Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get mix for pizza base? :)

Options
  • 14-07-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hey guys
    as the title suggests I'm looking for mix for pizza base. I used to get the one
    in aldi but it was a special buy :( And I'm having trouble sourcing alternatives.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

amazing :D Tesco being huge I didn't spot this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The Douglas and Mahon Point markets also do pretty good premixed dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

You can get it in the English market too. One of the stalls over by the fish side..... directly in front of the Oliver Plunkett St. entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Pizza is amazingly easy to make from scratch

Activate some yeast in warm water
    Add a little bread flour
    Leave for a few hours
    Add more flour and knead into a dough
    Let rise for a couple of hours
    Decorate
    Bake in as hot an oven as you can find

It's some kind of science, but definitely not the rocket variety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Agreed, buying pizza base 'mix' is up there with buying pancake 'mix'. It's two ingredients ffs. Yeast and flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pwurple wrote: »
    Agreed, buying pizza base 'mix' is up there with buying pancake 'mix'. It's two ingredients ffs. Yeast and flour.

Don't forget water :)

Very easy to make, especially if you have some sort of mixer to save you all that manual kneading. Either way, it is pretty time consuming letting it proof. I'd usually make my own but have bought dough from the English market if I know I'm going to be short on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

and don't forget the sugar and salt! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Bacchus wrote: »
    Don't forget water :)

Very easy to make, especially if you have some sort of mixer to save you all that manual kneading. Either way, it is pretty time consuming letting it proof. I'd usually make my own but have bought dough from the English market if I know I'm going to be short on time.

You can freeze the home made one though, I'd normally make a big enough batch for 3-4 pizza's (depending on how hungry I am :)) use enough for one and then freeze the rest until the day before I need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

you can buy a great one in Ballintemple food store. Think tis 3 something so lets say 4.oo and you would get three pizza's out of it, thin ones..really tasty

Cheers for all the replies. I'm a newbie to pizza making and wasn't really sure about the dough. But hey i'll give it a try. Practice makes perfect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

rosie16 wrote: »
    Cheers for all the replies. I'm a newbie to pizza making and wasn't really sure about the dough. But hey i'll give it a try. Practice makes perfect :D

its really does, another trick my husband found is to fry in oil (in a large enough for it to fit frying pan) the dough before adding the toppings and baking it,

it makes it crispy (and less bready/doughy) like the proper pizza's you get abroad, or the stone baked ones,

unless of course you are lucky enough to own a stone oven :D

hoodwinked wrote: »
    its really does, another trick my husband found is to fry in oil (in a large enough for it to fit frying pan) the dough before adding the toppings and baking it,

it makes it crispy (and less bready/doughy) like the proper pizza's you get abroad, or the stone baked ones,

unless of course you are lucky enough to own a stone oven :D

all these ideas, I'm going to have so much fun experimenting! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

hoodwinked wrote: »
    and don't forget the sugar and salt! :D

Don't need sugar or salt in a pizza dough... and water comes right from the tap so ya don't need to buy that either.

I'm gone pizza nutty the last two years... saving up for the bits and pieces for an outdoor woodfired oven next. I was visiting people who had one and it was the bloody business. Pizza in 2 mins. A whole chicken in about 25 mins.

Anyone built one?
    These people sell the bits, but twould be great if there was someone in Cork with them

http://www.pizzaovens4u.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=5

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

If anyone has a Weber barbeque you can buy a pizza stone attachment for them. We got one two weeks ago in anticipation of nice weather and have used it loads since. It makes a really nice pizza. The aim is eventually to make our own wood fired oven in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

pwurple wrote: »
    Anyone built one?
    These people sell the bits, but twould be great if there was someone in Cork with them

http://www.pizzaovens4u.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=5

James May built one as part of his man lab series which shows they're not the hardest thing to build if you've any construction experience

I've wanted one since about the age of 6 when I got the Lego Pizzeria set, and someday I will have one.

10036_brickset.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

O'Keefes, the artisan grocery place at St Luke's Cross usually have it too if you're around St Lukes / Montenotte / Mayfield etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭hargo

I built my own oven similar to James May. Great project if you like that sort of thing and the satisfaction is immense. Wouldn't recommend curing the oven as fast as they did, normally takes at least a week of gradually bigger fires. A wfo doesn't guarantee a great pizza but if you love neapolitan light chewy dough it's the only way to go. Hand kneed the dough, slow ferment in the fridge and keep it simple. It's a real treat. The garlic bread is amazing too.

Advertisement