Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncy castle in strandhill.

Options
  • 14-07-2013 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Just to let all parents out there know. We were in strandhill yesterday for a family day out and in the evening someone set up a bouncy castle slide thing beside the cannon. Naturally the kids were delighted and wanted to have a go.

So I brings them over to it and yer man that was running it, whom I can only describe as unwashed, rude and greedy told me that it was 3 euro per child for six goes around the slide. So I paid him but some of the kids were having trouble climbing up. When he was asked if anyone was there to help the kids we were told a flat out no.

When we got home, my eldest who is 5 told me she hurt her bum on the slide. When we had a look she has some nasty scrapes from it and some were quite deep. I did complain to the strand bar about the guy but they said they didn't know who he was and had no affiliation to him, but we weren't the only people to complain about it.

This man is a cowboy operation who could only be seen when it was time to kick the kids off so he could grab more money from more parents. Other than that he was off on the phone. The slide was clearly unsafe for use and obviously had not been checked for safety for some time. I very much doubt that he even has insurance for this.

If anyone knows if there is a body that I can complain to about him can you please let me know, but failing that all parents please avoid this man and his dangerous slide. For the sake of you're kids.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Wouldn't he have needed some sort of street traders permit to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Kettleson wrote: »
    Wouldn't he have needed some sort of street traders permit to do that?

Plus some sort of H&S cert to certify equipment was safe.

Hopefully you get it sorted or some kind of responce Burford.

I would assume of starting off with someone at the Coco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I would have imagined that he would need a permit to trade in public like that alright, but no one seemed to know anything about him. I thought the strand would have been aware of it, but alas not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also I am sure he was tax compliant and the correct tax was forwarded to revenue from your payment, less allowable expenses of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Was it not the lad from FunnyBones?
    I heard it was, but I dont think he is unwashed or rude in fairness.

Surely you cant just set up a bouncy castle wherever you feel like.
    You should report whoever it was and take a picture of those injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Was it not the lad from FunnyBones?
    I heard it was, but I dont think he is unwashed or rude in fairness.

Surely you cant just set up a bouncy castle wherever you feel like.
    You should report whoever it was and take a picture of those injuries.

Don't think it was funny bones. It was a tatty auld yoke he was using. Have a photo alright of the injuries, but naturally I'm not posting that.

Who do you report it to tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Funny Bones is a legit business, highly unlikely they'd have to/would resort to a beach car park for business!

They have bouncy castles too apparently.
    I only heard it was him, but i dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Funny bones or any other legit bouncy castle hirer will be clearly visible from the ad. wrapping on their vans. In their own interest to have the van parked beside for advertisement purposes.
    This was obviously a 'fly by night operator' who's now plying his trade somewhere else before he's caught.
    I have no connection to Funny bones or any other bouncy castle hirer, but I do not think their name should be mentioned in a thread about this, purely on the strength of rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I seen this guy and the bouncy castle as I was driving out of Strandhill, I thought it was a rather odd place to put a bouncy castle, I am surprised that he was allowed to do so in the first place.
    In every village and town there is a designated area for 'casual trading' and he would have needed a licence to trade on the day. The council or corpo would be your best bet, the health & safety crowd should get an e-mail too. hope your child makes a good recovery.

Hard to believe in this day and age, someone can get away with doing that.

Be interesting to see if he makes a re-appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    I seen this guy and the bouncy castle as I was driving out of Strandhill, I thought it was a rather odd place to put a bouncy castle, I am surprised that he was allowed to do so in the first place.
    In every village and town there is a designated area for 'casual trading' and he would have needed a licence to trade on the day. The council or corpo would be your best bet, the health & safety crowd should get an e-mail too. hope your child makes a good recovery.

Strandhill is not a zoned area for casual trading and I've seen a lot of people who try to set up stalls at the beachfront being moved on either by the resident business owners there or council reps.

I cringe when I see the like of this set up at Strandhill as I think it's tacky and serves to rip off people just because there's a bit of good weather. Whenever any Festivals sets up a bouncy castle (Warriors, Surf Club etc) they usually cover the cost and kids are allowed use it for free and the source/owner of the castle is known. The castles are usually set up in the small park across from Strand which is a significantly safer spot. But I don't like the idea that any Tom, Dick or Larry can appear with a castle and generator and take over a significent part of the promenade.

Definitley a word with the councils environment section is in order here.

Advertisement