that I don't dig into my savings for the first two weeks. I don't drink or smoke, so once I get there, its just food and a bit of hanging around the place, applying for jobs. Is there anywhere free or cheap to do in Sydney until I get work? I would like to do some sight seeing and tours while I'm there or I might go a bit mental, that might dig into my savings.

The thing about not drinking, what happens if I meet people and they ask me out on a piss up. I don't want to be anti social.

If I don't get work, when should I think of going home? I don't want to end up broke there. I also have to give them notice and about $200 before changing flights, I was told a couple of weeks notice. Should I think about going home when I reach $1000?

What should I bring with me, do I bring qualifications or copies of them? Is there anything else I need, should I get myself a posh hand fan?

Sorry for all the questions, am I worrying too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

am I worrying too much?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I came out last year on my own and have settled in Sydney. I'm having a ball. The only difference is I'm here on PR visa rather than Working Holiday visa.

In relation to your flight it shouldn't be a Ryanair style experience depending on who you are flying with. Flights should include food, drink and personal in-flight entertainment screen on back of seat in front. Remember to drink lots of water during the flight & get up and move around. Flight will include one or two stop-overs with change of plane again depending on who you are flying with. Your baggage should be checked all the way to Sydney so you will not have to collect it during each stop-over.

Majority of the banks will allow you to open a bank account from Ireland but you will not be allowed withdraw from it till you arrive in Australia in person to complete activation. I opened mine with Commonwealth Bank of Australia through their London office. Consider using CurrencyFair to reduce foreign exchange costs from Irish banks. You cannot get tax number till you arrive unless you have Australian address. If you can get your phone unlocked in Ireland and bring it with you.

I didn't bring any qualifications with me, I just took a coloured scanned copy of every document and uploaded to my Dropbox account.

Sorry cannot give any advice in relation to any of your other questions. If you have any questions on any of the above let me know. Or if you want to PM me so that you know somebody here before you arrive that is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

Thanks for the advice RadarControl.

In a way I cant wait but also nervous at the same time. I will certainly use currencyfair to save a bit with transfering money. Once I transfer money, there's no going back.

Also, could I use the address at the hostel when setting up a TFN, does anyone know?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah you can, just tell the people in the hostel first. It's what most WHVers do regarding the TFN.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Flightfinder1

Once u arrive tw hostel usually has a travel desk and maybe u can do some tours in your first couple of weeks to get a feel for the place,
    I've stayed at loads of hostels, there's usually nightly entertainment/theme nights so make sure u get involved as its great way of meeting ppl,
    Regards work,try seek.com.au ; make a list of agencies before u go so that u have that ready to go once u get there

I think travel insurance is advisable, I went with the one Usit advised; mapfre I think it's called and I found them very prompt with dealing with my medical expenses which was handy

Also set up a bank acc with usit;westpac,but changed once I got here to the commonwealth bank simply from recommendations from friends and the branch was close by & helpful. Have used currency fair it's really good it takes a few days to set up between them verifing your details but found it so useful transferring money, so I would advise doing that before you go!

Best of luck with the move !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Hey let me recommend 790 hostel, its where I stayed when I worked in Sydney, for long term lodgers they drop the price and its really only a place long term people really stay.
    I think the NAB bank is possibly the best but I suppose it depends what is the most common bank where you live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

Also, another question, what's the best phone network? Having internet is important, so im looking for the cheapest.

Also, can you work more than one job if you wanted? I can imagine part time hours and you wouldn't survive.

With the work I would prefer to get, the wages would be around $700 a week. Would this be enough to live on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Also, another question, what's the best phone network? Having internet is important, so im looking for the cheapest.

Also, can you work more than one job if you wanted? I can imagine part time hours and you wouldn't survive.

With the work I would prefer to get, the wages would be around $700 a week. Would this be enough to live on?
    You could survive on 700 imo, I found myself with the work situation is show no loyalty if your a backpacker, I found myself for the first 3 months going by rules I had for myself at home in Ireland, which were idiotic as you are seen as a temporary fix over there and they will give hours to the Aussies so if you get a better job with more permanent hours take it, something I did after turning down the jobs 2 months previously wish I had took the job first time I was offered it.
    Then again it could have just been my situation and I say its different for everyone else.

Advertisement