Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denied free upgrade to 24mb.

Options
  • 14-07-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

I have been a loyal Eircom customer for many years and have never had switched provider. I have been recently looking at the packages available on the website and yesterday I noticed on the website that when I typed in my landline number, I was being told that I could avail of a free upgrade to 24mb if I called 1800661222. I called this number and they denied me the free upgrade even though the Eircom website is saying the opposite when I entered my details and checked the line.

I am very disappointed by the treatment of the Eircom team who were unable to explain why the website was telling me that I could get a free upgrade by calling them and they were unable to provide this.

I would like to ensure that this matter is looked into and that my line is upgraded to the 24mb for free as promised by the Eircom website. Otherwise, I will be service provider as I have grown sick and tired of the slow broadband speed on my line and being denied the free upgrade to 24mb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I think it was last month when eircom decided to get rid of the up to 8mb packages and only have the up to 24mb for show on the website, that is why when you put your number into the check it showed it was able for the up to 24mb package, but your line itself might only be able to take under 8mb which is why they denied you the free upgrade to 24mb.
    Give tech support a ring and ask them what the line is capable of handling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi

I have been a loyal Eircom customer for many years and have never had switched provider. I have been recently looking at the packages available on the website and yesterday I noticed on the website that when I typed in my landline number, I was being told that I could avail of a free upgrade to 24mb if I called 1800661222. I called this number and they denied me the free upgrade even though the Eircom website is saying the opposite when I entered my details and checked the line.

I am very disappointed by the treatment of the Eircom team who were unable to explain why the website was telling me that I could get a free upgrade by calling them and they were unable to provide this.

I would like to ensure that this matter is looked into and that my line is upgraded to the 24mb for free as promised by the Eircom website. Otherwise, I will be service provider as I have grown sick and tired of the slow broadband speed on my line and being denied the free upgrade to 24mb.
    Hi theroomisonfire

The above advice from allen175 may be the case and if you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look into what the issues is and what speeds your line can handle.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

allen175 wrote: »
    I think it was last month when eircom decided to get rid of the up to 8mb packages and only have the up to 24mb for show on the website, that is why when you put your number into the check it showed it was able for the up to 24mb package, but your line itself might only be able to take under 8mb which is why they denied you the free upgrade to 24mb.
    Give tech support a ring and ask them what the line is capable of handling.

I just don't see why they are saying that a free upgrade is available when that is not the case. I was told that I could get an upgrade to 8mb but that I would have to pay!

PM sent
    Hi theroomisonfire

The above advice from allen175 may be the case and if you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look into what the issues is and what speeds your line can handle.

Al

PM sent
    Hi theroomisonfire

Thanks for PM'ing me your details.

I have looked into why you have been denied an upgrade and my checks have concluded two reasons which prevents a possible upgrade:
    Firstly, as your line is not NGB (next generation broadband) enabled it does not qualify for the upgrade and secondly, due to your lines distance from the exchange the max speeds your line can hold is up to 5MB.

I would also like to reply to your post in relation to paying more for up to 8mb. An upgrade to up to 8mb is indeed available to you however please note that the term (up to ) is used and from my findings the max speed available to you is up to 5mb and as you are currently subscribed to a up to 3mb service I feel that you would only notice an maximum increase of around 2mb. I understand that it seems unfair that you would have to pay more for such an upgrade to up to 8mb especially considering that people in an NGB area can get a free upgrade howvever I can assure you that I am sending such feedback to operations with the hope that changes are made to this soon. I apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,.
    Thank you for your response.

I was fully aware of the phrase "up to" 24mb and I expected that I would be upgrade for free so that I could get the high highest speeds available on my line up to 24mb. I would therefore expect to be getting g the 5mb speeds that you state the line is capable of.

Although, the difference between 3mb and 5mb may seem small to you, this would represent a notable difference in speeds and would be almost double the current speed that I am capped at.

I really do not u derating why I can not get the higher speed for free given that the line is capable of 5mb
    Hi theroomisonfire

Thanks for PM'ing me your details.

I have looked into why you have been denied an upgrade and my checks have concluded two reasons which prevents a possible upgrade:
    Firstly, as your line is not NGB (next generation broadband) enabled it does not qualify for the upgrade and secondly, due to your lines distance from the exchange the max speeds your line can hold is up to 5MB.

I would also like to reply to your post in relation to paying more for up to 8mb. An upgrade to up to 8mb is indeed available to you however please note that the term (up to ) is used and from my findings the max speed available to you is up to 5mb and as you are currently subscribed to a up to 3mb service I feel that you would only notice an maximum increase of around 2mb. I understand that it seems unfair that you would have to pay more for such an upgrade to up to 8mb especially considering that people in an NGB area can get a free upgrade howvever I can assure you that I am sending such feedback to operations with the hope that changes are made to this soon. I apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

Thanks

Al

Hi Alan,.
    Thank you for your response.

I was fully aware of the phrase "up to" 24mb and I expected that I would be upgrade for free so that I could get the high highest speeds available on my line up to 24mb. I would therefore expect to be getting g the 5mb speeds that you state the line is capable of.

Although, the difference between 3mb and 5mb may seem small to you, this would represent a notable difference in speeds and would be almost double the current speed that I am capped at.

I really do not u derating why I can not get the higher speed for free given that the line is capable of 5mb
    Hi theroomisonfire

No offence was intended and I was reallyjust trying to help and shed more light on why an upgrade to 24mb is not possible. Unfortunately an upgrade to up to 5mb is not available as I have tried to explain in my previous post your exchange is not NGB enabled. If you wish to enquire on upgrading to standard non NGB up to 7mb (which should offer you up to 5mb speeds) please contact 1800503303 option 3.

Al

Advertisement