Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOME EC CHILDCARE HELP!!!!

• 14-07-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi! i'm currently trying to get a head start on my childcare project for next year and i'm really struggling. my teacher has given us no help with regards topics or what actually needs to go into the folder. I'm thinking of going for the heading of 'speech development in toddlers' but after that i'm lost. if i chose this heading, do i talk about physical, emotional and intellectual development as well or do i just focus on speech?? :confused: Maybe the heading i have chosen is too specific, but looking at the examiners report some people picked it last year.

any advice is really appreciated:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You're starting way too early, I wouldn't start now on any real work but maybe get a rough idea and do some personal research so you know what you're going to do.

The topic "Speech Development in toddlers" is very ... bland, if you know what I mean.

When researching for the project, I would reconmmend looking at;

-Physical activities that help improve speech in toddlers.
    -How does talking work?
    -Evolution of speech.
    -Diseases related to speech(speech disorders etc)
    -Some facts about speech in toddlers.
    -Special programms to help improve speech in disabled toddlers.

Obviously you could research more things. You have to write a min 1500 words, but anything between 1400-1700 is good. Make sure to remember where you get your information. You will have to name the book(and author + page number) and copy and paste the website link.

Along with that, you will have to conduct your own research. For my project last year, I interviewed a teacher who had a autistic child. So keep that in mind. If you have a brother or sister who's a toddler, that's perfect. Also, doesn't have to be an interview, it can be anything, as long you do it your self and it's you gaining information, not taking it from a book or anything. I also e-mailed a charity organisation which in turn they mailed me an information pack, I included this in my project folder.

Your teacher will cover all of this when your class starts the project, so don't worry.

Feel free to ask more questions :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cometz

It's best to wait until you get back to school, you'll need the advice from your teacher so I wait until then. You don't need a head start you have plenty of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 plcgirl

You're starting way too early, I wouldn't start now on any real work but maybe get a rough idea and do some personal research so you know what you're going to do.

The topic "Speech Development in toddlers" is very ... bland, if you know what I mean.

When researching for the project, I would reconmmend looking at;

-Physical activities that help improve speech in toddlers.
    -How does talking work?
    -Evolution of speech.
    -Diseases related to speech(speech disorders etc)
    -Some facts about speech in toddlers.
    -Special programms to help improve speech in disabled toddlers.

Obviously you could research more things. You have to write a min 1500 words, but anything between 1400-1700 is good. Make sure to remember where you get your information. You will have to name the book(and author + page number) and copy and paste the website link.

Along with that, you will have to conduct your own research. For my project last year, I interviewed a teacher who had a autistic child. So keep that in mind. If you have a brother or sister who's a toddler, that's perfect. Also, doesn't have to be an interview, it can be anything, as long you do it your self and it's you gaining information, not taking it from a book or anything. I also e-mailed a charity organisation which in turn they mailed me an information pack, I included this in my project folder.

Your teacher will cover all of this when your class starts the project, so don't worry.

Feel free to ask more questions :).

thanks a mill for all that help. the reason i am starting this early is because the other home ec class in our school has all their projects finished since april and our teacher advised that we try and get them sorted before we start back in sept. :)

just a few more questions if that's okay, as they are a huge help.

The topics you mentioned above, would they be classified as aims?
    also i read in other projects that people discuss the emotional and intellectual development of a child so would i have to include them as aims in my project also.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Ah bless new 3rd years ;)

plcgirl wrote: »
    thanks a mill for all that help. the reason i am starting this early is because the other home ec class in our school has all their projects finished since april and our teacher advised that we try and get them sorted before we start back in sept. :)

just a few more questions if that's okay, as they are a huge help.

The topics you mentioned above, would they be classified as aims?
    also i read in other projects that people discuss the emotional and intellectual development of a child so would i have to include them as aims in my project also.:confused:
    An examiner would be really bored to read 100s of projects layed out the same format like you explained.

Try make your project as unique as possible but stay within the limits. Include things that no one would include in your class.

Also, the topics I mentioned are aims. "By doing this project I want to learn blah blah blah ...".

You need to show off to the examiner so don't keep repeating the same words in paragraphs, learn new words to use. I did this (I used very complex phrasing and words) and my teacher thought I copied and pasted (not a very smart teacher). Good thing I had the links to my sources :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Ah bless new 3rd years ;)
    Makes me cry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Makes me cry ;)

Jaysus we're the auldies now Arnie, giving advice to the young 'uns ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 plcgirl

hey guys, thanks for the advice. Asked my teacher about the topics and as i expected she was no help :( she said that i could'nt do any project relating to child speech or play development and the only two options were 'conception to birth' and 'physical, emotional and intelectual of a child between 0-6 or 1-2. I'm in a dilemma as i know that i should be able to do another style of project. all 15 girls in the class are doing one of the above options and i feel like the examiner will mark us down for all doing the same one :( .....any advice? should i just do my own project in relation to speech or stick to what she is saying....im soo confused?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Show your teacher this, it's from last year's Chief Examiner's Report:

The wide range of Childcare projects presented for examination in 2012 included the following topics and related themes:
    • case studies on the physical, emotional, and social development of children at various stages of their formative years (and comparisons made with milestones)
    • importance of diet in a child’s development.
    • the development and care of deciduous teeth
    • footwear and its impact on the physical development of a child
    • speech related topics
    • sight related topics
    • the effects of smoking, alcohol and drugs on a baby
    • the effects of modern technology on children
    • the effects of dyslexia on a child’s life
    • benefits of breastfeeding
    • childhood obesity
    • ADHD, Aspergers Syndrome, Asthma, Cerebral palsy, Crohn’s disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Diabetes, Down’s Syndrome, Dyspraxia, Epilepsy,
    Infantile spasm, Juvenile arthritis, Spina Bifida, Whooping cough - the effect of these conditions on a child’s development
    • how crèches/playschools/nurseries /preschool/Montessori influence the development of a child
    • the importance of play in a child’s development
    • toy safety and safety in the home.

From: http://examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/2012_Chief_Examiner_Report_JC_Home_Economics.pdf (.pdf file)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kthryn

Someone can help me to do my Action Project???????????????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

kthryn wrote: »
    Someone can help me to do my Action Project???????????????

It's exam work, so you do it yourself.

Advertisement