Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am moving to Cork City from London and planning to rent a one bedroom flat. Bills?

Options
  • 14-07-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey, guys, I am moving to Cork City next month for work and planning to rent a one bedroom flat in Cork City Centre. Could you give me an idea of what bills I should be expecting on top of the rent. The rent is 660 euros and no bills included. In the UK we have council tax, gas, electricity, water etc. what about Cork? Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Hi,your only bills will be gas and elec which would be around €30/40 each a month,depending on usage.That would be average figure.In Ireland there is no Council tax but a property tax which would be paid by the landlord.There are no water charges here as of yet but they will be coming in the next few years.
    By the way,Cork is but a village next to London.I hope you don't get bored easily.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Don't forget the bins! Back home, the bins would be included in the council tax, but here, it's separate. Bins are usually taken once a fortnight(!!) . So it'll be general refuse one week, the recycling the next. There's a yearly charge, then you have to pay for each lift which is about E6 if the bin co. is Countryclean. Find out what the arrangements are. Some landlords (like mine) will pay the yearly charge and we pay for the lifts. Others might expect you to pay the whole charge.

Sky is a lot more expensive here, and I'm afraid there isn't as much choice as we get in London. It's either Sky or UPC and BOTH are as expensive as each other! No BT Sport as yet, but think it'll be carried by Setanta.

If you want internet, there's plenty of mobile as well as landline suppliers. The usual mobile suspects are here; i.e 3, Voda and O2. There's also Meteor and eMobile. Landline suppliers Voda and Eircom being the main ones.

As Rhys Essien says, the water rates will be coming soon - I think from late 2014, and I would assume the tenant will be paying for this. Meters are supposed to be fitted soon.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Grustel25

Oh excellent. Thanks so much for your replies! In London, the person who lives in the flat, be it the landlord or tenant, is responsible for paying the council tax. So I thought, maybe, the property tax in ireland is paid by the tenant too.

It's supposed to be paid by the landlord. Mind you, some might put up the rent to cover it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

you will also need to buy a tv licence even if you are paying for Sky or UPC,

and depending on what type of heating you have you might just have an electric bill OR electric and a gas bill OR electric and an oil bill...

• Advertisement

TV Licence is E160. You can buy E4 stamps at the Post Office if you want to save up for it.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    you will also need to buy a tv licence even if you are paying for Sky or UPC,

and depending on what type of heating you have you might just have an electric bill OR electric and a gas bill OR electric and an oil bill...

Hmmm...wow. Didn't know there is such a choice of bills, hehe. I guess there is a lot for me to learn once I get there. Excited and a bit scared now.

Grustel25 wrote: »
    Hmmm...wow. Didn't know there is such a choice of bills, hehe. I guess there is a lot for me to learn once I get there. Excited and a bit scared now.

its not really a choice, apartments in Ireland either have electric storage heating or gas heating or oil heating,

which ever you have will effect what bills you have. :D

One thing I would say - avoid electric storage heating if you can!

Other than that - Fáilte go Corcaigh! (Welcome to Cork) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If you are renting a flat in an apartment block, often there will be a communal bin provided by the management company and paid for through management fees paid for by the landlord. So hopefully you can cross that one off your list.

• Advertisement

One thing I would say - avoid electric storage heating if you can!

Other than that - Fáilte go Corcaigh! (Welcome to Cork) :)

Oh, thank you. So electric storage is more expensive than the other type of heating?

Oh, thank you. So electric storage is more expensive than the other type of heating?

we were paying electric bills of €400-€500 every two months with it,

since we moved to a gas heated apartment thats bigger our bills are

Elec - €100

gas - €100

and we are no longer cold, so yes it is very expensive for the user, but its installed cheaply by landlords hence its still around.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    we were paying electric bills of €400-€500 every two months with it,

since we moved to a gas heated apartment thats bigger our bills are

Elec - €100

gas - €100

and we are no longer cold, so yes it is very expensive for the user, but its installed cheaply by landlords hence its still around.

Wow....that's I noticed while looking for places to rent. Most of them do use electric heating. Crazy. Thanks a lot for your advice. Much appreciated.

Knasher wrote: »
    If you are renting a flat in an apartment block, often there will be a communal bin provided by the management company and paid for through management fees paid for by the landlord. So hopefully you can cross that one off your list.

Hopefully, yes. Make sure the landlord is up to date with the fees though if there's a communal bin. Get proof if you can. Same with the parking spaces . if any. Otherwise you could be in for a world of pain...

Yes. Oil isn't cheap either...

Advertisement