Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft Final: Redzerdrog vs Morzadec

• 14-07-2013 6:29am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

least-geeky-fantasy-football-vegas-excuses-ecard-someecards.jpg

So we have reached the Final and it's Redzerdrog vs Morzadec to face off.

As in previous rounds ill throw up a poll once both participants have done a write up and you can all then post and vote with regards which team you think would win if both sides faced off against each other with players picked considered in their prime when picked. Until they have posted these write ups we ask you don't post your opinions but once they do they would be really appreciated as would be your votes because as we have seen in previous match ups even 1 vote can make a massive difference and all votes are counted.

So who will be the draft champion, good luck trying lads

Who would win the match and should win the draft? 32 votes

Morzadec
    0%
    Redzerdrog
    100%
    VokesBounty HunterDiddy Kongziggyjemlassykk~Rebel~gustavooshITT-PatJohnergenericgoondeath1234567AmiraniKirbyGadgeI am pieerkifinoDDC1990chris445 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

abEYNJNahf.jpg
    Use this11.com for tactics for football

Will go through my team for now and will wait for Morz to reply before arguing the merits of his team.

Goalkeeper
    Well there is not much I can say about Peter Schmeichel apart from he is the greatest keeper I have ever seen.

Defence
    Everyone seems to think they have the best defence in the draft but I think mine is up there with the best. In CB I have the best Defender I have ever seen play the game and he is rated as one of the very best CBs ever to play the game. He will oraganise things from the back, sweep up in behind and can carry the ball out if needed. Beside him I have the perfect partner in a peak Vidic, before he got injured he was the best CB on the planet and his comanding presence is the perfect foil for Baresi.

I have an excellent set of full backs firstly Philip Lahm has been the best fullback in the world for the best part of the last decade he can do everything needed of a fullback, can attack when needed and is rock solid in defence. At left back I have former Real Madrid and Spain left full Jose Camacho winning 9 league titles amongst others and is regarded as one of the very best left fulls to have ever played the game. To get him in round 10 was great considering some of the players who went before him.

Midfield
    Simeone and Gerson are a very well balanced partnership. Simeone will play as a dm and as we seen as the main man in Argintinas midfield throughout his career he can is a very rounded dm. His partner is World Cup winner Gerson who will play as a deep lying playmaker, this is the man that orchestrated Brazils world cup win in 1970 and he will control this game from CM. Again great value as a 9th round pick considering the CMs gone before him.

Figo and Giggs are perfect for my team. Figo at the turn of the century was the best player on the planet and unlike so many in this draft he was a natural winger. On the other side I have the most natural winger to play the game in Ryan Giggs and a peak Ryan Giggs was phenomenal. Any time of think of him I just remember that goal against Arsenal in 99.

Attack
    In the hole is the greatest ever player to play for Englands most successfull team, King Kenny Dalglish. I cant remember seeing him live but I have seen so many videos of this guy and he was something special. He played an integral part in 3 european cups and 6 league title for a dominant Liverpool team. He scored 260 goals in his career which is a great return from a second striker not to mention his countless assists. Although known for his attacking play he was well capable of dropping deap and digging out in midfield and Liverpool often used him this way during tough away trip in europe.

Romario is one of the greatest goal scorers to ever play the game. during the 1994 world cup he carried Brazil to win it and was the best player on the planet during this time. Prob the most natural goalscorer to ever play the game

Overall
    I think my team is well balanced and was planned out to be so. I can't understand picking players and then playing them out of position. With my team everyone is in their best position and the fluidity of the team in both defence and attack should be a match for anyone on their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Redzerdrog
    First off, good luck to Redzerdog.

Going for the same line-up again, but Pires and Laudrup will be free to swap sides.

I'll leave out the bios, as most have read them by this stage and the names should probably speak for themselves.

abE0hz8amG.jpg

Redzer has a strong team, an excellent defence and a very good attack too. Like he said it is balanced, and so is mine, and maybe that's the reason we're both in the final. Good balance to both teams.

Where I think I edge it

Front 4 I think I think I have the advantage, mainly because of the genius of Maradona. Dalglish was obviously a Liverpool legend, but perhaps not so famous outside of British football and I think, as good as he was, it would be difficult to compare him to Maradona. Personally I think Laudrup was better than Figo, but Figo was obviously a top player too. Giggs vs Pires, maybe you give it to Giggs. Romario vs RVN, I would say is even - both top goalscorers. Romario has WC 94 in his favour, while RVN can claim to be one of the deadliest strikers of all time at top level European club football, whereas Romario didn't stay around long enough to make the same impact.

So while Redzer has a potent attack, I feel mine is better.

In midfield, Redzer has gone with Simeone as his last pick. He was a top player, but maybe a little noticeable as a last round pick in an important position at this level. Beyond a few domestic titles and cups he didn't achieve all that much in the game - he never really played in big World Cup or Champions League games for example, which maybe some would see as a a requisite for the high level of his draft.

I would hope maybe the passing ability of my two CMs could help control this from midfield.

In defence, you have to say Redzer is very strong (although I do think my team would score goals, such is their quality). Still I believe I have the best full-backs in the draft, and while Redzer is by no means weak here, it's difficult to compete against Cafu and Lizarazu, who will add an extra dimension to my attack too.

Back 3, his inclusion of Baresi makes his defence stand out as one of the best in the draft. In Schmeichel he has perhaps a top 5 goalie, and then Vidic is a decent foil to complete an impressive trio. However, mine is not bad either, and I have one of the all time greats in Thuram, a beast of a defender, well-balanced with the intelligent Costacurta who has seen it all at the top level, and, imo, the best goalkeeper of all time in Buffon.

So definitely a tough match-up for me, as Redzer has a well-balanced side with no glaring weaknesses, but I think going through it player for player my team edges it.

With Maradona I think I have that extra cutting edge in attack that should do damage to even the great defence he's up against. I also think that all my team is so comfortable on the ball and that Alonso and Schweinsteiger should have what it takes to control the game.

TLDR: Redzer has a well-balanced team, with an excellent defence and no glaring weaknesses. However, I believe the same could be said about my team, and I think my team has just that bit more - going through it player for player, I think I have the edge in most areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Redzerdrog
    Well done on getting this far Redzerdrog and Morzadec, best of luck in the match.

Both have excellent teams so looking forward to seeing how this will go. I'll have a writeup later on my thoughts. Think for the final its only right that as many people as possible can discuss their reasoning rather than just using the poll function.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Redzerdrog
    Morzadec for me. The best two teams in the final and fairly evenly matched. Maradona is the key player here and is easily the best player on the pitch and someone who would make the difference. Morzadecs two full backs also give him a slight edge. Apart from that theres nothing in it. Two well thought out sides with no real weaknesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Redzerdrog
    Teams are fairly balanced here and it almost comes down to a player v player scenario for me.

I think Maradona really is the key point in this game and with the trio of Alonso, Laudrup and Scheweinsteiger behind him, Morzadec's team will have plenty of possession while also possessing the arsenal to supply Maradona and van Nistelrooy the ball in dangerous areas.

I'd put this game down as a 2-1 to Morzadec.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Redzerdrog
    I found it difficult to decide here but like those above, Maradona made the difference. Narrow win for Morzadec for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Redzerdrog
    Morzadec for me, best balanced team in the draft with some of the best players ever to have graced their positions, notably Buffon, both FB's and Maradona.

Both worthy finalists and wo excellent teams but I'm giving the victory to Morzadec, just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Redzerdrog
    Morzadec for me too, he has an outstanding defence. Centre mid is better aswell, as others have said Maradona would make the difference and with a lethal finisher like Van Nistelrooy I think he wins.

two very well balanced team but were I think I have the advantage is as follows,

I think Goalkeepers we are pretty evenly matched, I prefer mine and I am sure Morz prefers his but there isnt a whole lot between them either way.

I think I have a stronger defence overall it has better balance to it than morz imo, Morz has a very strong defence aswell but there is a couple of issues i have with it Firstly I feel that Thuram is playing out of position here and the player I remember Thuram was predominantly a Right Full and a great one at that and I think his best football was played at as a full back. The second issue I have is about the overall balance, both his full back like to get forward a lot which isnt a bad thing if you a DM playing to fill the gaps but I just dont see alonso or schweisteiger fulfilling this role so well which will leave gaps imo.

In CM we are pretty evenly matched player wise morz prob has the stronger players but I think mine is better balanced and more suited to the job at hand. Gerson can control the game from CM as I dont think he will be harried an awful lot when on the ball and Gerson is just as capable in his defensive duties as the oposition midfield.

I think I win both wings imo, Morz has already said he would have giggs over Pires which I agree with but the thing I disagree with the most is Laundrop over Figo, both were incredible players but the significant difference here is Figo was a great player while playing in this position whereas Laudrop was not. I think having Laudrop playing on the right is actually a major weakness as you will not get anywhere near his best form here and it is another player who is playing out of position.

In the hole mardona win over Dalglish hands down but Kenny was something special aswell.

Up front is another position I think I win easily and as good as RVN was he wasn't near the quality or Romario.

Briefly I think I win this game due to my two wingers and striker. I think Morz full backs will leave space in behind for giggs and figo to exploit and create chances for Romario. Although you cant guarantee keeping a team containing Maradona scoreless I think I am better equipped to stop Morz team scoring than he is mine.

I am sure it would be a cracker of a match and I would pay good money to see both these teams on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Very difficult to choose.

Camacho beats Lizarazu for me. (A bit presumptuous but a few extra old timers in Redzerdrogs team probably doesnt help :pac:). I would also question whether either of Thuram or Costacurta were on the same level as Baresi. Baresi was voted the best AC Milan player of all time. Considering who has played for them down the years that is some accolade. On balance i have the defences even with a nudge to Redzerdrog.

Think folk may underestimate Gerson too, basically the brain in midfield of the best team that ever lived. I dont see why he would be behind either midfielder in the other team. I make the 2 def mid pairings even overall but i can see why Alonso/Schweinsteiger gets more nods. How many would have seen much of Gerson?. I havent myself but i have seen enough to think the way i have.

Wide- Give another nudge for Redzer here. Pires simply isnt in the same league as the other 3 players.

CAM- . Dalglish was brilliant, and suffers from nationality in the world wide game. Maradona is the best player to have lived imo, so simple conclusion.

Up front - Romario hands down, not even a contest. World player of the year winner, World cup winner, played in more games for club and country, scored more goals for club and country. Levels of awsomeness with Stoichkov for Barca were breathtaking at times.

Slight but a vote for Redzer.

• Advertisement

Redzerdrog
    I think Goalkeepers we are pretty evenly matched, I prefer mine and I am sure Morz prefers his but there isnt a whole lot between them either way.

I honestly think you would only find a minority who would agree with you and they would probably all be either United fans or Danes.
    Firstly I feel that Thuram is playing out of position here and the player I remember Thuram was predominantly a Right Full and a great one at that and I think his best football was played at as a full back.

That's simply not true. Yes, Thuram played right-back for the great France team of 98 and 00 where perhaps he is best remembered, but even at the time he was playing Centre-back at Parma. He could play both roles his whole career except perhaps at the end when physically he lost a bit and became solely a CB. He was that good on and off the ball, physically, technically and mentally to excel at both. He made team of the WC again in 06 as a centre-back.

I really think calling out Thuram as a weakness is way off the mark.
    The second issue I have is about the overall balance, both his full back like to get forward a lot which isnt a bad thing if you a DM playing to fill the gaps but I just dont see alonso or schweisteiger fulfilling this role so well which will leave gaps imo.

This has been an issue for me to explain in all my games, but as I explained in previous games both Alonso and Schweinsteiger are very good off the ball and get through plenty of defensive work.
    I think I win both wings imo, Morz has already said he would have giggs over Pires

Just about maybe due to longetivity, but Pires has the added bonus of achieving a lot at International level. Not much in it really
    which I agree with but the thing I disagree with the most is Laundrop over Figo, both were incredible players but the significant difference here is Figo was a great player while playing in this position whereas Laudrop was not. I think having Laudrop playing on the right is actually a major weakness as you will not get anywhere near his best form here and it is another player who is playing out of position.

I think Laudrup had more, and was definitely effective out wide as well, though he would have liscence to drift cenrtrally and come deep too where he was really effective. I have my full-backs to really stretch the game and they will provide the main width.

Every striker he played with gushed praise on him, and I've heard Madrid fans call him the best they've ever seen. I think most Madrid and Barca fans would recognise Laudrup as a more special player.
    Up front is another position I think I win easily and as good as RVN was he wasn't near the quality or Romario.

Fair enough if that's your opinion, but van Nistelrooy has scored goals in the Champions League at a rate only bettered than Messi. He really was an excellent number 9. I don't think Romario was a level above.
    I am sure it would be a cracker of a match and I would pay good money to see both these teams on show.

Agreed it would be a cracker, and definitely a close run game such is the quality in both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Redzerdrog
    Firstly, congratulations to both for making it to the final. I think it speaks a lot that they're probably the two best balanced teams in the draft. Putting together a team is much more important than just grabbing great players.

Redzerdog has the best balance, I really can't fault it. I have visions of him as Mike Basset "England will play 4-4-****ing-2." It's a traditional line up and while I'm not mad on 4-4-2 at the highest level these days he's clearly spent the entire draft picking just for this. A 4-4-1-1 with Dalglish isn't much different from 4-2-3-1 anyway. Morzadec's team is quite well balanced. To nitpick at this level, the midfield duo isn't ideal. I don't think anybody has said that they won't work hard. But it's not very mobile, there's no point in running about the place if you can't get there in time. With that front 4 the team is poor at pressing and the full backs will have to be a bit more mindful of when they go forward. Especially in this match up where Redzerdog will rely on his wingers a lot. I don't see a problem with Laudrup and Pires not being wingers, they're not asked to hug the touchline but will still be comfortable going wide if the opportunity is there.

The elephant in the room is obviously Maradonna who is by far the best player on the pitch. The #10 is probably the most important player for both teams but the gulf in class here is huge. This is very tough on Redzerdog who had the misfortune of being near the bottom of the picks list. Nothing he could do to get a player of that quality. Going further though I think Morzadec made the best picks throughout the draft. Whilst Redzerdog's all fit into his team perfectly I think a lot of them were poor value. Starting with Baresi. As brilliant as he is a centre back was a poor choice as #1 (bar Beckenbauer who was more than a simple centre back). The real difference makers are up front and passing up the opportunity to grab the likes of Van Basten, Muller, Garrincha and so on robbed the team of substantial "wow" factor. Baresi could easily have lasted for round 2 or 3 anyway. Giggs was awful value at round 4. Dalglish is probably underrated but may well have lasted beyond round 6 and if not there are plenty of similar great forwards to replace him. I felt your best picks were the last few rounds to round the team out. Some great choices at that stage including a few oldies.

Overall I've gone for Morzadec's quality to win out over Redzerdog's better team.

Thuram is definitely not out of position. He spent most of his career at centre back bar for the first few years at Juve and for France. That was when he won most of his trophies but I think this was mainly down to those two teams having a few great centre backs but no great full back. He himself regarded centre back as his position.

Whilst a United fan I don't see what's wrong with putting Schmeichel on a par or better than Buffon. Aside from his club career he was a huge part of Denmark winning a major international tournament.

I think it's ridiculous to complain that Romario didn't spend enough time in Europe. He absolutely tore it up while he was there and at international level too. The Brazilian league was also stronger than than at present. He was clearly a special player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Looking at the two teams side by side, I find that in most positions Redzerdrog has the better players. In fact, its only in the Maradona-Daglish matchup that Morzadec is the clear winner, in my opinion.

A few other random thoughts:
    - Costacurta. He played a lot of games for Milan, but was he as good as some of the other legends picked or was he a solid pro that the club could rely on? A good defender could be made to look great when playing beside Baresi and Maldini, I just wonder how he stands on his own merits?

- I also don't think Figo is getting enough credit here. The man was a genuine world class player, and more than the equal of Laudrup in my opinion. He could be a real matchwinner here.

- Simeone is a weakness I think, relatively speaking of course. He was a good player, but not a great. Luckily for him he faces two good but not great midfield opponents, I don't think any of the truly great central midfielders made it to the final, so its a bit of a wash there.

I'm going to vote for Redzerdrog, which I am a little surprised about as I thought Morzadecs team would be very hard to beat. But thats my opinion.

well done Morzadec well played I had a feeling I was up against it but thought it would be a bit closer.

I think the pick I got wrong the most was giggs a bit early, after I picked him I knew it was an error and thought I would struggle after that but has happy then with the team I put together.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Redzerdrog
    Hard luck Redzer just getting to the final shows yours truely was a quality team and as everyone who posted said (how tight a decision it was) it was a lot closer than the poll suggests but we have a winner..
    winner_max-690x557.jpg

congrats Morzadec, Legends draft champion! Maradona FTW

Redzerdrog
    Unlucky Redzerdrog and cheers BH for running it, and all the other players - it was good fun and definitely an education in the game.

Also thank you to my players. They won a lot in their careers but I'm sure the boards.ie Legends Draft Trophy is the highlight. It's difficult to top that.

Now for a well-earned break.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpt9uqJ3lnPUXoHBtGAl3A1hTaK3ILYW2imTF6pQ8qAXTODxtl

Advertisement