Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit - who pays it?

Options
  • 14-07-2013 1:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

When i moved into Bengal 10 years ago i paid the LL €500 deposit, he defaulted 18 months ago and the property reposessed by the bank.

As such who's responsibility is it to return said deposit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If the bank repossessed then they became your landlord and they should be the ones to return your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

When i moved into Bengal 10 years ago i paid the LL €500 deposit, he defaulted 18 months ago and the property reposessed by the bank.

I assume it was properly documented and signed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I assume it was properly documented and signed?

yes...have receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

djimi wrote: »
    If the bank repossessed then they became your landlord and they should be the ones to return your deposit.

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. The tenant could join the list of LL creditors. I would contact Threshold. This is becoming increasingly common, and I would be interested in hearin their take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont think that is the case for a private landlord, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Most deposits are paid by the council when it is part of the RAS scheme. So if you were due any deposit would it not be paid to the council who might have paid the deposit for your current accommodation?

Advertisement