Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My visa not billed but partners sourced billed

Options
  • 14-07-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

I have an account for several years with tolltag.ie and its linked also I believe to quickpark.ie.

Up until March 2013 I was always billed to my credit card and I also had the automatic top up set up for convenience.

The car is shared between myself and my partner but its registered in her name.

In May last we had a family crisis and the car overstayed at the airport. When I returned to Dublin two weeks over the timei booked and I went to the quickpark office. I offered to pay the money owed but the chap told me my details are on the system and I will just be billed and charged so I was free to leave and so I left.

Now two months later I was billed for nothing since March but by some miracle my partners visa has been billed for tolls and for parking. I never put her visa on the system.

When I looked up their terms and conditions there is a line stating they have the power to source credit card details from a company based in the UK.

I never heard of this before I emailed company last week I never got a reply and they seem very difficult to contact on the phone as they haven't answered any time I called.

Has anybody else ever encountered this practise of outside sourcing of someone's credit card details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Make a formal request to them under data protection legislation asking for all information they hold about you.

If they don't comply within the time, get the Data Protection commissioner on the case.

If they have data you didn't give them, ask them how they got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

ardmacha wrote: »
    Make a formal request to them under data protection legislation asking for all information they hold about you.

If they don't comply within the time, get the Data Protection commissioner on the case.

If they have data you didn't give them, ask them how they got it.

Should I put that request in for me or for my partner?

The big issue is that they seem to have gotten her credit card details but the account was always in my name with my credit card not hers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

You should get your partner to report the transaction to her bank as an unauthorised transaction as the company did not have any authorisation from her to charge the account

Sourcing credit card numbers in this manner would be a violation of the data protection acts in both ROI and UK and a violation of the card issuers terms of service

A quick trip to your local police station to report this might also be in order

Would you have the name of the UK company by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'd be reporting it to the DPC immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Should I put that request in for me or for my partner?

Good point. Your partner. They must claim some dealings with her if they have charged her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

Can you show a link where they say they can source your credit card number using a 3rd party?

Maybe they can trace your car reg number and get a home adress, but a credit card number is unbelievable. I think it's much more likely that you added their credit card at some stage and forgot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Here is extract from website:

"Card Type: Select your card type from the drop down box. Visa, Mastercard and Laser/Maestro are accepted.

Card Number: Enter your card number here. Please note ParkMagic DO NOT store your actual card number anywhere on our systems. The card number is validated by our card authorizer (www.creditcall.co.uk) a tier 1 PCI approved card authorizer and the authorizer provides us with a secure means to apply charges when presented.

CSV Value. This entry box only appears for Visa/Mastercard card types. The CSV value is the last three digits printed on the signature strip on the back of your card. Please note ParkMagic DO NOT store your actual CSV number anywhere on our systems. The CSV number is validated by our card authorizer (www.creditcall.co.uk) a tier 1 PCI approved card authorizer and the authorizer provides us with a secure means to apply charges when presented."

here is a link to the online page: https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/UI/controls.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Is it possible that card number was used for that reg for parking somewhere else, or clamping or anything else?

They may have it on file from that and matched it up

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Here is extract from website:

here is a link to the online page: https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/UI/controls.aspx

That just refers to how they process & store credit card transactions - after you give them the card details.

There is no way in hell that any 3rd party can legally get your card number, you must have given it to them at some stage.

Is the card new? If it is, even if they had the old card number the charges would appear on the new card, because they would have permission to charge the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Also they state that they don't store any credit card numbers yet you said that they do automatic top-ups. How do they do them if they don't store your credit card number?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

ElNino wrote: »
    Also they state that they don't store any credit card numbers yet you said that they do automatic top-ups. How do they do them if they don't store your credit card number?

external payment processor maybe?

Advertisement