Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top of the Lake - BBC

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Just wondering if anyone has checked this show out?....its a limited six episode series and the first four are out, any comments or reviews on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I've watched the first four episodes and think it's worth watching, nothing extraordinary. There are a few storylinesand it will be interesting to see how/if they merge. I'd describe it as a show about fairly strange people.
    In the adverts they gave blurs from the director about it but I think she is trying too hard.

Two hour finale out there now, was a limited six episode show.

I was wrong, its a 7 episode run....and both out, as stated the entire series is also on Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

All episodes on US Netflix now, going to have a look at first one later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has this already been shown on BBC or is it going to be?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has this already been shown on BBC or is it going to be?

I'm sure some UK channel will pick it up, most US shows cross the water :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I'm sure some UK channel will pick it up, most US shows cross the water :)

The opening credit is a BBC one btw, it will definitely be on BBC2 at some stage this year, I watched the first episode last night, the subject matter is horrible and hard to watch initially (sexually abused, pregnant 12 yr old) but after a while you get used to that a bit, the cult story line led by Holly Hunter is a bit too quirky and doesn't really work for me, I really like Elizabeth Moss but she's not great as a New Zealander here either, it is extremely well shot though, will watch the second episode and see if its worth watching the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

I really liked this. An interesting and disturbing look at misogyny, violence, the treatment of women and children and the empowerment of same. Beautifully shot and Elisabeth Moss is excellent.
    Two hour finale out there now, was a limited six episode show.

I was wrong, its a 7 episode run....and both out, as stated the entire series is also on Netflix.
    It was made as a 6-part series but the Sundance channel re-cut it to 7 slightly shorter episodes, which explains the strange ending points to some of those episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Just finished up watching this, really enjoyable drama. Beautifully shot, great cast and a well written script. Highly recommend giving it a go. The subject matter is often harsh stuff but it's an engrossing watch.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Advertisement

Top Of The Lake starts on BBC2 next Saturday July 13th at 9.10pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

this only really going in the last 20 minutes of the final episode

I found the rest of the series very boring

Episodes[edit]

1 "Episode 1" Jane Campion Jane Campion March 18, 2013
    In the small town of Laketop, New Zealand, a young girl named Tui Mitcham tries to drown herself in a lake. After she is rescued, a school nurse notices that Tui is pregnant. Robin Griffin, a police inspector from Sydney, is called to interview Tui at the police station.
    2 "Episode 2" Garth Davis Jane Campion March 18, 2013
    Robin encounters two women from Paradise. They tell her that Tui was with them the day before, but was gone in the morning. Robin organizes the local authorities to search for Tui. During her own search, Robin walks into the lake and has a vision of Tui doing the same, clenching her fists in the water.
    3 "Episode 3" Garth Davis Jane Campion March 25, 2013
    Matt Mitcham goes to Paradise and sits in on a session with GJ, the enigmatic leader of the camp. In a mocking tone, Matt asks the group about the human mind; GJ tells Matt that the human mind schemes. Later, Al meets Matt in the middle of the lake in separate boats.
    4 "Episode 4" Jane Campion Jane Campion April 1, 2013
    Robin has dinner at Al's modern and clean house. Robin tells Al she thinks Tui's note that said "no one" means there are multiple rapists. Al tells Robin that she is getting too involved in the Tui case due to Robin's history.
    5 "Episode 5" Jane Campion Jane Campion April 8, 2013
    Robin asks Johnno what he wanted to tell her about the night she was raped. Johnno says on the night of the rape he heard Robin screaming and he peed on himself. He says he found a latch to get out of the dog cage in the back of the truck, but he was too afraid to do anything to stop the men from raping Robin.
    6 "Episode 6" Garth Davis Jane Campion April 15, 2013
    Robin reveals to Johnno that she plans to make a case against Matt Mitcham so that Tui feels safe enough to come home. Robin refers to a type of "rape" drug that she suspects Matt manufactures. Johnno warns Robin against pursuing this path as Matt's drug business provides much of the town with a livelihood.
    7 "Episode 7" Jane Campion Jane Campion April 15, 2013
    Robin goes to work in the police station the next day and tells Al what Matt told her. Al says that he thought it was appropriate for Matt to tell Robin himself, and that was the purpose of the earlier boat trip. Robin tells Al she still wants to pursue a case against Matt as she now has people willing to testify.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

New Zealand looked stunning as it always does. Moss makes a pretty good lead, and yes, you have to have Holly Hunter in there somewhere. Peter Mullan is rather evil, yet not in a 2D way, imo. The closed in feel is another positive, I think. Saying that, something about it felt a little incongruous at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Agreed. Twin Peaks seems to be an obvious influence. It hasn't really grabbed me as yet, but I'll watch the second episode and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Do you know if it's repeated on tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Possibly of no use, but whole series is on US netflix.

Addle wrote: »
    Do you know if it's repeated on tv?

At the moment BBC are only showing it once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Cant make my mind up about this.
    I didnt understand parts, who the girls family is etc.
    It seem very disjointed.
    Im giving it one more episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You are not being spoon-fed! Its Jane Campion. Twin Peaks on New Zealands South Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

mike65 wrote: »
    You are not being spoon-fed! Its Jane Campion. Twin Peaks on New Zealands South Island.

Not as much as it thinks it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Possibly of no use, but whole series is on US netflix.

cheers,i found an app on play store that
    lets you watch the us netflix :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sold second episode. Kept up the intimidation and resistance - internal and external.

First half of this episode felt like they were showing off a bit, really. Then they kicked things up a couple of notches with Robin's backstory (very affecting, and the bar scene, too), and Peter Mullan continuing to be generally psycho.

Nod to Breaking Bad with the subterranean lab?

I still find elements of this a bit meandering. Anyway, another strong performance from Moss. Flashbacks were horrendous. I reckon they're just teasing us with those kayak backdrop scenes.

Spot the Robert Ludlum novel on the bookshelf? (When Robin got her mother's voicemail). Not sure which one. It's a wonder Mitcham took this long to get a band of hunters together.

A sad (and affecting) end to the fifth episode, not the finale as the continuity bloke mentioned. I guess
    I should have seen it coming (the switch), but this time around I didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I found the conclusion a bit predictable, so disappointing.

Hmm,
    well Matt had to go once he started fighting with his sons, and there's no way the baby would die at his hands, that would have been far too bleak. Thought Robin's alcohol oblivion was pretty well done. Anyway, another dodgy policeman (should have realised with the youth cafe connection) in this genre. I would have preferred an ending with more mystery. Presumably, as Jane Campion was leaving with just a single suitcase (that can only fit as hand luggage) she was on her way to catch a Ryanair flight. :pac:

Hmm,
    well Matt had to go once he started fighting with his sons, and there's no way the baby would die at his hands, that would have been far too bleak. Thought Robin's alcohol oblivion was pretty well done. Anyway, another dodgy policeman (should have realised with the youth cafe connection) in this genre. I would have preferred an ending with more mystery. Presumably, as Jane Campion was leaving with just a single suitcase (that can only fit as hand luggage) she was on her way to catch a Ryanair flight. :pac:

Jane Campion was the director. Holly Hunter was the actress - the guru one with the suitcase. overall an ok show - liked broadchurch better which was in a similar vein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Just done the first episode of this, its brilliant, hopefully it kept it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Top of the Lake starts on TG4 on Thu, 28/8/14 @ 11pm.

Well done TG4 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Loved this series

Nicole Kidman to star in Top of the Lake season 2: China Girl
    also Game of Thrones' Gwendoline Christie

First look picture of Nicole Kidman in Top of the Lake series 2

top-of-the-lake-nicole-kidman.jpeg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

She will play Julia, a mother whose story will intersect with Detective Robin Griffin (Elisabeth Moss).

• Advertisement

Looks good. No dumbing no here, anyway.

Starts week-by-week on Thurs, July 27th. Or, the whole shebang will be on BBC iPlayer after 2.01 airs.
    All six episodes starring will be available to stream or download immediately after the first episode airs on BBC2. The series will also air weekly on BBC2 at 9pm.

Radio Times

Advertisement