Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maggots In Lambs

• 14-07-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I have A Few Lambs With Maggots? I Have Plans To Bring Them 2 Factory On Wed,, Will They Kill Them For Me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

farmers101 wrote: »
    I have A Few Lambs With Maggots? I Have Plans To Bring Them 2 Factory On Wed,, Will They Kill Them For Me?

Can you cut out the maggots? (I mean cut all the dirty wool where the maggots are, and try to pick em off as best you can)
    But maybe you have already done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Why would you not kill the maggots yourself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭farmers101

Thanks For The Help. I Am New To The Sheep Business,, How Would ya kill the maggots? sheep dip? what is the withdrawal on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Thanks For The Help. I Am New To The Sheep Business,, How Would ya kill the maggots? sheep dip? what is the withdrawal on it?

I think sheep dip withdrawal could be around 14 days, so I wouldn't use it.

Do you have hand shears?

If twas me i'd cut out the dirty patch of wool where the maggots are, and a bit of the clean wool around it, bare it down as close to the skin as you can, pick out as many of the maggots as you can. You'll find they'll prob be in a big kinda 'ball'..

Check if there is any blowfly, and cut this off as well if you can.

I imagine the factory will take them, but don't leave them as they are for 2 days, they'll be eaten alive the poor bastards... :(

I dunno if you have other lambs left, if you do, you might want to think about treating them, just to make your life easier as dealing with maggots is a pain... Clikzan is only 1 week withdrawal as far as I remember. Or you could use a knapsack sprayer with normal sheep dip, and give them a good dousing. But you'd need to check the withdrawal times.

Edit : best of luck, it's not a very nice task first thing on a Monday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I think sheep dip withdrawal could be around 14 days, so I wouldn't use it.

Do you have hand shears?

If twas me i'd cut out the dirty patch of wool where the maggots are, and a bit of the clean wool around it, bare it down as close to the skin as you can, pick out as many of the maggots as you can. You'll find they'll prob be in a big kinda 'ball'..

Check if there is any blowfly, and cut this off as well if you can.

I imagine the factory will take them, but don't leave them as they are for 2 days, they'll be eaten alive the poor bastards... :(

I dunno if you have other lambs left, if you do, you might want to think about treating them, just to make your life easier as dealing with maggots is a pain... Clikzan is only 1 week withdrawal as far as I remember. Or you could use a knapsack sprayer with normal sheep dip, and give them a good dousing. But you'd need to check the withdrawal times.

Edit : best of luck, it's not a very nice task first thing on a Monday :(

I use very dilute Jeyes Fluid on any affected lambs, kills any maggots I miss, and prevents repeated attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the maggots have broken the skin the factory may condemn the carcase, treat the lambs that have maggots and send the rest to the factory, the treated lambs could be brought to the mart in a week or two, if the maggots have been in the lambs for more than a few days they may not be fit for the factory as the weight falls off them when they get maggoty, if the maggots haven't broken the skin and the lambs are still good enough for the factory cut the wool from the affected area and put salty water on them ,it will keep maggots away for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

If you're using osmunda or coopers dip which is pirethean based the witdhdrawl period is seventy days. Dilute Keyes fluid or battles disinfectant on the wool after cutting out around the infected area. Make sure you cut a bigger area than what you see affected as the maggots can be in a more spread area.

Advertisement