Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stewart Lee on Top Gear

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I didn't find this funny at all . It bored me to death .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

While a agree with some of the points he made he ended up making a fool of himself which wasn't funny really. If I want to see that kind of stuff ill go to my local pub at 11am and talk with the experts on life at the bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Stewart Lee, the most over-rated comedian around....some people (arse types) say they like him just to be trendy/cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Never heard of him before this thread, is he famous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Sorry never heard or saw him until this clip. Didn't think he was particularly funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Thought he started well, but he Richard Hammond stuff got a little tedious. I actually liked Stewart Lee, not any more. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Thought he started well, but he Richard Hammond stuff got a little tedious. I actually liked Stewart Lee, not any more. :o

I think maybe be stepped over the line when he was talking about Hammond dying in the crash . If you need to resort to that material , you are not really a good comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I think maybe be stepped over the line when he was talking about Hammond dying in the crash . If you need to resort to that material , you are not really a good comedian.

But that was the whole point of what he was trying to do - "Using an exaggerated form of the rhetoric and the implied values of Top Gear to satirise the rhetoric and the implied values of Top Gear."

Jeremy Clarkson regularly "steps over the line" and makes comments that a lot of people find offensive (really crass stuff about Mexicans; suicide victims; gay people; truck drivers murdering prostitutes, etc). And when people inevitably complain, his defence is that it was "only a joke" and that anybody who takes offence is just a humourless Guardian-reading lefty. Stewart Lee is merely taking the "it was only a joke" response to its logical conclusion, in order to highlight how stupid it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

delivery is a major aspect of jokes like that tho, clarksons famous truckdrivers murder prostitutes joke had excellent satiric delivery, even his bit on the one show about machine gunning striking rail workers had the right level of satire, just unfortunately the wrong audience elements.

Stewart lee dosent have that kind of style, he comes across as a sanctimonious arsehole, did he say anything about may, I couldn't suffer it to the end

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

ooooohhhh salty thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    delivery is a major aspect of jokes like that tho, clarksons famous truckdrivers murder prostitutes joke had excellent satiric delivery

Not sure about the delivery of this particular gem.

It's not funny, it just comes across as crass and desperate.
    I commend Mr. Lee for taking issue with it publicly.

fryup wrote: »
    Stewart Lee, the most over-rated comedian around....some people (arse types) say they like him just to be trendy/cool

Terrible comment to make.
    So "people that like stuff you don't like = Arse types". Cool...

I think Jimmy Carr is far more overrated but I don't think people that like him are trying to be cool or trendy. They just have different tastes maybe...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Stewart Lee is ****e.

Painful to listen to.

Advertisement