Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone ever changed their own iPhone battery?

• 14-07-2013 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I saw iPhone 4 batteries for sale on eBay, reasonably price and new.

I would prefer if possible to try and change the battery in my phone myself before having to send it away for a week. Has anyone tried this before?

My only worry is the battery will be soldered onto the back of the phone or something and that I won't be able to get it out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

I saw iPhone 4 batteries for sale on eBay, reasonably price and new.

I would prefer if possible to try and change the battery in my phone myself before having to send it away for a week. Has anyone tried this before?

My only worry is the battery will be soldered onto the back of the phone or something and that I won't be able to get it out.

i have done a few for friends and its easy enough the battery is not soldered in if you look at videos on youtube you will see how its done and if your careful and take your time i can't see why you could not do it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

smokin ace wrote: »
    i have done a few for friends and its easy enough the battery is not soldered in if you look at videos on youtube you will see how its done and if your careful and take your time i can't see why you could not do it yourself

Thanks for the reply. I have just watched a few videos, it seems easy enough but I don't think I have a screwdriver that tiny.

Thanks for the reply. I have just watched a few videos, it seems easy enough but I don't think I have a screwdriver that tiny.

you should be able to pick a small screwdriver off ebay of a euro or two or get a loan of one from anyone that has a set of glasses repair kit

you should be able to pick a small screwdriver off ebay of a euro or two or get a loan of one from anyone that has a set of glasses repair kit

eBay excellent €1.21 for one plus a sim popper thing. I'm presuming it's the battery that is broken anyway. It is taking ages to charge and when it finally gets fully charged, it runs down again very quickly but the persistent problem is how hot the phone is. Is a very hot to handle phone I sign the battery needs replacing in your opinion?

I just can't do without it for a week.

just one piece of advice buy your battery from a reputable seller even if you have to spend a little bit more there are many many sellers on ebay selling batterys that are not as good as being advertised or fakes/copies

• Advertisement

just one piece of advice buy your battery from a reputable seller even if you have to spend a little bit more there are many many sellers on ebay selling batterys that are not as good as being advertised or fakes/copies

Yes there seems to be a lot of sellers selling them on eBay and I'm not really sure how to distinguish a reputable seller from the not so reputable. I might just go with one that looks to have sold a lot of them.

Yes there seems to be a lot of sellers selling them on eBay and I'm not really sure how to distinguish a reputable seller from the not so reputable. I might just go with one that looks to have sold a lot of them.

this is lad that my friends bought from and the batterys are working very well
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/REPLACEMENT-BATTERY-FOR-APPLE-IPHONE-4-4G-LITHIUM-1420MAH-616-internal-capacity-/120954322221?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item1c29707d2d

That's super, Applepro.ie were who I had settled on. Thanks so much for all your help. :)

no problem and its fantastic to see someone doing and learning about something they have not done before as i think people are gone lazy and could not be arsed fixing or repairing stuff for themselves any more so well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

You will need a special screwdriver to open the iPhone. One from a glasses repair kit will not do as it does not have a standard end.

You can get them cheap on eBay also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

That apple pro guy sells the screwdriver kits too and delivery is dean my fast.

However, I don't think your battery is the issue. The reason your iPhone is hot is possibly due to something running constantly which is using up power from your battery. I'd try a restore of the phone first as it could be a software issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

dingding wrote: »
    You will need a special screwdriver to open the iPhone. One from a glasses repair kit will not do as it does not have a standard end.

I think most/all the iphone 4 have a regular Philips screw, IIRC only later on the 4s it was changed to the pentalobe screw...

jarvis wrote: »
    That apple pro guy sells the screwdriver kits too and delivery is dean my fast.

However, I don't think your battery is the issue. The reason your iPhone is hot is possibly due to something running constantly which is using up power from your battery. I'd try a restore of the phone first as it could be a software issue.

I think it is a battery issue because I read somewhere that if iPhones are left in direct sunlight in temperatures of more than 20 degrees then it can scorch the battery, which unforntunately is what I did. Last Thursday it was 30 degrees here and I spent at least an hour lying out in the garden and was totally engrossed in a book and my phone was lying beside me under the sun for at least an hour. The problems started straight after. I'm actually quite a low user, I don't have many apps and I have no games, there is definitely nothing else running.

I have ordered the battery anyway and I'll see how I get on and report back. It should be here tomorrow. Although the comment above has me a little concerned as I ordered the iPhone 4 battery and tool kit and the screwdriver is a pentalobe or whatever and not a Philips one, the comment above suggests that pentalobe screwdrivers will only work for the 4s model or later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

flyguy wrote: »
    I think most/all the iphone 4 have a regular Philips screw, IIRC only later on the 4s it was changed to the pentalobe screw...

I have an iPhone 4 and it had the pentalobe screw. I would have purchased the phone in May 2011, so at least some of the iPhone 4's had the pentalobe screw.

dingding wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 4 and it had the pentalobe screw. I would have purchased the phone in May 2011, so at least some of the iPhone 4's had the pentalobe screw.

The screws on my iphone are in the shape of a star, am I correct in thinking they are infact pentalobe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Looks like you need the pentalobe. Seems @some stage during iPhone 4 production it was changed.
    With regards to your battery problem have you tried to reset the phone? (hold both home+sleep buttons until phone switches off), maybe that will improve things...

flyguy wrote: »
    Looks like you need the pentalobe. Seems @some stage during iPhone 4 production it was changed.
    With regards to your battery problem have you tried to reset the phone? (hold both home+sleep buttons until phone switches off), maybe that will improve things...

I have tried that twice, someone else suggested it to me but no it hasn't helped. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Advertisement