Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do/Places to eat in the Bantry area

Options
  • 14-07-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

My family and I are due to stay in the Bantry area in the coming weeks. I'd be very grateful for any advice or recommendations from locals regarding nice drives, walks, places to visit, restaurants etc.

We've stayed in Goleen in recent years so we've already been to Mizen Head lighthouse and Bantry House. I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Skibbereen is always a nice place to visit. There's a beach nearby in Tragumna. I never go too far beyond Skibbereen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What sort of walks,there are walks out and around town (bantry)or walks out the sheeps head and many more.places to eat include O'conners sea food,the usual Chinese,Indian ect,pub grub in the Snug/Waterfront or The Quays.

If you wish to drive a bit try going to dursy island,out to castletown bere and follow the signs for the cable car.Ahilles has a very nice beach.Glengarrif for walks in the woods,or a 40 minute spin over the mountains to Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

70 minutes gets you (spit) Killarney, beyond Ahilles is the Tim Healy pass

Donemark Falls is still free by all accounts

Pass on Skib its a dump

Zetland pier if your kids are big enough to go snorkelling, similar spot the other side of the bay near akista but begins with R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Loch Hyne on far side of skib for a swim or a snorkell

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Donemark is still free but the door ways in the ruins are very low,mind your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Garinish Island just off glengarriffis pretty special

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Theres a savage kebab shop on the corner by the square lol.

.red. wrote: »
    Theres a savage kebab shop on the corner by the square lol.
    What, the one beside the bantry bay hotel??

mp22 wrote: »

Lowering the whole tone of the square, surely not

Sniff they took out chipper van and replaced it with a kebab

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thanks so much for all the suggestions Guys :)

• Advertisement

It is one of the most underrated gems of West Cork, great place to base your self, have a drive around on the back roads, some lovely places to see

Yep if you get stuck for ideas when you are down here let me know and we will sort out some hidden spots for you to see.

Not sure. The seating looks like it cost £5 about 40 years ago and its across from the fountain in the square.
    The kebabs are pretty good. Dont get the special kebab tho as it contains something that looks like mr hankey! The doner is top notch.

.red. wrote: »
    Not sure. The seating looks like it cost £5 about 40 years ago and its across from the fountain in the square.
    The kebabs are pretty good. Dont get the special kebab tho as it contains something that looks like mr hankey! The doner is top notch.

I have never set foot inside the place and to be honest I probably never will.Its beside the Bantry Bay hotel.

I have never set foot inside the place and to be honest I probably never will.Its beside the Bantry Bay hotel.

You dont know what your missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

The brick oven is tasty for grub btw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ring of Beara is a fantastic drive, Dursey Island cable car great and Garnish beach just before Dursey is a nice place for a swim.
    Healy pass is nice but busy this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thanks for all the recommendations folks :)

My family and I had a fantastic week in the Sheep's Head Peninsula & West Cork. I'd highly recommend West Cork for a staycation - Breathtaking Scenery - Delicious Cuisine and Friendly People.

The Highlights

Healy's Pass between Adrigole in Co. Cork and Lauragh in Co. Kerry (Stunning view) Thanks to CJhaughey for recommending Healy's Pass.
    The Beara Peninsula (Allihies and Eyeries are very pretty villages with brightly coloured shopfronts and houses)
    Lighthouse Loop Walk, Sheep's Head Peninsula
    Mizen Head Experience (Lighthouse)
    Day trip to Killarney (it's a beautiful drive)
    St. Finbarr's Oratory, Gougane Barra
    Forest walk and picnic in Gougane Barra Forest Park
    Schull (There is a lovely bookshop/cafe there - Whyte Books)
    Clonakilty Model Railway Village & The Choo Choo Tour through Clonakilty
    An Sugan Bar & Restaurant, Clonakilty (Their fish pie is to die for)
    Supervalu in Clonakilty is one of the best SV stores I've been in, they've a wonderful selection of local/Irish artisan produce.
    Bantry Farmer's Market (Friday)
    Bantry House & Gardens
    Sullivan's Bar - Crookhaven (delcious seafood chowder)
    Boat trip to Garnish Island

Mobile and broadband coverage is extremely poor in parts of West Cork (especially The Sheeps Head Peninsula). This actually might be a plus for anyone who wants to get away from it all. If you get distressed by seeing 'No Service' on your mobile phone or iPad like I do, it's not so good :o:D

The Heron's Cove Restaurant in Goleen has always been one of my favourite places to eat in West Cork. We were really looking forward to receiving another great meal there (we've been eating there on and off for the last 15 years). However, we had a very disappointing meal on this trip. The service was very poor, the food was underwhelming and it's not exactly cheap. I hope it was just an off night for them. The view of the cove is amazing, so I'd recommend a table by the window.

Advertisement