Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby swimming classes - Dublin

Options
  • 14-07-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend some parent and baby swimming classes in dublin south/west? If you know the cost offhand too, it would be great. Little man is 4.5 months now and he's hyper so I'm hoping swimming might tire him out a bit as well as giving him the gift of loving water (a gift that has evaded me all my life!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I go to the CRC in clontarf - they aren't lessons just parents and babies....tires the babies out no end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Swan leisure in rathmines do them I think, and cheeverstorb have parent and baby swim lessons on a Friday... I love the pool there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I've always brought my little one to the local pool swimming classes - Tallaght Leisure Centre - splash & swim is the name of the class. They cost €64 for 8 classes, so great value. Have been bringing her since she was 2 months. I just buy wetsuits for her from Amazon or Ebay to make sure she's not cold.

Clondalkin Pool also run them for the same price. They're finished now for the summer unfortunately, but due to start again at the beginning of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks everyone. Cheeverstown would be very handy so ill check it out. Where did you buy swimming suits for your baby? Is it an all in one wetsuit type suit that you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Cheeverstown would be very handy so ill check it out. Where did you buy swimming suits for your baby? Is it an all in one wetsuit type suit that you get?

Hey YH we have our little guy in pool since 10 weeks we just brought him to kids pool in our gym, water is slightly heated and he loves it. We just bought him a two piece suit from penneys. He loves the water and generally conks out before I even leave the changing room. We went up 2 weeks a go on a fri evening and they wouldn't let us in as no children after 5pm it was 7:30 we went with the idea that after swim give him a feed and he might sleep for night. Thankfully he's started to sleep through now.... well the last few nights so hope it lasts :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

This is what my son has worn since he started at 12 weeks. He wears a disposable swim nappy under earth. He did the waterbabies classes a d they insist on the double nappy system as it prevents any leaks if they poo while in the pool

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000KVOASC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1373912610&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

Also in pools less that 31oc he'd wear one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0027XDUBE/ref=pd_aw_sim_by_4?pi=SL500_SS115

Btw the long swim suits or uv suits actually make them colder as it retains the water close to their skin. We noticed this with our son in Spain last year. It was a sorching day but he was in a uv suit and he started shivering and his lips were blue. We were since advised not to use them for swimming. They're fine for sitting on thr beach but take them off straight away when they're wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I started bring my LO to waterbabies when she was 3 months old.
    It is expensive Eur200 per term (10 classes) but have to say its worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We've decided to take our son out so he's been with them for over two years. We are really sad and conflicted about it as he loves the classes but with no.2 here now we can't afford to have both of them go. We're going to get a family membership of a pool and go at the weekends instead.

If you're going to cheeverstown then a normal swimsuit is fine, but if you're going to a normal pool, I'd definitely get a wetsuit like the link How Strange put up. Very reasonable on Amazon or Ebay.

How Strange - that's exactly why I didn't go to Waterbabies or Aquababies - just too expensive, whereas the ones in my local pool are so reasonable. No. 2 is due in November, so come next January or February I'll have 2 going, but should still be able to afford it I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭uli84

Is there anyone to give some instructions on those pools or you just take your baby and do what you think is right(?)

• Advertisement

The ones I go to are baby swimming lessons, so there's an instructer.

Advertisement