Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive begging/mugging

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fusion19

When i was 17 two junkies tried to mug me in galway I was a lot bigger than them and played a lot of rugby. One of them swung for me and connected the punch was very harmless so I knew I would be able to deal with the situation so I landed both of them 2 or 3 good punches and they were on the ground apolagising......long story short this can happen anywhere Whether it be Dublin, Galway or even a huge city like paris.Also be careful as a lot of junkies are HIV Positive and one slap off their needle could land you in all sorts of bother

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

unclejoe wrote: »
    I was walking on the back streets from capal street to o'connell street there today on the smaller quiet roads and two junkies approached me begging for cash. They were mid to late 20's.
    Span me some tale of needing the money for a train to Cork. I was trying to walk past but they blocked my way and started getting pretty aggressive. I saw one of their hands reach for their back pocket so started talking to them fairly sharpish. They got right tin my face and i gave them the little change I had. They're weren't happy until they saw the note section of my wallet and thankfully I only had a fiver which i gave them. They backed off after this and moved along.

I'm pretty sure they were about to get violent. It's ****ing disgraceful the amount of that type round that area always asking for cash. I was tempted to just barge past them them and leg it but they looked pretty strung out I'd image they would have happily opened me up. It was strange as they didn't ask for my phone or anything so it's not really a mugging. They started out just asking for a tenner but it was pretty obvious they were willing to getting violent to get it. Wonder if they would have taken more if I had it.

Wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences around there?

Pretty sure that's a mugging, mate.

Last time I was back home, I took my Chinese girlfriend into town to do some shopping; Henry Street, Jervis Centre, Temple Bar, Grafton Street. I hadn't been home in a while and noticed something like a 'tension' in the air. I was very protective of her as, being from a city like Shanghai, she had no concept of getting hassle on the street from people as it's uber-safe over here. I had warned her that she might experience some racism, and the scobies didn't let me down - there were a few mutterings of "chink" or "go home, ya bleedin gook" on O'Connell Street, from behind my back obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Walked the full length of Dublin city there on saturday, just for something to do for a few hours.

Didnt see an ounce of trouble on stephens green, dawson street, grafton street o connell street the quays or temple bar.

Am i missing this tension that is supposed to be around? because it was quite obviously not there. Just nice warm weather and smiling faces.

I think detractors tend to have louder voices or else just like to have their opinions heard.

listermint wrote: »
    Walked the full length of Dublin city there on saturday, just for something to do for a few hours.

Didnt see an ounce of trouble on stephens green, dawson street, grafton street o connell street the quays or temple bar.

Am i missing this tension that is supposed to be around? because it was quite obviously not there. Just nice warm weather and smiling faces.

I think detractors tend to have louder voices or else just like to have their opinions heard.

When I used to live in Dublin, in the cultural epicentre that was Mountjoy Square, I did long walks around Dublin when I was bored, and to get to know the place. Never once had someone say boo to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Dublin is grand as a city. Every city has its problem which you wont notice as a tourist. It's when you live there that you pick up on what's going on. 2-3 nights on a tourist weekend away you'll see little crime. 48 weeks a year of walking to and from work daily through the city centre you'll see a lot. When I was in Berlin in a 3 night period I was accosted by a heroin addicted prostitute, asked by a group of skinheads if me and my friends would like to fight their group and saw a group of junkies openly shooting up in a park across the road from my hotel. Will I judge Berlin as a city filled with violent scumbags and heroin addicts? No, I'm smart enough not to jump to conclusions like that.

I'd happily wager that the people commenting about how obvious Dublin's problems are have never lived in a foreign city for a lengthy time. If we have the resources to sufficient police the O'Connell street area we'd have a lovely city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Kiltennel wrote: »
    Dublin is grand as a city. Every city has its problem which you wont notice as a tourist. It's when you live there that you pick up on what's going on. 2-3 nights on a tourist weekend away you'll see little crime. 48 weeks a year of walking to and from work daily through the city centre you'll see a lot. When I was in Berlin in a 3 night period I was accosted by a heroin addicted prostitute, asked by a group of skinheads if me and my friends would like to fight their group and saw a group of junkies openly shooting up in a park across the road from my hotel. Will I judge Berlin as a city filled with violent scumbags and heroin addicts? No, I'm smart enough not to jump to conclusions like that.

I'd happily wager that the people commenting about how obvious Dublin's problems are have never lived in a foreign city for a lengthy time. If we have the resources to sufficient police the O'Connell street area we'd have a lovely city.

May I ask, which part of Berlin it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Lars1916 wrote: »
    May I ask, which part of Berlin it was?

The hooker and addicts shooting up in the park was Moabit (What the area seems to be called on Google Maps, right beside the Turmstrabe metro station) while the skinheads were in the city centre. No idea where, it was at night while we were looking for a taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I've been mugged three (I think, could be 4) times in Dublin CC in my lifetime. However, considering I spent 48 weeks a year for about 4 years going into town a minimum of 5 days a week, I don't think that's a huge amount really. Obviously, it shouldn't happen at all, but I'm 5'1, I'm female, I'm a pretty easy target. :pac:

The few times I've been in London, I've been accosted by an aggressive beggar a couple of times a day (and this was in decent enough areas like Oxford/Bond Street, Kensington, etc). When I'm in Dublin, I might get one person a day asking me for change, which I ignore and walk on.

What I found that helped with the really aggressive beggars when I was a smoker was saying that I had no money on me, but I could give them a smoke. They always, without fail, thanked me and moved on after I gave them a smoke.

Kinda sucks that I don't smoke anymore. :pac: It was helpful for getting away from them!

I don't think it's as big a problem as some people make out, though. I'm not going to lie, I'll see people strung out any time I'm in town, but 99% of them leave me the fook alone, so I don't think aggressive begging is as bad as people are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I've been mugged three (I think, could be 4) times in Dublin CC in my lifetime. However, considering I spent 48 weeks a year for about 4 years going into town a minimum of 5 days a week, I don't think that's a huge amount really. Obviously, it shouldn't happen at all, but I'm 5'1, I'm female, I'm a pretty easy target. :pac:

The few times I've been in London, I've been accosted by an aggressive beggar a couple of times a day (and this was in decent enough areas like Oxford/Bond Street, Kensington, etc). When I'm in Dublin, I might get one person a day asking me for change, which I ignore and walk on.

What I found that helped with the really aggressive beggars when I was a smoker was saying that I had no money on me, but I could give them a smoke. They always, without fail, thanked me and moved on after I gave them a smoke.

Kinda sucks that I don't smoke anymore. :pac: It was helpful for getting away from them!

I don't think it's as big a problem as some people make out, though. I'm not going to lie, I'll see people strung out any time I'm in town, but 99% of them leave me the fook alone, so I don't think aggressive begging is as bad as people are saying.

sounds like you need a bodyguard

• Advertisement

sounds like you need a bodyguard

Three incidents in the space of god only knows how many hours of walking through town on my own and I need a bodyguard? I don't think so. I've had enough self defense training that I can look after myself just fine, but I always figure it's easier to hand over whatever's in my purse than face a man with a needle/knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

to be mugged 4x is a ridiculous amount of times.

to be mugged 4x is a ridiculous amount of times.

In the space of four years, spending approximately 1,200 days (more than likely more, as I was usually in town on my days off, anyway) in town, having to walk up places like Talbot Street to get to work, I don't think so. Like I said, aside from spending a hell of a lot of time in town, I look like a target because I'm small and female.

My point was that while that has happened to me a few times, I might be asked for change once in a day out in town, as opposed to several times per day each time I've been in London. So no, I don't think the issue is as big as people are saying.

you really are not making much sense now. Im not going to argue over it, the main thing is that you don't think that having been mugged 4x in that big a deal. Others would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I haven't been mugged yet to this day, but maybe that's because they all sense a strangeness about me, as i carry a pen modified into a needle point with cap containing a poison from the puffer fish of very small doses not to kill but to paralyse and blind said attacker for a day or two as below...

Not all the poisons used by the ninja are fatal, some of them were used to merely paralyse or cause blindness. It is not always necessary to kill. I pitty the folks that try to mug me though :D they will surely regret it seriously.

http://www.entertheninja.com/fact_poisons.php

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

Around 6 months ago I was collecting my girlfriend after work in the Mater Private. Pulled into a street parking space just opposite the main entrance and just as I switched off the car a junkie jumped into the passenger seat and said he was taking the car. A bit of a struggle ensued until he said he had a needle (I don't know if he had or not but he was holding his hand up as if he had). I jumped out of the car taking the keys and he legged it. Girlfriend now locks the car as soon as she gets in.
    Lived in different areas of the city (Rathmines, Rathgar, Stillorgan, Fairview, Capel Street) for 5 or 6 years and never had any trouble up to this point. Problems such as illegal dumping, aggressive begging and open drug selling/taking do seem to be more prevalent where I am living now however(D1 NCR area), whether this is a new thing or area specific I don't know.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    In the space of four years, spending approximately 1,200 days (more than likely more, as I was usually in town on my days off, anyway) in town, having to walk up places like Talbot Street to get to work, I don't think so. Like I said, aside from spending a hell of a lot of time in town, I look like a target because I'm small and female.

My point was that while that has happened to me a few times, I might be asked for change once in a day out in town, as opposed to several times per day each time I've been in London. So no, I don't think the issue is as big as people are saying.

It saddens me so much to hear this. Small woman, target for skag fiends. Lady, you need to look out for yourself. What can I say but invest in some knuckledusters and some good running shoes - smash them in the face and leg it.

worth considering that knuckle dusters are illegal and would land you in trouble if in posession of them

Also, the poster stated it was easier to hand these over incase they had a knife or syringe

worth considering that knuckle dusters are illegal and would land you in trouble if in posession of them

Also, the poster stated it was easier to hand these over incase they had a knife or syringe

That's exactly it.

The last time I was mugged was about 2 and a half years ago. It was 8am, I was on my way to work. Guy stands in front of me as I stopped to light a smoke, asked me for change. I said I had none, sorry. He moved closer, looked down and there's a syringe aimed at my thigh.

Now, I could have kneed him to the balls, I could have punched him, could have sprayed perfume in his face, or whatever else I would generally do if I'm in a situation where I need to protect myself.

However, that would run the risk of getting stuck with the needle. Or, if I didn't floor him with one punch, he'd be angry, and more likely to stick me. If I handed over my purse, I still ran the risk of being stuck with the syringe, but a lot less of a risk.

I am fully able to defend myself. I'm also not stupid enough to risk my life for fifty euro or whatever else is in my purse.

Advertisement