Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with HDMI sound output.

• 14-07-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

I'm having an issue with my Hitachi TV in relation to the sound output when connected via HDMI.

The issue is that there is no audio when they picture displayed on the screen is a bright image, for example, a flash of light in a movie etc. Everytime a bright image is shown the audio makes a popping sound and cuts out but only when the image is largely a bright image.

It is very strange because whenever there is a dark picture on the screen it works normally.

This only happens on the HDMI output and not through the SCART. It occurs on the PS3 and also when the laptop is hooked up.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Have you tried a different cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Try a HDMI 1.4 cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

There is no such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable. You do need a new cable if you want to avail of the Ethernet channel but the cable types are still known simply as standard & high speed, 'with Ethernet' if they support this function.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Flecktarn wrote: »
    I'm having an issue with my Hitachi TV in relation to the sound output when connected via HDMI.

The issue is that there is no audio when they picture displayed on the screen is a bright image, for example, a flash of light in a movie etc. Everytime a bright image is shown the audio makes a popping sound and cuts out but only when the image is largely a bright image.

It is very strange because whenever there is a dark picture on the screen it works normally.

This only happens on the HDMI output and not through the SCART. It occurs on the PS3 and also when the laptop is hooked up.

Any ideas?

First and most obvious thing to do is try another cable.

If that doesnt work , then its most like the HDMI circuitry within your TV that is damaged. In Which case its new TV time as having such things repaired is usually not worth it.

Do you often switch between the laptop and PS3 and do you power down before doing so ?
    If you dont power down then this is what is called hotplugging , and is a known cause of damage to HDMI ports.
    So if it does turn out to be your TV , dont do this on your new one !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable.
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx#35

Then why does it mention a 1.4 cable in your link if there is no such thing?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

old_aussie wrote: »
    Then why does it mention a 1.4 cable in your link if there is no such thing?

The phrase 'HDMI 1.4 cable' isn't used anywhere I can see. Google 'HDMI 1.4 cable' & you will see that the manufacturers aren't even allowed describe their cables as such.

The OP has been given good advice wrt changing the cable, if they haven't already. Mention of a 'HDMI 1.4 cable' is no help whatsoever.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Then why does it mention a 1.4 cable in your link if there is no such thing?:rolleyes:

It doesnt mention a cable , it mentions new features introduced by the HDMI specification , in this case HDMI with ethernet , which is useless anyway , because no one has implemented that feature.

Cable manufacturers and sellers have been hoodwinking the public for years by misusing the HDMI 1.x numbers , which have never applied to cables , they only apply to the chipsets within the hardware.
    As such , there has been a clampdown , and now no-one is allowed to mention those numbers in relation to the marketing of any product on penalty of losing their licence.

See here ...
    http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/trademark_logo_pub.aspx

If you see those numbers on a cable or hear them from anyone trying to sell you a cable , your being lied too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

andy1249 wrote: »
    First and most obvious thing to do is try another cable.

If that doesnt work , then its most like the HDMI circuitry within your TV that is damaged. In Which case its new TV time as having such things repaired is usually not worth it.

Do you often switch between the laptop and PS3 and do you power down before doing so ?
    If you dont power down then this is what is called hotplugging , and is a known cause of damage to HDMI ports.
    So if it does turn out to be your TV , dont do this on your new one !

Yeah I forgot to mention I've tried a different cable but the problem persists so it's looking like she's a goner.

So in the future should I power off the PS3/laptop first and then the TV should be the last to be turned off?

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Yeah I forgot to mention I've tried a different cable but the problem persists so it's looking like she's a goner.

So in the future should I power off the PS3/laptop first and then the TV should be the last to be turned off?

TV and Source should be off while plugging or unplugging HDMI cables. Its the only way to be sure. It doesnt matter what order you turn them off in , just as long as both are off before making or breaking any connections.

Advertisement