Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Chocolate - 70-95%

Options
  • 14-07-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Which is the best and where can it be purchased? I usually opt for 85% and buy Moser Roth and its ok.
    If i was to go elsewhere, who could suggest a brand and where it can be bought in Dublin.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Lidl is actually really good for dark chocolate. They have big bars of good quality stuff at decent prices. They also do a tub with individual chocolates in a variety of grades (from about 50% up to 90+) so you can try different ones out. I can't remember the brand name, it's in an octagon shaped tub with a clear top.

Edit: it's JD Gross chocolate (http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-F055E545-EFBB23FE/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/4179_8075.htm), I can only see 70% on their site but they do have stronger and weaker avilable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Lindt go up to 90% and most Dunnes and Tesco stores should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lindt go up to 90% and most Dunnes and Tesco stores should have it.

Lindt goes up to 99%.
    I keep meaning to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lindt is frequently on offer in supermarkets nowadays. Hard to get that 99% though.

Aldi do packs of small individual bars at a decent price per kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Which is the best and where can it be purchased? I usually opt for 85% and buy Moser Roth and its ok.
    If i was to go elsewhere, who could suggest a brand and where it can be bought in Dublin.

Thanks

I was in Trinidad for Carnival a few months ago and brought back chocolate from Grenada Chocolate Company. Incredible chocolate and certainly the
    best I've had.

It's not available in Ireland but can be ordered from the UK - and it's available in 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Chocolate with that high a cacao content would be primarily used for cooking wouldn't it? I can't imagine it would be that pleasant to eat on it's own. For me about 70-85% is about as high as I'd want to go for an 'eating' chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Tesco have a 100g bar that is 94%. It's about €1.20. They also have a bar at about 70-80% that is under a Euro. I dout the stuff is "fairtrade" but it's the cheapest high coaco chocolate around. It's for baking not eating though as it's too bitter for eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thanks for you input on this. Usually never in Lidl, so ill give them a try

the Trinidadian stuff sounds amazing. Does Lindt go up to 99%? Woah
    Im at 85% which is fine for me.
    Ill take a peek in tescos too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The 99% stuff is not just for baking, some dieters eat it for a chocolate fix knowing they cannot scoff the lot.

I have noticed far more fancy expensive high % stuff in the baking sections now, like green & black and tesco own brand stuff.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255774919

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

anything higher than 80% is nearly unedible. Have had 100% and it just unbelievable bitter.

Interestingly, Mary Berry recommends 39% solids dark chocolate for all her baking. I think 70% is more than adequate (stick 2/3 squares into your typical rice crispie bun mix - epic).

You get what you pay for in chocolate....I find some of the poorer quality 60-70% in tesco are cloyinginly (is that a word) sweet. They dont melt as easily and the overall flavour seems to be a little different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The lidl high coco % present chocolate seems to be popular. I do know of some people who eats a couple of squares if really dark chocolate because they feel it better for them than a normal bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The lidl JD Gross ones with caramel or orange bits are lovely. I havent tried the raspberry yet. The aldi Moser Roth one is only around 50% and is too sweet.

I think 70ish% is as high enough for me. I still like a bit of sweetness.

Advertisement