Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's football (aka soccer)

• 14-07-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Do you like women's football, or do you hate it?

Women's football 42 votes

Yes I love it
    0%
    It's the same as the men's game, but with women playing
    4%
    davyccMars Bar 2 votes
    I don't care
    38%
    mayordeniscichlid childArmaniJeanssXavi6dfx-AmiraniUlysses GazeGavRedKingFerris_BuellernippswadacrackMr BlobbyLawrence1895G.K.Prop Joelertsnim 16 votes
    No, I love the men's game
    57%
    Neil3030KoldKingp35applehuntermicksbad2daboneNailzxtal191FearDarkRed CrowadaminhogebbelGadgeNuri SahinMorzadecCSFTheRedDevil10the incredible puddingben.schlomoScummyMan 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well as a football playing female, yes, I do love it. I love it just as much as I love men's football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Leiva wrote: »
    nuff said! :D

then ya have this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

touché Mars. touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The game between Spain and England was a very entertaining game, sad for the English women but a good game. There are some very watchable women's games and some dreadful ones, just the same as men's game. Height of keepers is biggest issue for female keepers, not a lot they can do about it, so are going to get lobbed more, flap at crosses more and generally beaten by shots male keepers might not. Just not as physically imposing as a lot of male keepers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Outrageous save there . Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Crucially, I don't think women's football will ever be able to match the fan culture that you get at even extremely low levels of football. As a result most people end up not caring. When Arsenal ladies can't even hit 1000 for pretty much all games, it is hard for women's football to become in any way topical.

I do think the goalposts should be a bit smaller alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

standard has improved greatly and you get a lot of great exciting games, the only let down for me would be the goalkeeping. other than that i enjoy watching the odd time its on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Apart from the goalies its not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't care
    It's a fine enough game.

The thing that annoys me most about it is the constant comparison to the men's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't care
    Why would you "hate" it? :confused:

I work on the W-League over here and the standard of football is excellent, improving every year.

At first I was skeptical about the whole thing but then I played against one of the current Australian team in a 5-a-side match. I play at a decent amateur standard and couldn't get near her, it was all a bit embarrassing really :o

The main difference is the physicality - the women's game is a lot more 'polite' so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Used to manage a team here a few yrs back, Some of the teams we played were very good technically, i could see it taking off big time in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I've seen a good few games in the Women's National League and there are some very talented players out there. 2 things struck me though. Firstly, the pace is much slower, even taking in to account the physical differences between men and women. The other this is that the majority of players in every team seem to be young girls with very few over the age of 21, so mature women don't seem to stay in the game. Perhaps this will change as the league develops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

oldyouth wrote: »
    I've seen a good few games in the Women's National League and there are some very talented players out there. 2 things struck me though. Firstly, the pace is much slower, even taking in to account the physical differences between men and women. The other this is that the majority of players in every team seem to be young girls with very few over the age of 21, so mature women don't seem to stay in the game. Perhaps this will change as the league develops.

I've noticed that it is slower. It is also less physical. Yes, they do have tackles and injuries. Yes they do have diving like the men, c'mon the Germans are expert at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The goals need to be smaller and pitches need to be shorter/narrower. The lack of physical contact/tackles also makes the games rather soporific

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't care
    mike65 wrote: »
    The goals need to be smaller and pitches need to be shorter/narrower. The lack of physical contact/tackles also makes the games rather soporific

I'm not so sure this is the case. In the past I would've agreed, but of late the games are looking a lot more natural on the full size pitch and goals.

Plenty of people disregard it without having watched a match. It will naturally never reach the standard of the men's game, but that doesn't necessarily matter. If you are a proper football fan, you'll at least give it a chance. Unsurprisingly, the people who slate it most at every opportunity are the same people who've never watched a club game that hasn't involved an English or Spanish club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Leiva wrote: »

To be honest I think one is even worse!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    then ya have this

Jesus I'd never seen that before - that is some save. Adjusting for physical disadvantage etc... I would go as far to say that could be better than anything I've seen in the men's game - the follow-up 2nd save showed incredible bravery, strength and determination.

To be honest i don't watch or know all that much about Women's football. The few games I've seen I found a little stale - it might even be because of the crowd, there somehow doesn't seem to be the same atmosphere, the same sense of occasion.

However, some of the highlights from the Olympics looked good and I heard there were some great games.

I think there's definitely merit to the argument of shortening the pitch and making the goals smaller - from what I've seen the goalkeeper's often struggle under high balls which is understandable given the fact that there are not many 6'4 women in the world.

Shortening the pitch would make it faster-paced and more exciting too.

I don't care
    then ya have this

Ball does go in though I think:p

dfx- wrote: »
    Ball does go in though I think:p

Big debate about it at the time alright! I think Solo had both hands on the ball so the attacker made an illegal move. Really hard one for the ref to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Female players are small and technically gifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

I coach in women's/girls football over here in Glasgow, the sport is rising quickly and the talent is actually very very good. We have a couple of Irish internationals playing in our first team now and they are preparing for the Champions League next month.

It's very underrated, the girls are technically gifted, not as physical and fast as the men, but technically they are gifted players.

Thought the Sweden Germany game was an excellent advert for women's football. Decent tournament all round really, so far, apart from England's dreadful no show. Powell out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That's a genuinely world class save from the keeper in that video, but for the most part it's the goalies that ruin the women's game. The standard is absolutely abysmal. Hopefully Hope Solo is a sign of things to come because that's a save deserving of the very highest levels of the sport

TheBuilder wrote: »
    I coach in women's/girls football over here in Glasgow, the sport is rising quickly and the talent is actually very very good. We have a couple of Irish internationals playing in our first team now and they are preparing for the Champions League next month.

It's very underrated, the girls are technically gifted, not as physical and fast as the men, but technically they are gifted players.

Denise O' Sullivan left Cork to sign for Glasgow Celtic. Hope it goes well for her!
    Thought the Sweden Germany game was an excellent advert for women's football. Decent tournament all round really, so far, apart from England's dreadful no show. Powell out!

Three Scandanavian teams in the semi finals!
    Should be a good final between Germany and Norway!
    COYVB wrote: »
    That's a genuinely world class save from the keeper in that video, but for the most part it's the goalies that ruin the women's game. The standard is absolutely abysmal. Hopefully Hope Solo is a sign of things to come because that's a save deserving of the very highest levels of the sport

Her career could have been finished due to a serious shoulder injury but she was having none of it. She's a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was an advert for terrible finishing. Sweden couldn't shoot straight at all. The German keeper did very well though staying big and moving quickly to close down (stopper are usually awful in the womens game).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Top women football is the same as very low level men football.
    Having 1 very good player and a top GK will win you leagues, championships.

Women football in Holland is/was on the rise, so they decided to put the Dutch matches of this Euro's live on tv, including analyst and all that crap.
    Probably the worst thing that could happen to Dutch women football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Athletic women running around in tight kits.

Yeah, hate it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Athletic women running around in tight kits.

Yeah, hate it. :pac:

For that you have to go to field hockey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't care
    Euros is being expanded to 16 teams in 2017, which should bring Ireland into the mix for qualification (currently ranked 19th in Europe).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I don't care
    Germany's goalie was outstanding against Sweden, that's for sure :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Denise O' Sullivan left Cork to sign for Glasgow Celtic. Hope it goes well for her

Glasgow City she signed for mate, we're much better than Celtic ;)

Bleh, that's what I meant to write!

I don't care

Powell must be under pressure. In pre-tournament interviews, she seemed very cranky and dismissive

Powell must be under pressure. In pre-tournament interviews, she seemed very cranky and dismissive

She has been there so long, and initially, way back when, did do well bringing the team on a bit, she thinks she is unsackable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

OVER THE LINE!!!

Liam O wrote: »
    OVER THE LINE!!!

:pac:

See post #21!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Liam O wrote: »
    OVER THE LINE!!!
    :pac:

See post #21!

WalterSobchak.png

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

She has been there so long, and initially, way back when, did do well bringing the team on a bit, she thinks she is unsackable.

And she got the Team GB manager and they didn't fair any better either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Me and 10 of my mates would beat the women's world champions. Easily. Even after a night on the beer.

If that opinion ever changes, maybe then I'll respect the sport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Women should stay away from contact sports. Not very ladylike is it.

I mean I was happy out for Katy Taylor but who wants to watch women box?

Me and 10 of my mates would beat the women's world champions. Easily. Even after a night on the beer.

If that opinion ever changes, maybe then I'll respect the sport!

No, ye wouldn't.
    Women should stay away from contact sports. Not very ladylike is it.

I mean I was happy out for Katy Taylor but who wants to watch women box?

I don't usually use this emoticon but I feel it's highly appropriate here. :rolleyes:

The professional men in the game are very much making it into a sissy non-contact game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

And even at that look at the state of the woman's tennis game with all the grunting.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

I don't care
    applehunter, Chancer3001, don't post in the thread again.

I don't care
    Excellent save from the second penalty by the German keeper in the Euro final. Also great composure to get the goal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Plenty of drama in this final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I don't care
    No, ye wouldn't.

The USWNT, the best in the world, were beaten 8-2 by the U-17 US Boys team a year ago and have been beaten handily by under 15 boys club teams as well.

Maybe not after a night on the beer though!

Congrats to the Germans, consistent as ever.

I didn't get to watch it so I have it recorded. Hopefully I'll get a chance to view it sometime over the week

Ireland U17's have just beaten Bosnia and Herzegovina 12-1 in Russia!

• Advertisement
Advertisement