Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pectin - where to purchase?

• 14-07-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭

Hi. Anybody know where to buy pectin (for jam making) in Dublin? Did an online search in the bigger shops but no luck so far. Thanks.
    Post edited by Gloomtastic! on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

'Jam Sugar' or "Gelling Sugar" is what most people use and that is easy to come by.

I am pretty sure you can also use gelatin which is easy to find but your jam will not be vegetarian if you do this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Apparently if you use Pectin sugar, the jam does not keep as long.
    Lemon Juice or red currant juice will increase pectin levels.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made a bunch of cherry jam this last week with ordinary sugar and lemon juice. Boil to 110°C and pour into sterilised jars, and you're done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Try a health food store, they often stock it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I've been looking for it myself the last few weeks, after I tried 3 different Tesco, a sales person finally told me they don't stock it any more - she wasn't sure why.

I got a bottle in Dunnes in Cornelscourt finally - it was the last bottle, but the sales person told me there was more due in.

Holland & Barrett (in Nutgrove anyways) don't stock it, but Nourish in Nutgrove offered to order it in for me - really didn't think it'd be something so difficult to find.

On a separate note - jam sugar's down to €1.50 in Dunnes - not sure how long for - did you make your jam yet? this is my first year making it (with mixed results)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭frisket

Got some for my marmalade last year in Dunnes (Bishopstown) but now they claim they can't get it, same for SuoerValu and Tesco. But I just got some in Quay Co-Op (Cork &.Ballincollig) where they have plenty on the shelves, so once again the supermarkets are simply not trying hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Zombie thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement