Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity Surveying

Options
  • 14-07-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone. I am looking for some feed back please its regarding quantity surveying I am contemplating returning to study this course am a mature student with cons exp. Would like to know what employment in Ireland i like , plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest things havent improved much. Any advice on this would be appreciate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Post moved to the Mature Students forum as it may be the best place to get advice.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

aid2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am looking for some feed back please its regarding quantity surveying I am contemplating returning to study this course am a mature student with cons exp. Would like to know what employment in Ireland i like , plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest things havent improved much. Any advice on this would be appreciate
    I returned as a mature student with construction experience.I am studying QS in LIT,love the course and I am so glad I went back.I have completed 2nd year and I am about to head on a year long placement.

Job situation has improved in recent years,a lot of the graduate positions are however badly paid but this will improve.SCSI done a case study this year that shows there will be a shortage of QS's in Ireland by 2018,I know that probably sounds made but like a lot of construction professions,they have all emigrated.

Where are you thinking of going back to study?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aid2

Thanks for your reply. I am thinkin of doing course in DIT due to its proximity to home.My major concern is the future employment prospects but hopefully the benefits will accrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

aid2 wrote: »

Hey aid, I just finished 1st year Quantity Surveying in LIT and have found it a great course. I didn't come from a construction background, I did though have my own business and then sold it on.

I think that when things do pick up QS career opportunities and wages are going to rise significantly, it's just a matter of when is the economy going to grow! Just to illustrate the point, 1st year 2012/2013 there was 9 of us, 1st year in 2006/2007 there was about 170 students. Based on this when things do pick up there will definitely be a shortage of Quantity Surveyors. Also, the retirement rate in the industry is higher than the amount of QSs being produced. Currently this suits a shrinking construction sector but when growth does eventually occur demand is going to outstrip supply. Hopefully it will be back to inflated wage territory :D

There are other industry options as well, I'm working for the summer in the oil and gas industry and I'm currently based in London. Just keep in mind that there is demand for QSs in areas other than construction. I'm currently working on a project for an oil and gas plant that's costing USD$44 billion. Makes heading back to arguing about €500 very difficult.

I went for a mature student interview at DIT and LIT. DIT has a good course, from what I hear of it though it leans more towards the business side of quantity surveying, contracts and valuations, whereas LIT leans more towards the basics, mainly measurement and cost management. Also, 5 people enrolled into DIT's QS course last year, so you'll get plenty of attention.

Good luck with it, personally I'm delighted with the course I chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 atheercrg2015

hi all i interested to do part time quantity surveying and i was wondering if any of you knows how much will cost me and if there is any places in Dublin ,,thanks a alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 aid2

Part time quantity surveying courses available from Dublin Institute of Technology , Bolton Street ,Dublin. Its a six year course however if you have a relevant previous qualification you can apply for advanced entry route. It Costs approx 3,000.00 euros per year.

Also there is a part time Q.S degree level 8 available from IT Sligo via distance learning. Currently I am doing a part time Cons Mgt level 7 from Sligo via distance learning and plan to finish out on level 8 Q.S. Hope this is of assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I am currently employed in the Mechanical Engineering industry, Kind of fell into it, was self employed in financial services industry for 12 years, and am looking at doing the Bachelor of Science in QS IN CIT , in Cork, has anyone recently done this course, and if so can they please give an overview of how they are getting on / got on, and if it is a viable qualification, and does it lead on to furthur studies, and if so where?, need to make the right decision re a course now , as time and committments are a major factor.

Advertisement