Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improvements that are needed in GAA

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

jr86 wrote: »
    Fully agree

And the 65 has turned into essentially a tap over now for any half-decent free-taker

Way to punish a great defensive block or goalkeeper save that trickles out over the line

Imagine if touching down the ball in your own 22 in rugby automatically lead to a penalty kick for the opposition right under the posts

Maybe a 'Super 11' type 65 could be introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Pixel Eater

largepants wrote: »
    Maybe a 'Super 11' type 65 could be introduced?

What's a 'Super 11' type 65?

Could make then indirect. Or a sideline cut from the corner flag (or maybe the 13m line).

What's a 'Super 11' type 65?

Could make then indirect. Or a sideline cut from the corner flag (or maybe the 13m line).

Was watching hurling Super 11's at weekend. Granted you could only score goals and the pitch was shorter and narrower, the 65 was taken halfway between the goal and the sideline. It was taken like a free to one of three attackers about 30 out and that attacker had to take one touch on the hurley and then shoot. They shooter can be charged down by the defenders who are standing on the goal line until the 65 is taken.

Hope I explained that ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Complete bollocks.

Dublin has always had a much, much bigger population than any other county in the country.

However, in the nearly 30 years from the last Heffo All Ireland to the Pat Gilroy one (1983 to 2011) Dublin won a grand total of one All Ireland. One.

Yet no one gave a two hoots then, about splitting us up.

But they do now? For the good of the game. Yeah right !
    Not true actually-the strategic review committee recommended splitting Dublin in 2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

harpsman wrote: »
    Not true actually-the strategic review committee recommended splitting Dublin in 2001

Please don't.

Please don't.

Is there an ongoing attempt on here to gag anyone who says anything mildly negative about Dublin GAA?

It certainly looks like it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Is there an ongoing attempt on here to gag anyone who says anything mildly negative about Dublin GAA?

It certainly looks like it to me.

Bash away but the splitting talk has put many threads on the scrap heap.

Patww79 wrote: »

So if someone has an opinion that splitting Dublin would improve the GAA it is considering bashing.

Gotcha.

• Advertisement

Bash away but the splitting talk has put many threads on the scrap heap.

I'm not bashing anyone. I'm asking if its someone's opinion that splitting Dublin would be an improvement then why do you consider it bashing?

I'm not bashing anyone. I'm asking if its someone's opinion that splitting Dublin would be an improvement then why do you consider it bashing?

As I said, it's nothing to do with the inability to be criticised. We're more than used to it. But the splitting Dublin argument is tiresome. It literally goes nowhere.

I mean, for example, you think that splitting Dublin is good for the GAA. Now, where do we go from there? It's not the most expandable of topics especially one that has been done to death and resurrection and back to death again.

Where did I say it was a good idea?

As I said, it's nothing to do with the inability to be criticised. We're more than used to it. But the splitting Dublin argument is tiresome. It literally goes nowhere.

I mean, for example, you think that splitting Dublin is good for the GAA. Now, where do we go from there? It's not the most expandable of topics especially one that has been done to death and resurrection and back to death again.

I did? Could you kindly point out where I did that?

• Advertisement

I did? Could you kindly point out where I did that?

"For example..."

Jesus man.

Why would I want to do that when I don't agree with it?

"For example..."

Jesus man.

Well then why did you ask me 'where do we go from there'?

Jesus man

Well done you.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭MattressRick

It was probably mentioned here but the gaa need to do away with refs bringing their own family and amigos as umpires.
    Do umpires for intercounty championship need any formal training like refs?
    Seems like a stupid question for a simple job but so many gob****es have gotten the gig down through the years getting simple calls wrong and not seeing blatant fouls twenty feet in front.

I think last year's hurling final ref brought his father, brother, uncle and someone else or something like that. No big errors on the day but there's no way those 4 boys were the 4 best equipped people in Ireland on that Sunday for such an important match. Intercounty refs need to get the gig from quarter final stage onwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It was probably mentioned here but the gaa need to do away with refs bringing their own family and amigos as umpires.
    Seems like a stupid question for a simple job but so many gob****es have gotten the gig down through the years getting simple calls wrong and not seeing blatant fouls twenty feet in front.

I think last year's hurling final ref brought his father, brother, uncle and someone else or something like that. No big errors on the day but there's no way those 4 boys were the 4 best equipped people in Ireland on that Sunday for such an important match. Intercounty refs need to get the gig from quarter final stage onwards.
    Family run Pubs are often the best run Pubs .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

BarryD2 wrote: »
    OK, so how about amalgamating counties? Is that equally taboo?

Or is the GAA bound to the idea of counties as drawn up a few hundred years ago, regardless of the consequences?

You simply cannot ignore basic geography and population shifts.

Look at it a different way again. If Gaelic games ever do become professional teams, you'd have to see many county teams just shutting up shop. There's a problem there and it's as if people can't or won't see it.
    Its funny-all the things that improve the game and make sense but are taboo at intercounty- splitting behemoths, smaller teams merging, and a tiered championship structure have been done at club level, and surprise surprise, worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I dont necessarily think the umpires need to be inter county level referees but there needs to be a proper selection and assesment process for umpires as well as linesmen and referees.
    blinding wrote: »
    Family run Pubs are often the best run Pubs .
    And often theyre the worst for poor decisions because theyre family run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Agree with this, simple solution. Have a "B" panel of young referees do umpiring, give the referee 4 free tickets so their amigos can enjoy the game from the stands as a thanks for all the games they umpire at local grades.

Advertisement