Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sunburned dog

• 14-07-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

One of my dogs has got some bad sunburn it seems on his testicles they have become swollen and very very red , this dog does not seem to be coping well in this heat he has become very lethargic and grumpy
    Is there anything I can do to help him with his sunburn I have put on vaseline with aloe vera in it to help him and im not sure if that was right,, is there anything else I can do

My regular trusted vet is away till Wednesday

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I wouldn't think Vaseline is such a good idea tbh... I think the oiliness of it is not good to apply to a burn. In fact, you might be better off putting nothing on other than cool (not madly cold) water.
    He needs to be kept cool, perhaps put a cold water bottle with ice in it under him, and I would be strongly inclined to go to the vet with him tomorrow if he's not significantly better by morning. Your trusted vet presumably has someone standing in for him/her?
    I'm not sure how he got burned on his testicles unless he was lying on the broad of his back for a long time, but you also need to be sure this is sunburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

BluesBerry wrote: »
    One of my dogs has got some bad sunburn it seems on his testicles they have become swollen and very very red , this dog does not seem to be coping well in this heat he has become very lethargic and grumpy
    Is there anything I can do to help him with his sunburn I have put on vaseline with aloe vera in it to help him and im not sure if that was right,, is there anything else I can do

My regular trusted vet is away till Wednesday

i would be inclined to agree with dbb make sure its sunburn only you are dealing with it would not be like a dog to lie in a position long enough to allow this to happen if they are not sun lovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Was he maybe lying in grass trying to cool off and is having a reaction? Poor dog either way! How about ringing out a towel/cloth and putting it in the freezer for a few mins to make a compress for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Well since this heatwave my dog has become miserable , and yes t looks like sunburn Ive giving him a bath in tepid water to cool him down tonight as I have been doing every 2 days . I believe it is sunburn because he has been lying in the sun and going to the shade and then into the house to cool of on the tiles when it suits him but he does seem to prefer to be out in the garden more .

It never occurred to me to put sunscreen on him but it has all the signs of sunburn , he was just in the vets thursday and got a full clean bill of health so I dont believe it is anything serious (hopefully) ,, he is due to be neutered on the 19 of july , Im wondering is this common it has to be sore for him and was just asking for a temporary solution as to what I can apply to it ease it for him until I can take him to the vet he is a pure white cross dog

tk123 wrote: »
    Was he maybe lying in grass trying to cool off and is having a reaction? Poor dog either way! How about ringing out a towel/cloth and putting it in the freezer for a few mins to make a compress for him?

Thanks Ill try that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The heat is really draining dogs, but I'd imagine it's even worse for a pale-skinned dog. I'm still nonplussed though as to how the sunlight got access to his testicles? I'm not meaning to sound smart here at all, I'm genuinely interested! Is he burned anywhere else? If not, then you'd have to wonder what exactly is going on here, could be a coincidental problem which is not due to the sun at all... Could he have been stung (nettle, bee, wasp, ant etc)? Could it be an allergy? An infection?
    The cool bath was a good plan, just to give him relief, but again, I'd be off to the vet tomorrow if there's no improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

have you tried after sun cream might help

DBB wrote: »
    The heat is really draining dogs, but I'd imagine it's even worse for a pale-skinned dog. I'm still nonplussed though as to how the sunlight got access to his testicles? I'm not meaning to sound smart here at all, I'm genuinely interested! Is he burned anywhere else? If not, then you'd have to wonder what exactly is going on here, could be a coincidental problem which is not due to the sun at all... Could he have been stung (nettle, bee, wasp, ant etc)? Could it be an allergy? An infection?
    The cool bath was a good plan, just to give him relief, but again, I'd be off to the vet tomorrow if there's no improvement.

I never thought of bee stings it could be that maybe My vet gives out piroten (sp) antihistamine to lots of dogs I could give him one maybe
    dangerus06 wrote: »
    have you tried after sun cream might help

I have after sun I might try that I was just afraid that dogs don't do well with human remedies and it could sting him

I dont want to cause him extra discomfort by applying something that could sting him or make him sick the vaseline seemed to be ok I have used that for his paws before hence why i used it again , has anyone ever dealt with this before

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Wrong forum, gowley.
    Let's stay on topic, and helpful posts only please.
    Do not reply to this edit on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

BluesBerry wrote: »
    I never thought of bee stings it could be that maybe My vet gives out piroten (sp) antihistamine to lots of dogs I could give him one maybe

I have after sun I might try that I was just afraid that dogs don't do well with human remedies and it could sting him

I dont want to cause him extra discomfort by applying something that could sting him or make him sick the vaseline seemed to be ok I have used that for his paws before hence why i used it again , has anyone ever dealt with this before

Please don't put anything on him till you get him to a vet. There are so many things it could be, and sunburn doesn't sound the most likely. Yeast infection is one possibility, but the fact that his testicles are swollen could mean something more serious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement