Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I only get 30mb

• 14-07-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Hi

As part of UPCs most recent biannual price increase, I was told i would get 50mb for the hike.

Then I got a mail to say I was upgraded to the maximum in my area, 30mb?

So why don't I get 50mb like everyone else?

It's like being told when you buy your car, you're only getting 3 wheels!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Hi

As part of UPCs most recent biannual price increase, I was told i would get 50mb for the hike.

Then I got a mail to say I was upgraded to the maximum in my area, 30mb?

So why don't I get 50mb like everyone else?

It's like being told when you buy your car, you're only getting 3 wheels!

It all depends on the distance from the UPC exchange, but when they tell you, you will get this and that speed, All i can forward you to is this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

zenno wrote: »
    It all depends on the distance from the UPC exchange, but when they tell you, you will get this and that speed, All i can forward you to is this....

eh no you're thinking of DSL cable does not (really) have distance limits and UPC don't have any exchanges either...

It's quite likely the cables in your area are old and haven't been upgraded yet, for instance I know that in parts of Dublin 7 the cables need to be upgraded, in the meantime the people there can only get 30Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

bealtine wrote: »
    eh no you're thinking of DSL cable does not (really) have distance limits and UPC don't have any exchanges either...

It's quite likely the cables in your area are old and haven't been upgraded yet, for instance I know that in parts of Dublin 7 the cables need to be upgraded, in the meantime the people there can only get 30Mb

Ehh... UPC does have an exchange obviously, This i assume would be the exchange Hub central, even though it has a huge fat pipe across the city

I do agree with your point in that the cables in the area can be bad in certain areas, but the main thing in this is... how long would it take to get this area recabled ? months probably ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm in an area that gets 30mb max, no hd tv channels, no remote record and no on demand.
    An engineer said that the service to my area is wireless to the cabinet and then wired from the cabinet to the house. He said its a quick way to get an area started and that they normally do it properly after a while.dong know if it is true of not but that's what he said.

I got the letter a while back about the price hike and my first uear was just about up so I rang then to give 30 notice as I was gonna switch to sky for tv and efibre was just about to be launched by eircom.

I said I can't justify paying the same amount as my brother pays but he get 100mb and all the other stuff I posted above.
    They then gave me a really good deal to keep me and I'm much happier with that so give them a call and explain your frustrations. I was helped by the fact my contract was about to end but sure call anywho.

Advertisement