Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anal glands/worms

• 14-07-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Would cutting back on food trigger a 8 month pup have problems with her anal glands? We were told to reduce her food intake which we did, that was Thursday. And since yesterday she's been scooting her bum around on any hard surface. She's in perfect form other than that.

She got her worming tablets 3 weeks ago and there was no worms in her poo or on her fur so I don't think its worms.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Food reduction (as long as it is the same food!) shouldn't cause an issue with anal glands. If your dog is very bothered by her bum, a vet will be able to drain them for you and have a look to make sure there is nothing else going on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It could be constipation, is she taking plenty of water in this hot weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Yeah drinking loads of water. And her stools are ok, though smaller pile, due to cutting food back I would assume.

She doesn't seem too bothered by it but I don't want her suffering. Still on the same food, she's on hills i.d food.

I think I'm just turning into a hypochondriac, she had struggled with bowel troubles from the moment we got her. She was on meds daily to control diarrhea from about 10 weeks until she was 6 1/2 months. I think maybe a trip to the vet in the morning to make doubly sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could try giving her a carrot if she'll take it - it'll bulk out the poos and might help to express the glands? If you do a search you'll find tons of posts on alternatives to Hills id... ;)

We went out for a run last night on the beach and she delivered me a massive poo after all the running about and hasn't been scooting her bum on the ground so I think she's back to normal.

If she starts off again, I'll be sure to give her a carrot. She will try anything.

TK123, do you buy pet supplies from zooplus? Was pretty sure I saw a picture of dogs uploaded with your username??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

While she might be ok for now, you would be best to get to the root of the problem. You say she was on medication for diarrhea for months? Did the vet suggest an elimination diet to find out the cause of the digestive problem?

I would look at cutting out all foods and start with a fresh homemade or raw diet to identify and eliminate the problem. She could have an intolerance to gluten, a protein found in wheat (most kibble foods are stuffed full of it) or even an intolerance to cooked meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

wendydoll wrote: »
    carrot. She will try anything.

TK123, do you buy pet supplies from zooplus? Was pretty sure I saw a picture of dogs uploaded with your username??

Yeah I've uploaded a few of my boy lol :p

While she might be ok for now, you would be best to get to the root of the problem. You say she was on medication for diarrhea for months? Did the vet suggest an elimination diet to find out the cause of the digestive problem?

Yeah the vet took several stool and blood tests. Everything was clear every time. She seems to stuff with doggy irritable bowel. The vet said lots of pups can have it and tend to grow out of it.

He took her off her food, was on a royal canin one, we gave her just rice and boiled chicken, settled tummy troubles down, vet suggested adding the royal canin back into rice and chicken and straight away diarrhea was back and she was back on meds again.

Finally she started back on rice and chicken and then gradually added hills prescription i.d. She's had no problems with her bowels since until the other day.

tk123, just realised I sounded like a stalker there, lol. It stuck in my head because there's rarely people reviewing from Ireland, let alone ones with doggies enjoying sunshine in Waterford

Advertisement