Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant ID please

• 14-07-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hey folks,
    Anyone know what this plant is that is growing in a couple of my flower beds? I don't remember putting it there.
    It seems to send out underground runners which pop the plant up elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Willowherb, weed it out quick before it sets seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

inocybe wrote: »
    Willowherb, weed it out quick before it sets seeds

Why? Is it a bad bastard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I'm guessing yes as it's in every bed out the back

How did you know so quickly what it is? Have you had issues with it yourself?

Evolution1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing yes as it's in every bed out the back

Out the back of your garden is it Evolution1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Its very common, and will spread by fluffy seeds blowing around everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Like the others have said, weed it out before it seeds.

'How did you know so quickly what it is' - what kind of a question is that? Either you know or you don't. Why not go and just pull it up instead of making smart remarks to people offering information and help.

looksee wrote: »

'How did you know so quickly what it is' - what kind of a question is that? Either you know or you don't. Why not go and just pull it up instead of making smart remarks to people offering information and help.

Oh good lord. This is an example of how one can't put a tone to written language and headcases who probably take offence very, very, very easily will then, well, take offence.
    That was actually intended as an inquisatory compliment, i.e. well done on identifying it so quickly and you must have it yourself, etc.
    This is why I don't spend too much time on forums and the like as it often seems to descend into this sort of inane, pointless squabbling.
    Get out and enjoy the sun.
    I'm going pulling weeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Cleared and replanted a stretch of what used to be mountain land, i.e. heather and moss blanket bog. A year after the felling and replant, the willow herb was everywhere, phenomenal masses of it.
    It is a pioneer species which will colonize damaged ecosystems thereby preparing the way for other plants by fixing nutrients, providing initial shelter or adding nutrients by way of its leaf litter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

looksee wrote: »

Patience is inherent in the gardener and it is a delight to pass on our collective knowledge, its all fun and games and a million and one questions, until the issue is clear for the avid beginner to the old hand.

Geoff Hamilton should be your guiding light, ask for clarification rather than assuming a comment is possibly negative.

Advertisement